DataStax

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at DataStax.

I initially met some DataStax employees at a local meetup. It was a lot of fun; they were very friendly and open.

After I started the application process, I talked to an HR person over the phone for 30-45 mins. She discussed the role and verified my technical skills.

Next, I talked to a team lead over Skype for about an hour. We talked about some technical topics and some team dynamics topics.

Finally, they assigned me a live ticket from the Cassandra task tracker, and asked me to submit a code patch. This was challenging, as it involved get the codebase up and running, and digging through a lot of undocumented legacy code in order to tackle the issue. I estimate it took 25 hours overall. They put me in touch with a senior engineer and their dev IRC channel for help, but the engineer was very terse, the chat channel was pretty dead, and I found it hard to ask for help without seeming like I was struggling. Overall I felt it was an unforgiving way to test an engineer.

In the end I did not complete the ticket, as the time required to completely solve the issue was interfering with my interview schedule with other companies.

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall specifics, but the HR manager and the lead asked about my technical qualifications and team experiences.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DataStax.

Recruiter was quick to reach out upon submission of resume. Phone screen the following day. Later in the week was asked to come in and meet the admin team. Followed up with the recruiter the following day and was told feedback was positive and just waiting to hear back as to when next rounds would take place. I'll follow up with you by Monday ... well two weeks have passed. Found out via a colleague they made a hire.

It's completely unprofessional to not let a candidate know your no longer being considered. Emails were not responded to nor voicmail.

Interview Questions
    • how do you deal with conflicting priorities?   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when things fell apart?   Answer Question
    • give me some examples of your event planning or project management experience   Answer Question

Technical Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at DataStax.

Emails for several weeks before a call was scheduled. The internal recruiter wrote and said "good news! the hiring manager wants to talk to you" and we moved forward from there. One phone screen, one team interview, and several phone calls with other managers and directors. Persuasive talk from the upper management. Group interview with 4 team members, all on Google Hangout. Several weeks before the offer call.

Interview Questions
    • How would you learn about the technology if you did not have any starting point?   Answer Question
    I never gave a starting salary number, I just asked the recruiter to "make the offer good, very good" because I was happy at my current job. The offer was solid and a substantial increase for me.

Sales Interview

Multiple interviews with management and sales team members (7+ calls) - some who missed the call and didn't even bother to reschedule. Sales management did not have the courtesy to respond with a thank you despite my traveling out of state to meet with them (although they paid the tab). When I asked sales management about viable and newly funded serious competition to their technology it was a "deer in the headlights" moment. I so wanted to see another RedHat success in the open source community, but I am uncertain here. Sales management seems fixated on pumping subscriptions while underestimating the need for establishing a robust services capability (Cassandra, in particular, is a complex implementation requiring advanced services). Sales management vision for where the company is headed was not clearly articulated.

On the upside, I am sure there are some exciting opportunities at this company and if you enjoy working for a startup - or want to have that experience - this could be an interesting place to be for a while. See if you can land some future stock grants before they IPO - that's where you may make some money here.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, but be prepared to strike the word "services" from your vocabulary if you are gunning for a sales position.   Answer Question

Public Relations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at DataStax.

Interview with hi-level communications executive was setup through a recruiter. I was excited to be interviewing after reading all the positive reviews about this company. Unfortunately, the woman I was interviewing with could not sound more disinterested in what I had to say.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer had very little enthusiasm. I'm not saying you have to be jumping through the roof to talk to me, but at least sound like you care. Throughout the interview, she sounded more annoyed than anything else.

When the time came for me to ask questions, I asked "What's the company culture like?" A pretty straightforward question I've asked employers before and have never had an issue with. Her reply? "What do you mean by 'culture'?" in a quite indignant tone. Very odd interview experience overall. She did not sound very happy in her role.

I was not interested in going much further after that. I asked just one more question and ended the interview.

Answer Question

Graphic Designer, Creative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at DataStax in June 2014.

Recruiter started out with an email questionnaire which I thought was an interesting way to go about screening candidates. Basic stuff was asked: How did you hear about this opportunity? How do you feel you could contribute to this job immediately? What is your current salary? Why are you leaving your current job/looking at a new opportunity? What are the top three things you’re looking for in a new opportunity? Describe your experience for creating both print and digital assets for events and trade shows as well as web design for enterprise software company?

Made it passed that to go on to a phone screen with the recruiter. The recruiter was very prompt in asking me my availability for a call, I gave him some time windows and told him to let me know when to expect his call. Instead of confirming a call time with me, he calls during one of my open time windows and when I told him that I wasn't prepared for the call since I didn't know he was going to be calling he wanted to press on anyway. Luckily, the questions weren't that difficult - what do you know about the company? How much HTML experience do you have? Also wanted to confirm my 2 week termination notice if I choose to take the job offer.

After passing that I had a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. Very nice to speak to, gave me a run down of the position and the company and how he is based in Chicago while the team is based in Santa Clara. We talked about my skills, usual interview questions, nothing too difficult. Overall very nice conversation. At the end of the call I was told that there were a few more calls lined up and that I would hear about next steps in about a week.

Well a few hours passes and I get an email saying they want to bring me in for a 3 hour in-person interview with 6 people. Marketing/Product Marketing/Events managers, and the two web/graphic designers already on staff. The interview process went great, each person got 30 minutes and I was able to really get a good feeling for the team that I could potentially be working with. I had a lot of "look at this page and tell me what you would do differently" and a lot of people told me how fast paced the work style was there.

So I get out of the interview thinking I did great...

The next day I get an email from the hiring manager wanting to do a phone follow up on how the interview went. - so we set up a call. He tells me that he heard nothing but good things from his team and I told him that I thought the interview went very well and could really see myself working there. He tells he that there are a few more interviews to get thought but I should hear back in 6 days.

This whole time the company had been very responsive through Jobvite - setting up calls, interviews, everything. Until the dreaded waiting period where you are left wondering if you got the position or not. 5 days go by.... nothing.... day 6, I email the recruiter wondering what the status is on the selection process.......nothing.......wait 3 more days - send a second email to the recruiter........nothing. Two days later I find out through logging into Jobvite that the position is closed (I had been checking the status of the position through Jobvite since day 4). They didn't even mark me as "not selected" just "closed". I was very disappointed by this. I would have thought given their speedy responses through email throughout the entire process that I would at least get a 1 sentence "Thanks for taking the time but we have chosen someone else" response.

Interview Questions
    • Please look at this events web page and tell me how you would re-organize it so it is easier for people to understand   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at DataStax in May 2014.

Interviewed with 8 people (2 VPs). I received great feedback!. After hours of interviewing and being told "I am recommending you". Silence. I had to contact them. I was told "We decided to hire a Director instead of a Mgr". I am a SR Director and former VP. Confusing!

Interview Questions
    • Mostly cultural fit. But again don't be confused because it appears to be going well. Unfortunately they appear to be very disorganized. Also they change their mind but don't take the time to communicate with the candidate.   View Answer

General Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at DataStax.

Loved that I could apply with my LinkedIn profile! Other companies get on board!

Interview Questions
    • What advice would you give to the hiring manager on how best to manage you?   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at DataStax in April 2014.

Phone call from a screener, easy to pass if you have ever done support. They want you to download their software and run it and answer questions on it. They have you answer support call email (write what you would respond to a very loyal cusomer who was having a seemingly pretty simple problem).

Interview Questions
    • Downloading the software and running it took *hours*. I mean, rediculous amounts of time. It gave me a very nervous feeling about the company.   View Answer

I didn't really want the job. It seemed like a lot of drudgery, even for support.

Marketing Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DataStax.

Phone interview was very much a download of the culture, the job description and a chance to express what I could bring to the table. Once I was approved I met with 5 additional team members including the VP of Marketing, Director of Demand, Field Marketing Members and Marketing Operations. I was blown away by the energy, the intelligence and strategic ambitions. It was very exciting to hear all of the work that was being done and the potential tasks I would be taking on.

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable with distributed culture?   View Answer