Dartmouth

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Hanover, NH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dartmouth in January 2009.

Interview Details – I had an unconventional interview process in that I had not originally applied for graduate school at Dartmouth, but happened to find myself talking to some of the professors. The encouraged me to apply, I was accepted, and that was that. Dartmouth is excellent in that it is a small enough school that individual professors and students can have a big impact on the department, and the upper management has a lot of faith in the professors. Typically, however, the application process consists of making contact with a professor and asking if the are accepting graduate students. This is a critical first step to applying to graduate school. Next, you fill out the online paperwork and send transcripts, etc. If they like you, they will offer you an interview. For the interview, you are flown to Hanover, where there is a recruitment weekend. The recruitment consists of giving a presentation in front of the department, seeing presentations by other applicants and professors (asking questions during these talks is an easy way to make yourself stand out). You will also meet with individual professors at some point. Basically it is a weekend to feel scrutinized, in competition with your peers, and stressed out in general. After that you go home, wait a few weeks and hope to hear from them.

Interview Question – how would you define yourself as a scientist?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no, there is no negotiating. come on, this is grad school.

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

Interviewed at Dartmouth

Interview Details – I had a single interview with a friend of Dartmouth... he found me much to unfocused at the time (I was 22) :)

Interview Question – What do you want to do with your life?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dartmouth

Worked for Dartmouth? Contribute to the Community!