DeVry University Admissions Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014

3.3

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Admissions Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at DeVry University.

Submitted resume to a recruiter, and was sent an e-mail to complete two assessments - one was a quantitative reasoning assessment, and the the other was a "judgment" assessment. I was informed by the recruiter on the same day that I completed the assessments that, while I did extremely well on the quantitative reasoning assessment, I did not meet requirements on the "judgment" assessment, and I was given best wishes in my job search. I wasn't even told WHY or HOW I didn't meet requirements. I assume that one has to have a certain type of temperament or belief system to even be called in for an interview, and I suppose that mine just didn't fit, which is a shame, as I enjoy helping people and I have loads of experience in proprietary education.

Interview Questions
  • Didn't even get to the in-person interview step, so I don't have any questions to post.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for DeVry University

Admissions Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University.

Once the electronic rover has scanned your resume and human resources has vetted you, you'll have an in-person interview with the Director of Admissions, and then a second interview with the Campus Dean. There is an extensive skills test (math, logic, personality traits) If all of that is in your favor, then the background and drug test, and you're done.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell an education since it is not something the customer can hold or readily see the effects that derive from it?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation process, they explain the compensation package at your time of hire and that's that. It's particularly lucrative, so not a bad thing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at DeVry University.

I interviewed with the Director of Admissions and an Admissions Manager. They actually played "good cop/bad cop" to try and get me frustrated to see my reaction. I figured what was going on pretty quickly, and was able to handle it well. It turned me off to anything else these two women had to say for the rest of my time there. I was working within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult, typically customer service/sales pitch questions. Know that they are looking for you to be able to close the sale every time, through emotional manipulation if necessary.   Answer Question
    I negotiated with the HR person and I felt it was like any other process.

Admissions Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University.

Phone screen w/HR pretty standard situational questions....personality testing w/an algebra component. One on One interview with two people normally an assistant director (supervisor) and Director (manager). You will find a lot of the questions are sales oiented in nature but the terminology is tweaked slighty since this is not sales in theory. There will also be a drug and background check assuming you are offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • "A student you interviewed calls back and says I want to hold off on school because I just got promoted and don't need it anymore"....how do you get him/her to start classes anyway?   Answer Question
    No negotiation....one size fit all low to mid 40's

Admission Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at DeVry University in October 2011.

They ask behavioral interview questions. There is a boacground check and drug screen. They are hiring entry level Admissions Advisors for on line. The on line division is the growth engine of Devry University.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a co working that was not contributing to the team.   View Answer
    There was none, I did not want to negotiate, I felt the offer was fair and reasonable relative to the researchI conducted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in July 2010.

I initially was referred to DeVry by a staffing company employee, because I had a good phone personality and sales skills. I submitted my resume without having seen a job description, so I didn't know that I was under the min. experience level requested. Initially I had to complete an online screening test, consisting of math (finance story problems) and a personality test. Next, I had to send a follow-up email and leave a voicemail before getting an interview set up. The HR rep later later told me that they want to see persistence and follow-up in their applicants.

The first part of the interview was with two lower management members. They were suspicious that my desire to help people would interfere with my capacity to excel in the sales aspects of this position, which, if you haven't already guessed from reading the other reviews, is actually what the position is focused on. The second part of the interview was with an upper management member who seemed disinterested in the whole thing. Questions in both parts were very standard "corporate interview" fare. These people take the idea of selling an education very seriously.

Several days later, the HR rep contacted me and said they had gone with another candidate who met the experience criteria, but referred me to a different campus location to interview for a similar position. This position, "High School Admissions Recruiter", appears to be the exact same job as the regular "Admissions Advisor" except that you specifically target high schoolers and their parents. This position has less of an experience requirement, so they can pay you less money for doing essentially the same job.

I went to a different Chicago location to interview the next day, and was told that the man I was supposed to interview with had left the office for the day already because there had been a miscommunication. Instead, I met only with the HR representative, and was told I'd have to come back on yet another day in order to meet with the man who had left the office early. I felt this was rather unprofessional and was annoyed by the whole thing. Everything seemed very disorganized in the offices there (downtown location appeared to be much more professional).

By the time I left, I decided I have no desire to work there and try and "sell" kids on an education that they can't actually afford. I was initially drawn to interview with them because of the 39K starting salary and great benefits, which could really help me out. The High School Admissions Rep starts at 35K, though, and while it would be worth it to me to do certain other jobs for that salary (I'm a recent college grad and it's hard to get that much at entry level in this economy) I just wouldn't be able to stomach doing this job.

If you do decide to pursue this job, my advice is to follow-up a lot - they're looking for sales people, and will judge you on how persistent you are in selling yourself.

Interview Questions
    • How do you define hard work?   View Answer
    • What would you do if you were struggling to meet your weekly recruitment goals?   View Answer
    • What would you say are a couple of your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in June 2010.

The interviewing process consists of several phone and/or personal interviews. The applications are screened by internal recruiters and candidates must complete a behavorial assessment before the initial meeting with the hiring manager. Typically, once in the interview process a candidate will need to interview three different managers before an offer will be provided.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions are situations based questions so it is important to go into the interview prepared with examples of real life situations where you were able to solve a problem or handle a specific situation.   View Answer
    There is very little if any room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in May 2010.

It started with a phone interview with HR, then a face to face interview, with DA, then ADA. Then another face to face interview with the Dean of the campus. Then I phone interview with the regional DA.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to role play during the first interview, and convince the DA to attend the school   View Answer
    negotiated nothing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DeVry University in March 2010.

DeVry found my resume online and proceeded to call me for a brief phone interview/screening. I was invited to a group interview on a Saturday morning at their offices in Addison. The interview consisted of an info session about the company, job details, benefits, etc. This was about an hour long. The second hour was spent going around the room and asking different interview questions to each person in the room, and answering them in front of the others. We went through the whole room twice (two questions for each person, about 12-14 people in the group). At the end we were instructed to leave a resume and fill out a form that detailed availability for a 1:1 interview if they decided to go that route, followed by a tour of the facility. It seemed like a standard cubicle farm, but plenty of windows and it did seem to be a place with decent camaraderie cultivated by competition between small teams. I was called 6 days later, the next Friday, and set up an interview for the next week. That was a standard interview. I heard back 4 days later by email from their head HR person that they would be going a different direction.

Interview Questions
    • Name three strengths and three weakness   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in June 2009.

Recruiter called, I had to interview with her on the phone and in person. Then I did a group interview with other candidates. Then I did a 1:1 interview with a ADA and DA

No negotiation