Darden Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015

2.3

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Darden (Portage, MI).

Interview

I had one interview, and had to take a written test, fill in the blank- which took an hour and a half. I was asked about my previous work history, my strengths and weaknesses, why I applied there, why I think I should be hired, and what my goals were. It went great, and it was actually fun.

Interview Questions

• Name your biggest strength and biggest weakness.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Darden in January 2015.

Interview

The process was great, the Area Director was insightful and professional. First interview was with the recruiter on skype, I really felt at ease and they did not hammer me with the same questions you always get so I found that refreshing. Next interview was with the Area Director in person like I said he was great. Had another interview with the Partner of a location and he just told me what to expect in the position.

Interview Questions

• I found it amazing the director wanted to talk about kids and life and seemed to really care.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation got more than I asked for plus relocation.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Darden (Orlando, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

They take their recruitment process pretty seriously, investing the amount of time necessary to learn about each candidate they contact. It takes a little while, but they're courteous along the way and always keep you updated. The recruiter contacted me via email and we had a phone screening a few days later. She had me take a skills assessment and then after a few days she invited me to interview in person at a later date. In-person interviews were 2 hours, very organized, and they are extremely welcoming.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Darden (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interviewing process at yardhouse is very quick, spoke with 4 managers in one interview. The training process is what is extensive. 8 days of training, paid, but it is hardcore! Definitely worth putting the time and effort into learning everything though!

Interview Questions

• What did you like about your your previous restaurant job? Why do you like the service industry? Talk about a time that frustrated you and how you worked it out.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Darden.

Interview

I applied to a position in passing while surfing the internet, only to forget that I had done so until I was contacted for an interview. I interviewed for a low level position that has no barring on why the company is performing poorly, but you'd have a hard time knowing that given the unnecessary high standard they have for their candidates. If only upper management was scrutinized to the same degree that fresh candidates are scrutinized for low level analyst work. Sorry we all don't have 10 years experience contributing to a declining brand! Interview was average compared to others, just really bizarre standards for a company that is bleeding money. They sold off Red Lobster and they're desperately trying to restructure Olive Garden, but unfortunately for them, they reacted far too slowly to the obvious changing tastes in their industry. Their gaffe with Obamacare was a huge blow to their reputation as well. Even if you get through their process, avoid this place. Open the business section, they had their time in the sun and they don't want fresh talent to help them.

Bartender/Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Darden (Memphis, TN).

Interview

Two interviews were required. My first interview was centered on experience. Questions included how to handle difficult guests, examples of up-selling, and drink knowledge for a position behind the bar. Finally, a personality test. Took about 30 minutes, asked the same questions in different ways to see if you're being honest.

Interview Questions

• "Sell me a Coke." I can think of great descriptions for lots of dishes, but a beverage? Without alcohol? That was the hardest question.   Answer Question

Hostess At Seasons 52 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Darden in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was e-mailed to call for an interview. I interviewed a few days later and was offered the job on the spot. I had to speak to all 3 (!!) managers, and answer similar questions with all three. Questions included, why do you want this job, do you have restaurant experience, what would your previous supervisor say about you, what was your favorite and least favorite part of your last job, what is your biggest strength and weakness, etc. I do not have any restaurant experience but I do have a college degree, and have worked retail. I would suggest emphasizing your joy of working with and interacting with people, especially customers if you have customer service experience. Always remain very pleasant and speak clearly, as this is a front-of-house position.

Interview Questions

• If a customer was irate because a reservation made for 8:00 was still not ready by 8:30, what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They just said "We start our hostesses at $9.50/hour." There was not any time to negotiate.

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Darden (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, 3 days later got an email that they were interested, interview within a week. Interviewed with Manager, then asked if there was anyone else I could speak to (key to getting job!). Interviewed immediately with Managing Partner. Within 4 hours, got a call that I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you provided exceptional customer service.   1 Answer

Sustainability Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Darden (Orlando, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

I first interviewed with HR over the phone. This was followed by a personality test. Then, a video interview with the director and VP. I finally got a face to in Orlando and met several VP's and directors during a days worth of interviews - long day.

Interview Questions

• What makes you different than other people?   Answer Question
    • Explain your experice with x programs or knowledge of sustainability.   Answer Question

Server/Waitress Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Darden (San Antonio, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

It took me 3 hours before I even had my SCHEDULED interview and there was only myself and one other person, when it was my turn, she hadn't even seen my application, nor printed it off. Then, I had to wait for another 10 mins to even get started on my interview.

Because I am worth more than what that company was showing.