Dave & Buster's Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014
Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.4

Catering Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dave & Buster's in September 2014.

I applied online, both also sought out directly contacting their recruiters with my resume. One (who wasn't handling this market) was very friendly and helpful. The other, who was was cold and painfully disinterested.

She contacted me about a week later for a phone screen, which lasted less than 15 minutes and her bored disinterest was apparent even over the phone--and even though I have extensive experience in the field and expressed my excitement over their arrival in our market.

Apparently experience, enthusiasm, creative ideas and flexibility weren't what she felt "worked" because I never heard anything further. Guess where in the position I did get I won't be referring clients? Because her lack of professionalism gave a bad impression of a new to the market business

Interview Questions
    • Very standard questions. And given how thoroughly detached she seemed, she probably didn't bother to note my answers, anyway   Answer Question

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dave & Buster's in August 2014.

I applied for a store that was a New Open. The process took about two weeks from the initial application submission. I went to their website, filled out the online application for the server position. I filled out all personal information, and then immediately after I took a questionaire. Two days after the application and question I recieved an email saying I would be able to interview in what would be somewhat of a speed dating setting. I picked a date that fit me best. The day of the interview I went in to a room that was set up with chair and many managers and a closed off section. I was sat down and the first of three interviewers asked typical questions on work ethic and schedule, second interview sat down and asked about my serving abilities and where i've previously work, and third interviewer was more of the fun person, asking what would be the most exciting thing in life I would ever do and how to try to amp up a table and have fun. Each time an interview was over there was a bell that was rang to tell the managers to transition to the next interviewer. When all three interviews were done I sat down with the general manager who told me about the job, the expectations, and told me I was hired right there. I filled out paper work, and payment schedule, and was told when orientation was.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most excited thing ever if you could that you would do. DON'T CHOOSE SKYDIVING, very none unique answer.   Answer Question
    None just gave the typical low server hourly rate. My focus wasn't the hourly rate though.

Deposits Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dave & Buster's in August 2014.

I applied online, put in my information and was sent an email with a list of days that would work for an interview. This was a panel interview with 5 different dept. managers- everything from service to regional. I had worked in the field for a while, so I was comfortable with it but many others around me who were next in line showed clear anxiety.

Interview Questions
    • We value a fun environment, sing me your favorite song.   Answer Question

Captain Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dave & Buster's.

Initially, I filled out an application online. It was relatively straight forward, with your typical questions. Each position that DB has is accompanied with a Self-Test, which you must complete at the end of each job submission (one test per position)

I received a call about 4-5 days after completing the online assessment. They asked for me to come in to give a formal interview.

I scheduled and attended the interview 2 days later. This interview was far from formal. In fact, I was sitting at one of the dinning tables right next to the gaming area. It was very difficult to hear the interviewer (some manager at the store) ask the questions, so I kept asking her to repeat.

While answering questions, she was filling out a double sided "check list" based on my responses.

After the interview was completed (about 20 minutes) - she had me wait at the table, as she went to deliver this sheet to the store manager. The store manager came out after approximately 20 minutes to discuss my interview with me. He stated "I want to hire you." and briefly detailed the position for which I was applying.

He was slightly unsure of what I was capable of doing, in terms of the position I applied, and stated he would "talk to his people" and get back to me. I received a call 2 days later from the same interviewer immediately offering me the job with a set pay, no room for negotiation. I accepted initially, and she sent me an email with a form to fill out.

I ended up declining the offer because the days they required me for training were not flexible, and I had a medical procedure that could not be rescheduled. It's unfortunate, but that's what it is.

Interview Questions
    • Very standard questions. They review your employer history, ask why you left x,y,z, what your worst experience was, biggest strength/weakness, what would your supervisor say about you, how do you work under pressure, why do you think you are capable of this position, etc.   Answer Question

The would not negotiate salary, one of the managers didn't really seem to care too much about who she was hiring, was not flexible with the training date.

Special Event Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dave & Buster's in March 2014.

Albeit it detailed, and the expected multiple steps, it was intentional, enjoyable and thought provoking.

Interview Questions
    • As someone new to my market, what companies would I target to host an event at the venue.   Answer Question
    As expected. Professional.

Deposits Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westchester, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westchester, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dave & Buster's.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for multiple available positions for a new location Westchester, CA. I went to the D&B website, applied/submitted my resume, and was required to fill out a lengthy personality test. Within a day or two, I received an invitation to a D&B hiring fair at a hotel since the location was applying for was not open yet (I was able to request a time that worked for me). The "interviews" were conducted similarly to what I imagine awful speed dating would be like. I met with an administrator and two managers (who were responsible for areas of the restaurant other than what I was applying for) for a few minutes each. They all asked very similar questions about my previous work experience and the biggest challenges I've overcome before running out of time to speak with me because a gong had rung (not kidding! The gong was so ridiculous and unprofessional, even for a place that supposedly values a fun working environment). After meeting with the first three employees, I was taken to an area to meet with a more senior manager. She came off as friendly, but seemed concerned about my fit for the job I applied for, saying I was too personable to be locked up in a back room with deposits. She asked if I would like to be considered for a front-of-house position. She added that being considered for more than one position would give me a better chance of being hired. I told her I would be equally interested in both positions.

I am a perceptive person and I left feeling I had interviewed well (despite the distracting setting and redundant questions). But to my surprise -- and within 20 MINUTES of leaving the interview! -- I received a standard form email from D&B saying they did not have any positions to fit my skill set. In truth, I probably wasn't the best fit for this job...maybe I wasn't peppy enough, maybe they sensed my annoyance at their gong, maybe I was simply overqualified and they knew it. But COME ON! I don't think it would have killed them to reject me a few days later, to at least give the impression that they considered my application for more than 5 seconds. And if you think I'm a bad fit, don't feed me BS about how I'm so great I need to be in the front of the house interacting with guests...why lead me on if they clearly knew it wasn't going to work out? That's just common human decency.

In the end, I guess they did me a favor. I personally wouldn't want to work for a company that treats people like that anyway.

Special Events Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dave & Buster's.

In person interview only

Special Events Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dave & Buster's in November 2013.

Same quickie/speed dating type of initial interview. Pretty nice, fun, different. Not sure why they interview like this. You're in the room with other potentials, and three managers asking questions, all timed around 3-5minutes I think. Typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Something to the effect of what was my biggest challenged face, or something like biggest risk?   Answer Question

PMT Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dave & Buster's in September 2013.

The hiring process is very quick. You will have 3 interviews in the same day, but once you're passed the first one, you're all set.

Interview Questions
    They asked what I think I should be making. I told them 11.00 p/h they came back with 10.50 p/h. The End

Front Desk/Host Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dave & Buster's in July 2013.

The interviewing process was quite bizarre. I was taken into a room with music blasting and told to sit. There were three managers sitting across from me and I was told I would interview in a "speed dating" type manor. I was given 5 minutes to talk to the first person before they yelled switch and i was told to move to the next. They asked basic questions about how I would react in certain situations and what is important in a customer service type industry. On the way out I was given candy and a D&B sticker. After that was over I was told to meet the GM where he asked me questions about availability and salary before offering me the job. I know from working there for 9 months that this isn't the norm, but was done this way because we were opening a new store. Generally they would interview people in booths in the dining room after making them wait 20-30 minutes after their interview time. All you need to so be energetic and smile and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions
    If asked how much you wish to get paid go higher rather than lower. I had no idea so i just let them decide for me when i could've ended up being paid more.