Dalhousie University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lab Assistant Interview

Lab Assistant

Interviewed at Dalhousie University

Interview Details – They hire students to work on campus in Internetworking department purely based on the grade of the student. In study break interested student ave to apply for the position and if it is available and you are best suited according to grades than other students who as applied you will be contacted by program manager.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Halifax, NS (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dalhousie University.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty informal. The team lead was looking for students to hire for a particular job, and did a fair amount of networking to figure out who would be best. He was committed to finding someone right for the position rather than filling headcount. We met over coffee, and talked about what needed to be done, and how my skills and experience would play into that. We also talked about whether and when I'd be available, and agreed to talk again closer to that time. It was clear that I was a good fit for the role and vice versa, so it was a natural choice.

Interview Question – Whether I had experience with specific technologies or products that might be important in the role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was pretty clear that the offer wasn't negotiable because of the way it was funded/structured. Cash compensation was low, but it was a fun gig, and offered an opportunity for networking.

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Halifax, NS (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dalhousie University in October 2012.

Interview Details – Anyone applying for a job that is not currently a member of one of Dalhousie's unions can expect to wait a while - usually over a month - for an interview callback. Dalhousie is required to screen all potential internal candidates before they start to contact external applicants.

Interviews are also done by department (for the Halifax campus, anyway) so there is no centralized interview done by HR. Because of this, your questions and overall experience may vary - questions can be chosen or omitted at the discretion of the department manager who is interviewing you.

Interview Question – None that I can recall. My experience was a standard personality test as the job I applied for was administrative in nature.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Truro, NS (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dalhousie University in January 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a major hassle. I submitted an application and had nearly forgot that I applied for the job by the time I was offered an interview. The questions they asked seemed very irrelevant to the position and now that I'm working, I can say they were ENTIRELY irrelevant. It was quite a while after that they made me the job offer and MONTHS before I started work. From job application to first day on the job - 5 months.

Interview Question – All of the questions sounded as though they were selected by a committee of government bureauocrats in the early 90s. They were all un-expected although easy enough to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiaiton - salaries are fixed and rigid. The person offering you the job will have no flexibility to offer you a better salary.

Building Services Assistant Interview

Building Services Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dalhousie University in September 2010.

Interview Details – NA

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Research Associate Post Doctoral Interview

Research Associate Post Doctoral

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dalhousie University in December 2010.

Interview Details – Was interviewed via Skype for a lab based job in science.
Met the postdocs over Skype
Discussed the project and the lab management in some detail

Interview Questions

• Standard personality questions and how work ethics are   Answer Question
  • Standard questions to summarize what work has been done before and what papers where published from the work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was initially offered at 48000CAD and increased to 50000CAD. Current salary is about 60000 CAD so it was quite a cut in salary. Person tried to justify this by saying that Canadian salaries are generally lower. Have over 6 years work experience after PhD so the salary is very low plus with Federal and Provisional Tax is high so the take end salary is low. Dalhousie has an interest system where its postdocs do a lot of teaching as a requirement which is good to have on an academic cv plus the work was a good career move to get into Pharma.

No guidelines on working hrs, vacation, pension etc which is standard in Europe. Canada seems to have not regulation on this and was up to the employer so you have very little scope to negotiate. No conferance travel was possible. Everything you have to apply for your own grants but most of these are aimed at fresh postdocs with less than 2-3 years from completing their degree. Very little in the terms of being able to apply as a early career scientist or mid level/senior post doc

The job was offered but then transpired there was no funding, and also the correct HR process was not done on the employer's side. You need to do an LOM to be employed and for this the job has to be advertised nationally and locally. There is no getting around this and the process takes about 6 months with advertising. This was not done in my case so I had been offered a job told that data I specified for starting was a good start date and everything was ready to go when I found this out with a months notice.
.At the beginning there where alot of follow up e-mails with promises but be the end of Dec. there where no replies to my questions on where the contract was or reply to my questions if there where any problems because my employer would have allowed me to continue until the matter was settled. So now I am jobless and career wise quite difficult to justify.

Would not recommend taking a job in Canada based on this experiance plus its a lie that living costs are low and salaries can not stretch to a comfortable living experiance which when you need to put 100% effort in to your research you do not want to worry about paying the bills.

Very little help also from the Embassy on inquires about work visas and the processing time is very long. Canada seems not to be very effective as not much is processed on line compared to other countries. Dalhousie may look ok on paper with a good quality of life, some good researches and proximity to usa and the usa network but its not up to speed.

Administration Interview

Administration
Halifax, NS (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dalhousie University in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process covered the work in detail but did not express the need to be at the office 10 to 12 hours a day without extra pay.

Interview Question – What do you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Dalhousie University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dalhousie University interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dalhousie University employees and interview candidates.