Darden

2.3

Servere Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Panama City, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Panama City, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Darden in January 2013.

The general manager contacted me by phone, I showed up on the scheduled date, and answered all of her questions to the best of my ability. She assured me that I would be contacted by phone if I was chosen to be team member.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think are important characteristics of your job title.   Answer Question
    the hourly rate at least for servers in non-negotiable

Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Darden.

Applied online through Olive Garden/ Darden career website. Very quick process; able to upload resume. Contacted by an automated email from Darden about a week later stating to call location and set up an interview. Two separate interviews: One with scheduling/hiring manager(?) Went over submitted application, experience, availability. I was told they'd like to have me come in for a closing interview the following day. Second interview with GM more in depth, yet nothing out of the ordinary. Very thorough and understanding.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked with someone where you felt that they did not do their part for the team? How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    I was asked what I was looking to get paid. (Aim high, worst thing that could happen is being told no.)

Yardhouse Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Darden in January 2013.

Walked in to apply and immediately was asked to interview the same day. It took two more rounds of interviews but overall was a simple process. The managers make you feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were fairly simple. Make sure you know a little about the menu before interviewing. They will ask questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Salary, plus tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Darden in December 2012.

After applying for a the position and taking the personality inventory online, I received a call from the Managing Partner to schedule an interview. I went in and had to wait 15 minutes to bee seen because it was busy that day. Not unexpected in the restaurant business. I sat down with the Managing Partner for a short interview of basic questions about previous experience and how much knowledge I have about the business. Then I waited a little longer to be interviewed by the Service Manager. This interview was longer and more detailed questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a guest who was unhappy with their experience?   View Answer
    No negotiation took place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Darden in December 2012.

Applied for new restaurant opening was called for an interview a week later.Meet a current employee on the way to the interview,he said just be nice and if you have previos job experience you have a good chance.My interview time didnt make sense 12:00 noon.The place was busy and customer to employee ratio was probably 50-50 everyboby was nice and said "Hello".My interview manager didnt even work at this location she was just helping out Cari was her name.She pretty much asked the common interview questions,she didnt seem impressed with my knowledge of company or thier menu.Asked me if I could wait around for an hiring manager to talk to,this while the restaurant was filling up,we were at a BIG booth.Iwaited, second interview never happened,was told they would call me.I did a follow up call a week later hostess never put me thru or manager didnt want to talk me.No call back,no job.

Interview Questions
    • Why were you terminated from your last job.   View Answer

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Darden in November 2012.

Filled out interview online, and got an email next day. Went in for interview with 2nd tier manager. It went well, and I could tell she thought so. I was called back for a second interview with the general manager, who was curt and downright rude. Maybe it was her idea of a test to see if I can deal with cranky hungry people, but hungry people don't go in for direct attacks. All her job rated questions had to do with how much I know about alchohol.

Interview Questions
    • She flipped through my resume, and sneered at my most recent job, at a wilderness camp, saying it wasn't much of a job at all. You know how jobs are - the title doesn't give the story. This was a job with enormous responsibility - for giving people a good time, for keeping the area maintained, for performing a nightly monologue, and for literally keeping the guests alive. One of my duties was manning a first aid station that frequently handles life threatening emergencies. And she called it a fluff job. What do you say after that?

She said they'd be in touch within 2 days I phoned on the third and was told, very abruptly that I didn't get the job.

My mom has owned a business and said the comments and questions were unprofesiional and hostile. And she said that the correct thing to do when you tell someone you aren't hiring them, is to give them some constructive reason - something they can work on improving ( for example, get some wine experience and try again in a year) rather than speak to them as if they were garbage. She always tried to think of other places that might be a better fit, too. I think Olive Garden would be a good fit for me, but I'm very glad not to be working under such an unhappy, insecure woman.

View Answer

Kitchen Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Darden in November 2012.

Three phone interviews. Nothing face to face. Very open interviews. Industry standard conversations. Leadership was the biggest topic of conversation.

Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Darden in November 2012.

Generally the professional positions(service & culinary) are hired from within. They are already certified trainers that show strong leadership and a passion for "hospitaliano":

Interview Questions
    Only training schedule was negotiable. The position requires open availability.

Busser Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Darden in October 2012.

I applied online and a few days later they sent me an email telling me to call the manager within the next two days. I called them a day later and set up an interview. When I arrived at the interview, the manager admitted he didn't even have time to review my application so he did it in front of me. He seemed nice and confident until he asked me what I'm doing for work now. I said Nothing this would be my first job. He said because of my experience and their budget they wouldn't be able to train me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Darden in October 2012.

Apply online, get an email if they are interested with a time to call the restaurant.
    Basic questions about experience.

Interview Questions
    • My personal restaurant threw in questions like, "if you had a million dollars and didn't have to work would you"   Answer Question