Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

Nurse Residency Program Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in January 2015.

Interview

My initial contact was with a recruiter through the website. We set up a time to interview the next day. That went well, but then days later it turned out that candidates for this program weren't being handled any longer through this set of recruiters and I was back to square 1 with the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation when you had to advocate for a patient in a way that went against another nurse or their action.   Answer Question

Housekeeper Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, NH).

Interview

It took several months to get a call for an interview. The interview process was in two stages. Once, with HR, just a simple overview and tentative offer. The second was with the head of the department. I had to pass a background check.

Interview Questions

• I was asked, "What do you prefer in a supervisor?".   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, they followed a strict guideline that involved former payscale and experience.

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, NH).

Interview

The interviewers were pleasant and easy to speak with; it was more conversation which is the kind of interview I prefer. At the end I asked about next steps and was anticipating a second interview to be scheduled the following week, but they ended up hiring internally without doing the second round. Despite this, I rather enjoyed the experience.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions were posed. I was asked to describe a project that did not come out quite as I had hoped and what I would have done differently.   Answer Question

Physician Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Nashua, NH) in May 2014.

Interview

I fist submitted my resume online. A manager called me and asked me general questions. I was invited for an interview. On that day, I toured the office and met several of the staff members. The staff, PAs and one doctor interviewed me. The manager emailed me several times and then I was invited for a second interview. After that, I was invited to shadow the employee who was leaving.

Interview Questions

• What do you imagine you will be doing in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • How many patients are you seeing at your current job?   1 Answer
    • Did you do a rotation in this field and did you like it?   1 Answer
    • Are you physically able to do this job?   1 Answer
    • Why did you become a PA?   1 Answer

Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, NH).

Interview

The interview was very low key. They asked me "Why DHMC?" "Why the Research Coordinator position?" and then asked me a lot about my interests and goals. Much of the time involved me asking them questions, which was very important.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was "how long do you see yourself working here?" I thought this job was typically about a 2 year position. They want someone for longer, and made that clear to me in the interview.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

Interview

Standard interview process and questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, NH) in September 2013.

Interview

Called for an interview, which lasted an hour. Two weeks later requested an in person interview, which lasted all day. This was broken up into one hour blocks. Met with both managers and employees in two groups, nurse managers and lastly Human resources (HR). Each block I had questions that varied from benign to difficult opinion based. The all day part was very well organized and followed an itinerary.

Interview Questions

• How well is your knowledge of process management.   1 Answer

I could tell from the beginning the managers where having a power struggle or did not have a clear direction for the department. The immediate manager probably would not have been the most satisfactory to be employed by. Might have used or using a Human resources model of management (not to be confused with HR dept.) that would harbor a sense of future resentment among the employees.
    Considering the location and scope of the facility the initial offer should have been higher.

Interview

This all took place 17 years ago. Initial contact was informal and then was invited for an initial exploratory visit. That led to a second visit, more interviews/meetings, then job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate very aggressively. I asked for more than what was offered and got a little increase but it was quite a bit less than I had expected compared to what I heard from other surgeons working in New England.

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in June 2013.

Interview

Very professional and methodical. Had phone interview and virtual interview ..later was invited for face to face interview. I have not yet got a decision yet from the hiring department

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of ordinary. Lot of critical thinking questions. Panel wants to make sure, the candidate is truly fit for the job.   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, NH).

Interview

HR is going through transition right now so it is not the same as 7yrs ago. Submit an nonlinear application with resume and cover letter. Then I got a phone interview with a nurse recruiter. He then told me which units were hiring and I told him my interests. He set up interviews with the managers and had the interviews. Now it took them awhile to contact me before the phone interview so communication is not the greatest.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work on the hardest floor in the hospital?   Answer Question