Darden

Average Difficulty
159 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lees Summit, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Darden in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was called in to have an interview with the hiring manager whom asked about my previous jobs and how much I needed to survive off of each month, then I was scheduled for a second interview with the General Manager whom went over some questions and hired me.

Interview Question – Can you tell me how much money you would need each month. (gave me a piece of paper and gave me time to figure out an exact amount).   Answer Question

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Associate Brand Manager
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Darden in March 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward – two phone interviews, a personality/aptitude test and then a on-site interview. The in person interview was about 6 hours starting at 10am and ending at 4pm. I had one-on-one sessions with 5 different interviewers that currently held similar roles at Daren.

Most of the questions revolved around my background and questions about their restaurants current positioning.

Interview Question – Which of our restaurants in targeting the wrong audience and how would you fix that?   Answer Question

Burlington, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Darden in August 2013.

Interview Details – Absolute worst interview experience I have ever had, and that is after just finishing a 2 hour corporate interview with 3 separate departments in another company, which was amazing, friendly, and professional. The preliminary application for Darden was online, and they send you an e-mail confirmation (check your junk box) asking you to call and set up an interview. That one-on-one interview was with an Assistant Managing Partner named Donald. He was brief and cold; it was like he didn't like me off the bat. He wasn't interested in my background or my experience, or even to take a moment to get to know me, all he wanted to do was follow a list of behavioral/psychological assessment questions, which he skipped through haphazardly and then thanked me for taking the time out of my busy day to meet with him.

Interview Question – Looked at me point-blank and asked me what my idea of professionalism was.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busser Interview

Busser

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Darden in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few days later they sent me an email telling me to call the manager within the next two days. I called them a day later and set up an interview. When I arrived at the interview, the manager admitted he didn't even have time to review my application so he did it in front of me. He seemed nice and confident until he asked me what I'm doing for work now. I said Nothing this would be my first job. He said because of my experience and their budget they wouldn't be able to train me.

Very Easy Interview

Line Cook Interview

Line Cook
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Darden in July 2013.

Interview Details – Tell me about yourself, expected pay, previous experience?

Negotiation Details – Easy

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Darden.

Interview Details – The application is online. If they like your application, they'll e-mail you and tell you to call them to set up an interview. There is usually a primary interview with one of the managers and if they like you, you'll then be interviewed by the Managing Partner. They will call your previous employers to verify your employment there. It was very relaxed and easy to answer honestly.

Interview Question – How do you feel about the policy, "The customer is always right?"   Answer Question

Server Assistant/Host Interview

Server Assistant/Host
Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Darden in July 2011.

Interview Details – Applications online, but definitely best to go in and make a good impression (do not call/come in during lunch or dinner rush, as that does not make managers very happy).

If contacted, first interview is short and mainly just to see if you are a well-functioning, normal member of society. If you pass, you get a second interview (if they really like you, you might just get hired after the first interview).

The second interview is longer with a sort of in-depth personality test (ex: "Is it ever ok to come into work late?").

Once hired, spend the first day watching videos and being tested over menu items (if a server), or other various things from the videos depending on the position.

Then comes a week of training with minimum wage pay, and after that, a regular schedule with a base pay of $4 an hour plus tips. My paychecks consistently even out to about $10 an hour.

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work here/what can you contribute to this team?" is always a hard one, I think, and it's one that you definitely have to think about and come up with a good, impressive answer for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, and they were very flexible. As I was going off to school, they allowed me to start my training and work for the last month of my summer, then they allowed me to work every other weekend so that I could juggle school. They were very willing to negotiate with me.

Hostess Interview

Hostess

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Darden.

Interview Details – Super easy.I had already been renewing my application because the first time they called, I couldn't make it to the interview so I applied again one night and I got a call the next day. Went in to wait for the interview, there were others there. The first was with the assistant manager; super chill. Pretty much just general questions, what kind of experience do you have, why Olive Garden, questions about how you would respond to certain situations. Then got a "peer interview" with one of the servers that's been there for a while. The Assistant manager told me to come back in two days for an interview with the GM. Same situation and questions pretty much.Talked to a current hostess. GM came back and said she wanted to hire me :)

Interview Question – What questions do you have for me?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Both interviews asked how much pay i'm looking for. I shot for like minimum wage in my state because I was desperate for a job but the AM said 8.25. But then the GM said only 8.00 because I didn't have previous experience.

Olive Garden Host Interview

Olive Garden Host

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Darden in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was sent an e-mail several weeks after applying online to set up an interview within two days if I was interested in the position. I called and was put on hold for about 20 minutes, briefly interviewed, and proceeded to set up the interview for that Thursday. Upon arrival, I was directed by the hostess to sit in the cafe area and wait for my interviewer. Turns out the person who was supposed to interview me was not able to make it to the interview, so I was interviewed by the sales manager. She requested that I return later that afternoon for another interview with the front of house manager, however, I was unavailable at that time so scheduled for an interview the next day. This interview went seemingly well, and I was asked to be interviewed a third time by the general manager of the restaurant. Once again, this interview seemed to go very well. He told me he thought I would be well suited for the host position and told me that he thought I would be a good fit for the team. We discussed pay, dress code, and schedules, and he informed me that I should be called within the next two weeks about attending orientation as they were in the process of setting them up. Two weeks came and went, but I received no call. I decided to call the restaurant to see if an orientation had been scheduled and told them that I was still interested in the position. I was put on hold only to be informed that the training manager was in a meeting (go figure) and that she said, "If we need you, we'll call you". I held out for a couple more weeks, but after no word from them it was clear that I was not hired. Two months later, I received an e-mail informing me that I had not been chosen for the position.

Interview Question – What is your favorite book?   Answer Question

Servere Interview

Servere
Panama City, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Darden in January 2013.

Interview Details – The general manager contacted me by phone, I showed up on the scheduled date, and answered all of her questions to the best of my ability. She assured me that I would be contacted by phone if I was chosen to be team member.

Interview Question – What do you think are important characteristics of your job title.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the hourly rate at least for servers in non-negotiable

Interviews for Top Jobs at Darden