Dartmouth Interview Questions

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

3.2

Position Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview

It was a very lengthy interview process... multiple interviews/chats, a panel phone screen, long visit with a nice tour. Everyone was friendly though! I wouldn't recommend going out of your way unless you LOVE Dartmouth... as these people clearly do, which is a great thing. Location isn't especially great if you are not accustomed to NH life.

Senior Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview

One of the most streamlined interview processes I've had. Worked with one contact in the hiring department. Had a phone screening for the position with her. One week later had a phone interview with the hiring manager. About two weeks after that I was contacted to make arrangements to travel to campus for an on-campus interview. I appreciated that they gave me two weeks notice to inform my current employer. They made my travel arrangements and were very helpful. I had four different sessions and I thought the first three went well, but I could tell the division VP didn't like me in the last session (he was very, very obvious about that). A week after my return, I received a detailed letter explaining why they hadn't chosen me, which I expected after the last session. I appreciated the detail in the response, so many people just blow you off when you are not selected. My reimbursal for travel expenses was also very quick. Overall, a pretty pleasant interview experience even if the only thing that came out of it was a chance to spend some time in that part of the country - it's so beautiful there.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH).

Interview

Phone screen followed by an afternoon of interviews including 2 group interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH).

Interview

I directly apply it online and mail the application to them. I don't have interview for this school

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview

I had been asked about details about my research experience such as how I did a specific experiment

Negotiation

no negotiation phase

Computer Store Salesman Interview

Application

interviewed at Dartmouth in May 2013.

Interview

Hiring process was fairly simple, heard about company through a colleague who had worked there. I was able to work there several summers during college, and really enjoyed the experience. I was lucky enough to quite well in this position, and the commission generated from it was fair enough to make it worth my while.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest decision you have had to make in your life?   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview

Short Interview with the concerned professor.
    Asked about knowledge and experience with the subject matter.

Interview Questions

• Did not remember a few specific things about certain parts of the subject so could not really answer them   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview

Very complicated, intensive process overall. First a phone interview with HR Manager, then in-person interview with HR Manager, which included correcting a writing sample for them to "grade" later. I then had to have another interview with HR where I had thirty minutes to write a letter describing what I felt the position to entail, after a conversation with the HR Manager when I could ask questions, etc. Finally, there was marathon afternoon of interviews, after which I barely knew my name. I met with 7 different people over three hours. Some where group interviews and some where one-on-one. Some where intense firing squad questions, some were more laidback, casual conversations. I was pleased the organization takes so much time and effort to hire the right people, but it was not the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• What would be most difficult about this position for you?   Answer Question

LMS Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in January 2012.

Interview

I originally applied online on October 5th. I received an email to schedule a phone interview in mid November. The phone interview was with a committee of 8 people. Four weeks after the phone interview I was emailed to schedule an in person interview/campus visit which took place in early January. The in person interviews began at 8:30am and went through dinner. They consisted of several panel interviews, a 1 on 1 with the hiring manager, and a 30 minute presentation followed by a 30 minute Q&A. Lunch and dinner were also with the search committee and the prospective department members. The week after my interviews they began a very comprehensive reference check, and required to speak with current and previous supervisor. I declined the current and was informed that my offer would be contingent on that conversation. The final step was a conversation with HR where they asked my current and desired salary, and confirmed details for my background check. I got an offer 16 days after my campus visit.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up on current trends in your field (in the industry)?   Answer Question

a combination of factors but mainly that I received a promotion in my current job and was offered the ability to work remotely, flexibility that would not have been possible at Dartmouth.

Associate Director, Systems & Operations Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in October 2011.

Interview

I am a tough customer; I have read extensively and attempted to practice proper recruiting - I have to say that the recruiting process at Dartmouth is precisely how it is supposed to be to attract good talent - you deal directly with the hiring manager right from the start, and this remains your main point of contact throughout the process (no HR phone screens and other silly non-job related time sinks in this process). The in-person was a full day of panel interviews with all interested parties, from the CIO right on down to the department individual contribs. Again, the entire process was shepherded by the hiring manager. After meeting almost everyone, I was invited to meet one exec that was not there the day I was scheduled at a later date. The exec even met me half way for a breakfast meeting - a very fair and proper gesture. The meeting went well and an offer was conveyed to me shortly afterwards.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with SLA enforcement?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was fine on salary/bennies, but the sticking point was start date, as this was a relo for me. In the end, the process was very easy, and the college and I found a suitable solution. A good way to start one's employment - no ultimatums, no "take it or leave it" offers, just out and out proper recruiting.