DeVry University

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Admissions Advisor I

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at DeVry University in July 2011.

Interview Details – Received an email from a recruiter. Spoke to recruiter in a phone interview. Took personality and basic math skills tests online. Came in for in person interview - 2 people interviewed me at once. Had to get a drug screen test and they also had to verify that I had a Bachelor's degree. Got the offer a week later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The salary was non-negotiable.

Interviewed at DeVry University

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by a face to face interview with 2 or more people.

Interview Question – giving equal attention to both interviews and answering both the questions.   Answer Question

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DeVry University in May 2013.

Interview Details – This position was for the Online Programs Admissions Advisor I in Orlando,FL. First had a phone interview with someone for the IL headquarters. She called me 15 minutes late so I was pretty frustrated about that when she finally decided to call. The interview took about 30 minutes and she just asked standard behavioral questions, strengths and weaknesses, and asked me to go through my resume for her. About 15 minutes into the interview I heard dogs barking in the background. She freaked out and kept saying sorry that she was "working from home." She told me someone would be calling in 2 days schedule a face to face interview. Didn't actually get a call until two weeks later.

The face to face interview wasn't that much better. I got there 10 minutes early for a 10AM appointment. I didn't get called in to see anyone until 10:45AM. Apparently the people at DeVry have no sense of punctuality. The interviewers (there were 2) were dressed in jeans and baggy t-shirts. One of them mentioned that it was casual Friday, but honestly if you know you're interview people you might want to dress a little nicer. The interview went well. They described the position and asked just about the same questions as during the phone interview. After the interview they put me with someone that was working to see what the a day working as an advisor would be like. They said they would get back to me in 3 buisness days and I still haven't heard back from anyone and it's been 2 weeks since I had my interview.

Interview Question – What would you tell a student that told you no other university charges an application fee like DeVry does?   Answer Question

Admissions Advisor I

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview Details – Applied online
1) Recruiter phone screen, job/responsibilities description, work hours then phone interview -
30 minutes
2) Personality and skills assesment test - 30 minutes
3) 1:1 interview with direct report Hiring Manager- 45 minutes
4) Phone interview with Regional Manager- 45 minutes
4) 1:1 interview with campus Dean of Students - 1 hour
5) Offer then background and drug screen

HR staff was very professional, phone calls to set appointments followed up with email confirmations. Standard and behavioral interview questions based on customer service, problem solving and team work. Formal offer in writing with option to review benefits package before accepting offer. Very little room for salary negotiation.

Interview Question – The usual interview questions, "Walk me through your resume, Why do you want to leave your current employer, Why DeVry, What qualities do you bring to the team, What are your strengths, What are your weaknesses,Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation.

Admissions Advisor I

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DeVry University in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online on a monday, recieved a phone call from a recruiter the next day after I applied. She set up a phone interview time for the following day. I spoke with the same person again over the phone. She asked question about my prior work experience and how I would handle different situations, the typical sales interview process. After the phone interview said somebody else will call me to set up an in person interview. She emailed me forms I had to fill out and a personality test, which I did right after the interview. A guy called me the next day to set up a interview time for the following day. I arrived for my interview that friday about five minutes early. I sat in the lobby and waited for about 15-20 minutes after my scheduled interview time, I didn't get offered any water or nothing. A guy and a girl finally came out to come interview me. They said they didn't know about the interview with me and that I didn't have a profile in the system which was bs because I did the forms on the computer the recruiter sent me 2 days prior. I had to give them my extra copies of my resume which I always have with me because I didn't have a profile. (so bring a bunch of resumes when you interview) The guy did pretty much all the talking while the girl wrote notes all over my nice resume. After the basic resume and experience questions he talked mainly about the University, what it had to offer as far as benefits, and the training needed to perform the job, the girl would jump in randomly with a personality question or talk about how difficult the job is. She kept looking at the time while he was asking me questions and talking about devry. It was clear they weren't on the same page at all. Lol. When I was done she asked if I had any questions while she was cleaning up the interview table up, (stacking my resume and grabbing her pen) so I asked a question directed towards the guy to waste more time since clearly it seemed like I was wasting hers. Lol. The guy said they will give me a call if I made the cut to interview with the dean of the school. We shook hands and the guy walked me to the entrance of the school while the girl left after we shook hands. I knew I wasn't going to get the job if she had anything to do with it. Lol. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks after that.

Interview Question – They asked your basic sales interview questions like "what coud you add to our team"   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at DeVry University in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few days later recieved a phone call from a recruiter. He set up a phone interview time. I spoke with him again for the phone interview in which he asked me several questions about my prior experience and how I would handle different situations. He was very nice. He set up an in person interview for me with the director.

I arrived for my interview with the director five minutes early. I sat in a waiting room and could see her talking with someone else. Fifteen minutes after my scheduled interview time she finally had time to talk with me. She was nice but she asked questions that other interviewers don't normally ask such as what other schools was I applying to and if I was re-hirable at the last school I had worked for.

When it was my turn to ask questions, one question was whether or not they used a tiering system to distribute leads. She acted like I was dumb and had just asked a stupid question. Of course not! Tiering is illegal and perhaps I needed to go home and do some more research on how things worked in this field. (After I got home I asked an old co-worker if they were still using a tiering system at work. Yes, they are. So this director didn't know what she was talking about and she left thinking that I was the one who was misinformed.)

When I was done she asked if I had any more questions. I said no, that was in and she asked me if I was sure....twice. It was as if she was trying to get me to ask something specific but I had no idea what I had missed.

I left knowing she wouldn't hire me but I sent the nice hand written thank you note anyway. I heard nothing......from anyone. I didn't even get a rejection email.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for DeVry over University of Pheonix? (I wanted to say that either would do and really what I wanted was a job but I said something about their superior accreditation.)   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at DeVry University in January 2011.

Interview Details – Behavioral based questions with a large emphasis on customer service and comfort level on phone.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at DeVry University in March 2010.

Interview Details – As long as you act like you care about people and their educational goals then you will get the job... I had a friend get an interview here and the manager asked her to "sell his watch to her".. DeVry is really a joke, so I wouldnt even accept an interview, unless you were desperate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you tried to help someone and they were not happy with your service?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotitation

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at DeVry University in March 2009.

Interview Details – Great interview. The process was very clean. I was scheduled and met with the appropriate personnel. I did have an initial, very brief phone interview to gauge my interest. The interview lasted a couple of hours. Very professional environment. The culture is business professional, progressive, but very relaxed. I was very impressed with the interviewer(s) and the staff who greeted me.

Interview Question – Describe an experience where you failed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation. The offer was within my demands.

Admissions Advisor I

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at DeVry University in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on career builder for the Admissions Adviser position and 10 days later I received an E-mail regarding the initial phone interview. In the phone Interview I was asked a few basic questions about my resume and professional background, it took about 15 minutes. Then I was sent links to an online application and a skills/personality/IQ assessment. there on the process for the in-office Interview took a while to be set up, i went in and was interviewed by two assistant directors the interview lasted around 45 minutes. I received a call that I was not chosen for the position two weeks later.

Interview Question – What would you tell an employee who always complains about the work schedule and work load?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at DeVry University

Worked for DeVry University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DeVry University Admissions Advisor I interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by DeVry University employees and interview candidates.