Dave & Buster's

Getting the Interview

26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Special Event Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in March 2014.

Interview Details – Albeit it detailed, and the expected multiple steps, it was intentional, enjoyable and thought provoking.

Interview Question – As someone new to my market, what companies would I target to host an event at the venue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As expected. Professional.

PMT Technician Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in September 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is very quick. You will have 3 interviews in the same day, but once you're passed the first one, you're all set.

Interview Question – None really, just standard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked what I think I should be making. I told them 11.00 p/h they came back with 10.50 p/h. The End

Winner Circle Staff Interview

Winner Circle Staff
Frisco, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in January 2010.

Interview Details – I had gone in to fill out an application, which they make you do onsite. If you take it with you to bring back later they will not hire you. Within 3 days of that i was called in to do the interview, the first part was some basic face to face question and answers. The 2nd phase was a personality test. 100+ questionnaire that asked a lot of the same questions in different ways.

Interview Question – have you ever stolen anything.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none they will pay you a set price or they will hire someone else

Server Interview

Server
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and then received an e-mail about 3 days later from the manager saying to come to Dave and Busters in person for interviews that he was holding. I came and talked to the manger, he kind of just reviewed my job application with me, mostly just asked me about my previous job experience and then told me I was hired. He kept in contact with me via e-mail to set up dates that I would come in for training. Easiest job to get ever.

Interview Question – None were difficult, he was just reviewing my job application with me.   Answer Question

Special Events Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Dave & Buster's.

Interview Details – In person interview only

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Deposits Interview

Westchester, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dave & Buster's.

Interview Details – I saw an ad on Craigslist for multiple available positions for a new location Westchester, CA. I went to the D&B website, applied/submitted my resume, and was required to fill out a lengthy personality test. Within a day or two, I received an invitation to a D&B hiring fair at a hotel since the location was applying for was not open yet (I was able to request a time that worked for me). The "interviews" were conducted similarly to what I imagine awful speed dating would be like. I met with an administrator and two managers (who were responsible for areas of the restaurant other than what I was applying for) for a few minutes each. They all asked very similar questions about my previous work experience and the biggest challenges I've overcome before running out of time to speak with me because a gong had rung (not kidding! The gong was so ridiculous and unprofessional, even for a place that supposedly values a fun working environment). After meeting with the first three employees, I was taken to an area to meet with a more senior manager. She came off as friendly, but seemed concerned about my fit for the job I applied for, saying I was too personable to be locked up in a back room with deposits. She asked if I would like to be considered for a front-of-house position. She added that being considered for more than one position would give me a better chance of being hired. I told her I would be equally interested in both positions.

I am a perceptive person and I left feeling I had interviewed well (despite the distracting setting and redundant questions). But to my surprise -- and within 20 MINUTES of leaving the interview! -- I received a standard form email from D&B saying they did not have any positions to fit my skill set. In truth, I probably wasn't the best fit for this job...maybe I wasn't peppy enough, maybe they sensed my annoyance at their gong, maybe I was simply overqualified and they knew it. But COME ON! I don't think it would have killed them to reject me a few days later, to at least give the impression that they considered my application for more than 5 seconds. And if you think I'm a bad fit, don't feed me BS about how I'm so great I need to be in the front of the house interacting with guests...why lead me on if they clearly knew it wasn't going to work out? That's just common human decency.

In the end, I guess they did me a favor. I personally wouldn't want to work for a company that treats people like that anyway.

Interview Question – What was your best mistake?   View Answer

Busser/Runner Interview

Busser/Runner
Orange, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in May 2012.

Interview Details – Got and interview with the general manager. He didn't show up. Another assistant manager interviewed me. Didn't really ask me anything. Just asked my availability and told me to come in the following Monday.

Interview Question – Didn't ask questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Cocktail Server Interview

Cocktail Server
Hanover, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in August 2010.

Interview Details – Was recommended by a friend who was a current employee at the time for this job. Went to the location and applied in person. On the spot there was a manager who read over my application and asked me to stay and take a computer based personality and IQ test. The test took almost 40 minutes to complete, then I had to transfer my answers to a paper scan-tron (not sure why) which took another 20 minutes. After about 1 week I received a call to come in to begin paid training. Training was 8 hours a day for 1 week and followed by daily computer quizzes to make certain we were learning. If you did not get a certain score, you did not pass and were either dismissed from training or had extra days added on. After training the final interview step was to serve a table of managers and pass with flying colors. I passed all in all.

Interview Question – Explaining and learning about how many ounces of alcohol equals how many drinks in each alcoholic beverage.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Islandia, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in January 2011.

Interview Details – Initial online application, then you'll be contacted for an interview. Mine was fast and only consisted of silly stock questions like my most daring moment etc. Some people get strung along for 2-3 interviews which usually means management is either messing with you or forgot what day your scheduled to come in. All people hired on track as a server get put on a bussers and runners for how long depends on experience. You go through a 4 day class and when they think you're ready you follow and coach as a server. Then you must pass validation in order to be put on the floor. Some people like myself were serving in a week, some have been lingering as service support for months to no avail.

Negotiation Details – It's serving g food you get tipped employee minimum.

SPECIAL EVENTS Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dave & Buster's in November 2013.

Interview Details – Same quickie/speed dating type of initial interview. Pretty nice, fun, different. Not sure why they interview like this. You're in the room with other potentials, and three managers asking questions, all timed around 3-5minutes I think. Typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Something to the effect of what was my biggest challenged face, or something like biggest risk?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Dave & Buster's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dave & Buster's interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dave & Buster's employees and interview candidates.