DeNA Interview Questions & Reviews

21 interviews

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at DeNA in March 2013.

I applied online, had one phone interview and one onsite interview. The onsite interview lasted over 5 hours with several people coming to talk to me one-on-one. The questions were not very difficult, they were mostly about if I'd heard of or used this or that technology, or basic questions like what does a MongoDB query look like, or what is "this" in JavaScript.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DeNA.

I had a phone screen and two on-site interviews. I felt the first interview went fairly well, all interviewers answered my questions and were nice. I was contacted a few days later to come in for a second interview.

Round two, I interviewed with another person and lastly had a Skype interview while I was at their office (a little strange). Then as I finished up, I was told that they were still going to screen applicants later that week (At my first interview I asked what next steps were and was told they would select their top two candidates from round one and then select one final candidate from round two interviews).

Why would a company have someone come in for round two interviews and waste the candidate's and their own time while they continue looking for more candidates? It made me more irritated since I'm working and taking time off to interview isn't easy. They should know this.

Don't waste your time with this company..

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DeNA.

A recruiter reached out to me within 48 hours after I submitted my application. A phone screen was set up shortly after, followed my an onsite interview. The onsite interview was on a Friday during lunchtime, and I didn't know who was interviewing me until I arrived onsite. The interviews were pretty conversational. I noticed that none of the interviewers seemed excited about the company, which was disappointing.

Games Analyst and Design Interview

As a non-local candidate I went through a thorough interview process. It first started off with a phone screen, and then a phone interview. 3 Skype interviews followed all of which were similar in content -> understanding my comfort with mobile game design as well as fit for the company. Each interview was about 30minutes in length. They also send out an Excel test to complete, which takes about 2-3 hours to do. I was flown out to San Francisco for an on-site interview and the process was a day long event, but generally the same questions as in the past interviews. I was told that if I did well enough I would be able to meet C-level execs, which I did, but at the end did not receive the offer. The interviews were set up in a prompt manner, as emails and decisions for returned within days. The entire process took under a month. HR did great in making this a smooth and friendly process - this post is a shoutout to them!

Interview Questions
    • Prepare for Game Design questions and understand the relevant data (in-game metrics) behind design for mobile games.   Answer Question

Producer/Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DeNA in May 2014.

The interview process was well organized from the interview arrangements to the phone interview and finally the in house interview. One of my more pleasant interviews. It would have been nice to know in advance who I'm meeting for the in house but I understand this is not Dena's usual format.

Interview Questions
    • The one unexpected questions I encountered was "How many cars you estimate a player will pass in a two mile stretch of a highway?"   View Answer

Product Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at DeNA in April 2014.

The interview process was extremely efficient - only took 3 weeks from the first interview to final interview. As I was located outside SF, I had 2 phone interviews, 2 skype interviews, and then was invited to an onsite interview with 5 people. Although the process seemed long, the communication was extremely fast (I usually hear back within the next 1-2 days). I was constantly keep in the loop about the interview process. Overall, I was very satisfied with the efficiency and transparency of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Using one mobile game that you're most familiar with as the example, please tell me how you would market this game. Please include target customer, marketing message, App store icon and screenshot in the answer.   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to talk to HR directly to voice my concerns, and they responded to me within the day with a better offer.

Game Analytics and Design Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at DeNA.

The interview process consists of one phone screen and two rounds of onsite interviews of three hours each. I had a chance to talk to over ten people at the company to learn more about the role. The entire interviewing process took two weeks and I waited another two weeks for the decision. Overall, the interview process was fairly pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • How do you convince others to accept your view? What do you do if they don't?   Answer Question

Producer/Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at DeNA in March 2014.

Interview included 3 phone interviews, and 2 in-person interview rounds with 3 people each. Refreshing to hear that even though game data performance is key for a game there, the questions asked mostly dealt with how to make a fun and engaging game. I was highly perplexed that only production leads were involved in interviews; no engineers or other disciplines represented. Since a product owner needs to manage efforts across departments, I thought this was the largest problem of their interview process. The questions were also all very broad in nature and did not get down to deep details around type of work the product owner would be doing.

Interview Questions
    • Prioritize ranking of Project Management, Design, and Product Management experience and enjoyment and describe why.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DeNA in March 2014.

My interview was conducted in about six hours over a couple of weeks. It was composed of around 6 1:1 sessions, plus a few informal meetings with other DeNA team members. The team members were smart, professional and friendly. I felt like the interview process was thorough and well organized.

Interview Questions
    • One of the 1:1 discussions covered a database failure in a web application. The troubleshooting discussion spanned front-ends, middleware and the database tier.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at DeNA in March 2011.

It's really tiring many days of interviews, many people interviewing, waste of time. They all ask the same questions, they show up late, I can tell a lot of these people have not been trained to interview, it's like they got hired and a week in were asked to conduct an interview did not even know much about the company they were working at yetl

Worked for DeNA? Contribute to the Community!