Daktronics

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mechanical Design Student Interview

Mechanical Design Student
Brookings, SD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Daktronics in December 2009.

Interview Details – The first part of the interviewing process was a simple phone interview. This segment was used to collect basic information about me such as my university status, my former engineering experience (previous internships), and my schedule. My interviewer also informed me about the job I had applied for and some company logistics.

Within a week, I received a return call to set up a time for a panel interview at the corporate headquarters. The panel interview consisted of me being interviewed by five seasoned employees, one-by-one in a small room. Each interviewer worked in a different department and asked different questions aimed to expose my engineering ability based on past experiences and my responses to hypothetical situations. Some of the interviewers asked repeat questions, but mostly the questions were original.

I left this interview honestly very disappointed with myself and not expecting an offer. I was five minutes late to the interview because I couldn't find the right building (Daktronics has a wide multi-building campus), and I stuttered throughout the interview. I also found myself responding inconsistently to some of the same questions asked by different interviewers. However, about a week or two later, I received an offer. I would say that if you have a good resume, your chances of getting hired at Daktronics may be better than if you have a good interview. Because honestly, my performance at my interview was abhorrent but my resume was good.

Interview Question – Describe an experience where you had failed to achieve a goal. How did you respond?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At Daktronics, they prefer students to work 20 hours per week. They strongly encourage it, both in the way management talks to you and in a policy that grants a $1.00/hr bonus for students who reach this goal. Honestly, you shouldn't feel pressured by this. I have seen new student hires come in and work as little as 15 hours/week, and I work with some people who have even cut down to 12 hours. I used to work 20-hr weeks when I started, but it was very difficult to manage with school. If I had known that it wasn't a big deal to work less than 20 hours, I would have worked 15 when I started.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Daktronics

Worked for Daktronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Daktronics Mechanical Design Student interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Daktronics employees and interview candidates.