Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.8

Research Fellow/Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Web job posting, two interviews, unofficial hire, and two months to get through the Harvard beaurocracy. The process wasn't complicated on my end but there were numerous delays with human resources

The offer was more than acceptable.

Principal Research Technician Interview

First talked to the PI over the phone. Then, I was called-in for an in-person interview. This lasted about 25-30 minutes. Towards the end of the interview, I was offered the position. I didn't bargain for a higher salary, because the offered salary was more than what I was currently making. Accepted the position, later that evening one of the lab members called and said that I shouldn't have.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that I can think of. Interview was fairly simple.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. Just accepted the position.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

I applied through the DCFI human resources website and was contacted for an in person interview with the manager and assistant manager of the clinical research group. After the first round interview, I was invited to return for a second round interview with one of the managers and several of the current CRCs.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare for questions about working as a team and how you deal with challenging people.   Answer Question

Bioinformatics Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Interview process was very hap hazard. The onsite was purely HR but they kept calling again and again with technical questions after the onsite interview.

The only good part was that they make you very comfortable during the interview.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookline, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookline, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in October 2013.

LONG process where I met with many many people, submitted writing samples and answered many questions. Had to meet with occupational health, get a flu shot and give them my very blood. Intense. I was recruited for this job as well so there was another layer of questions on top of their in house process. Took three months to get hired here.

Interview Questions
    • So many questions. I think the most difficult thing was having the endurance to get through the day.   Answer Question

Clinical Administrative Support Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

I was set up with an interview for this position through a staffing agency. The interview itself was very short and dry (the recruiter had told me to expect this, as they frequently conduct "rapid-fire" hiring). The interviewer asked me a few basic questions (why I wanted the position, information about my past employment, etc.), and did not offer much personality to help the interview flow. All in all, the entire thing lasted about 10-15 minutes, and I did not get a very good impression afterwards. I wish the interviewer had taken more time and interest in the interview itself, as I feel the short duration and lackluster questioning played a pretty big role in why it did not go very well.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about what this job entails?   View Answer

Animal Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in August 2013.

My interviewer first contacted me through email, where she explained the position in detail and set up a phone interview. During the phone interview, which was more difficult than the in person interview, she asked about my past experiences and other questions that seemed unrelated to my current job, such as what was the most admirable thing I've accomplished so far.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my salary based on my experience, but not as much as I would have liked.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in July 2013.

Applied online through the Dana website. Hiring manager contacted me two days later requesting more information. I checked in a week later, and was told they were beginning to schedule phone screens. The next three weeks there were many delays in e-mail communication, but finally an introduction meeting was made. Spent about an hour reviewing my resume and details of the position.
    The next week I was asked to send in samples of my work, and the week after that we scheduled an interview. So, six weeks after initial contact I spent the day on site interviewing. I had 7 one hour sessions with 8 different people, it was an extremely long day. Overall I felt that the day went extremely well, and I was very much interested in the position.
    This was when the already lengthy process got much longer. I was told it would be two weeks until they made a decision, so when two weeks went by and I had not heard from them I checked in. I was told they needed more time. Keeping the door open, I checked in with them every two weeks, typically not receiving a response to my e-mails. The responses I did receive told me to continue checking in. This was until finally, 10 weeks after interviewing on site, and a total of four months after initially applying to the job.
    Dana-Farber sounded like a terrific place to work while I was there, but when I was not the lack of communication did not make it a disappointment to receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • If you could create your own hospital, what would it look like?   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Good process, clear and fast

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in May 2013.

I went through the following steps:
    1. VERY brief phone interview (more of a conversation really),
    2. interview with department manager and meeting with a few potential co-workers,
    3. Interview with the research nurse,
    4. Interview with 2 doctors - the head of clinical research in my disease center and the head of the disease center as a whole,
    5. Got a happy call from HR.

Interview Questions
    This is an entry level position mainly populated by recent college grads and prospective med/nursing students....not really people in positions to negotiate. Also since its a non-profit I'd guess they have locked in salaries they don't really deviate from.