Darden

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tampa, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Darden in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very drawn out for me. I was hired back in December but no communication was made about when I would start until February. The talent manager seemed very unorganized as he was trying to start managers at various locations around florida.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were pretty standard, no out of left field questions.   Answer Question

Restaurant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Darden.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very professional. Long in depth process but was well worth the time. There were many phone calls and emails over the weeks. In addition, the recruiter was very knowledgeable about her job and helped make it all smooth. All in all, I highly recommend this company.

Interview Question – Why would you want to leave your current job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a bit long but when the offer was made I was happy to know that the company tried very hard to meet my needs to make me feel comfortable about switching positions.

Fargo, ND

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Darden in June 2010.

Interview Details – Dress professionally to the interview. Darden cares about how well kept you look. Make sure you know the company prior to the interview and prepare questions to ask at the end of the interview. The current process is to apply on line and fill out the assessment. in a week or so the Talent Recruiter calls to conduct a phone interview. Remember to be upbeat throughout the interview. My suggestion is to connect with the recruiter in the first couple of minutes before getting down to business.

Interview Question – Most questions were basic and looked for how to apply my current experience as a future leader for Darden.   Answer Question

Restaurant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Darden.

Interview Details – My interview was a four step process. Quick phone interview with area recruiter, in person interview with area recruiter, drug screening and final interview with Regional Director. The first interview was very general with scenario based questions. The final interview was over 3 hours in length as the Regional Director really tried to delve into my motivation, my personal goals, my current skills sets. I left that interview with such an excellent perception of the company that I would have spoken highly of their practices even if I had not been hired.

Interview Question – What can I do to help you get where you want to go with Darden?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for increased salary from my previous positon and they met me in the middle. I started the week after my interview.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Darden in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and completed personality testing online. Was contacted a few days later via email to schedule a webcam interview. Interview with recruiter was about 45 minutes long. 5 Minutes into interview I was asked salary expectations and immediately told that I wouldn't make that with them so rest of interview was very pushed and almost like going through the motions by the interviewer.

Interview Question – Give an example of how you once anticipated a guest's needs.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Darden in April 2008.

Interview Details – I had applied because a former colleague recommended the company to me. Over the course of the four and a half month interview process, I believe that I had nine interviews with three different people. A few weeks would pass and I'd get called to another interview. Toward the end, I had gotten upset and had asked the person on the phone to please explain their interview process to me. The conversation went from an invitation to my tenth interview to a request for a drug test. Fortunately, I was employed elsewhere during this process.

Interview Question – Honestly, there weren't any difficult questions. Some situation based behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Tucson, AZ

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Darden in January 2008.

Interview Details – The interview started online by submitting your resume. You will receive an e-mail confirmation right away saying they received it. After a day or two, if they are interested, you will be contacted by the Division HR. They will send you another e-mail with all the paper work to set up the first initial interview. In my case, they were having a mass hiring the week I submitted so I my 1:1 was crowded. You either interview with the Division HR rep. or with the Director of the region you will be working with. That interview took appox. 1 hour. Questions ranged from work history to education experiences. After that, like most companies, thanked me for coming out and that they would contact me with an answer soon. About 3 days later I was contacted by the Division HR director. That was a final interview but lead up to a personality test that had to be taken online and it was timed. Once I passed that, I was offered a job. The job is great if you are not looking to move up in a company at a normal pace. I started off as a Manager and was told that my further education would be supported. I later found out that was a lie. As a manager of a restaurant you are asked to work 50 plus hour days. It is impossible to go to Grad school and do that job. The company also does not reimburse online classes, so in reality, they do not support further education because its impossible to take traditional classroom courses. The company was fun to work for and the learning experience was amazing. If you dont like thinking outside the box and managing without thinking much, I'd recommend this job. If you want a challenge and a great opportunity to move up from experience and education, I'd recommend to pass.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when a guest made you upset and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay is negotiable to an extent. They already know how much they will pay you, its a matter of them convincing you to that number.

Very Easy Interview

Restaurant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Darden in December 2010.

Interview Details – Interview with director in person. Interview with HR over the phone. Both are fairly informal and they are looking for your ability to handle future job responsibilities, not your past experience. About half of new managers come from hourly employees, the other half are outside hires. I came internal and i think you have a better chance with a recommendation from a superior.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Not in this market. If you dare to negotiate, and i guess it can't hurt to ask, try it. I understand the max is somewhere just under 50K. They will offer you somewhere in the neighborhood of 42.

Restaurant Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Darden in March 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. The application consisted of the CV, resume, a personality/skills test. A brief phone interview with an HR assistant. A Skype interview with an HR assistant. An one-one-one interview with a Regional Director. A preliminary job offer in a couple of weeks. A drug test, a background check.

Interview Question – Is there anything that you hate to do at your current work place? What is it?   Answer Question

Restaurant Manager

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Darden in April 2011.

Interview Details – After initial resume submission there were several contacts. Some of the people with whom I spoke to were Area Director, Director of talent acquisition, general manager, managers.

Interview Question – There were really no difficult questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you have the experience and are in particular markets, you are able to negotiate salary.

Worked for Darden? Contribute to the Community!