DeVry University

86 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Academics Interview

Academics

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview Details – There were three interviews. The initial one was with HR, and covered quite a bit of necessary information. The second was with the people working in the area where I would be, and was great both give and take. I was impressed with the quality of the people. The third, which should have been a caution for me, was that EVERY person for every position had to interview with the President of the campus. On a campus with hundreds of employees, this should have indicated a small-minded person who could not trust subordinates' judgment about employment.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, and no gotchas. Some of the questions were obviously looking for rote answers, and were a part of a social norming process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Read "How to make $1000 a minute negotiating your salary." I did. I upped my salary from the initially offered amount by 5%. They would not budge on two quality of life issues that were more important than salary to me, however, and it was ultimately quality of life, and not salary, that drove me away. That, and the need to lie to students.

Student Success Coach Interview

Student Success Coach

Interview Details – Te hiring process consists of the initial assessment completed on a computer. It was the "fastest & most accurate responses" assessment that also measured problem-solving skills. If your results meet the needs for the position (whatever measurement they use) then you moved onto the interview process. For the SSC position, there were two parts to the interview process. There was a one-on-one interview with the direct manager for about an hour and a half. Then there was a panel interview of three to four DeVry employees from various departments for about an hour and a half. Both parts consisted of behavioral response-type questions, such as "if you were in this situation, how would you respond" or "give me an example of a time where you had a challenging customer & how did you resolve it?" Outside of the three hours total of interview time, the interviewee is complete. From there, the panel provides input on their perception of the individual and whether or not they would be a good fit for the team.

Interview Question – "When was a time you had to tell a customer "no" and how did you handle the situation?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible, but that may have also been the HR woman I was working with. She wasn't on the competent side at all.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Admissions Advisor
Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the Director of Admissions and an Admissions Manager. They actually played "good cop/bad cop" to try and get me frustrated to see my reaction. I figured what was going on pretty quickly, and was able to handle it well. It turned me off to anything else these two women had to say for the rest of my time there. I was working within 2 weeks.

Interview Question – The questions weren't difficult, typically customer service/sales pitch questions. Know that they are looking for you to be able to close the sale every time, through emotional manipulation if necessary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated with the HR person and I felt it was like any other process.

Admissions Representative Interview

Admissions Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview Details – basically they make you fill out a long form millions of questions then you do an inhouse group interview which is awkward followed by one on ones. It took HR a good 4 weeks to get back to me by which I was already employed with another company

Interview Question – They were all off a white sheet of paper (skills/passions/goals) typical run of the mill   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – already employed

Admissions Advisor Interview

Admissions Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview Details – Phone screen w/HR pretty standard situational questions....personality testing w/an algebra component. One on One interview with two people normally an assistant director (supervisor) and Director (manager). You will find a lot of the questions are sales oiented in nature but the terminology is tweaked slighty since this is not sales in theory. There will also be a drug and background check assuming you are offered the position.

Interview Question – "A student you interviewed calls back and says I want to hold off on school because I just got promoted and don't need it anymore"....how do you get him/her to start classes anyway?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation....one size fit all low to mid 40's

Registrar Specialist Interview

Registrar Specialist

I interviewed at DeVry University in March 2010.

Interview Details – Most of the time the interview process starts off with a phone interview/screening conducted by HR. Based on how that conversation goes, they may or may not invite you in for an in-person interview with the individuals who represent the hiring department. A hiring decision is made shortly after the round of in-person interviews.

Interview Question – Questions are surprisingly basic/vague in the sense that they’re pretty much standard questions that could be used for any entry level position – most questions are based on skillsets that would be useful for the position but no questions in which were specifically based on the registrar position in the higher ed industry.   Answer Question

Admissions Advisor I Interview

Admissions Advisor I
Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at DeVry University in May 2013.

Interview Details – This position was for the Online Programs Admissions Advisor I in Orlando,FL. First had a phone interview with someone for the IL headquarters. She called me 15 minutes late so I was pretty frustrated about that when she finally decided to call. The interview took about 30 minutes and she just asked standard behavioral questions, strengths and weaknesses, and asked me to go through my resume for her. About 15 minutes into the interview I heard dogs barking in the background. She freaked out and kept saying sorry that she was "working from home." She told me someone would be calling in 2 days schedule a face to face interview. Didn't actually get a call until two weeks later.

The face to face interview wasn't that much better. I got there 10 minutes early for a 10AM appointment. I didn't get called in to see anyone until 10:45AM. Apparently the people at DeVry have no sense of punctuality. The interviewers (there were 2) were dressed in jeans and baggy t-shirts. One of them mentioned that it was casual Friday, but honestly if you know you're interview people you might want to dress a little nicer. The interview went well. They described the position and asked just about the same questions as during the phone interview. After the interview they put me with someone that was working to see what the a day working as an advisor would be like. They said they would get back to me in 3 buisness days and I still haven't heard back from anyone and it's been 2 weeks since I had my interview.

Interview Question – What would you tell a student that told you no other university charges an application fee like DeVry does?   Answer Question

Directon of Admissions Interview

Directon of Admissions

I applied online and interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview Details – Very simple but very detailed.

Interview Question – What do you know about DeVry University?   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at DeVry University in March 2009.

Interview Details – Group phone interview - lasted about an hour. Lots of questions about how I would treat students, would I follow policies etc. You'd have to be an idiot not to give them the answer they wanted so you could get the job. I had to fill out a form that was essentially the same questions - so a little redundant that I asked them in the interview.

Interview Question – Would I stop my teaching at other schools so as not to interfere with my teaching for them? I said no...but couldn't believe they even suggested it. Turns out they don't like you teaching for their competitors. I teach at a state school - had to laugh that devry thinks of them as a competitor. Almost told them that people go to devry because they can't get into state schools. Then after having been there for a few years they suddenly asked me to get a drug test. That was the final straw. Low pay, no raises...and out of the blue a drug test. I resigned.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation - take it or leave it.

Admissions Representative Interview

Admissions Representative
Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview Details – Interview process was streamline. Phone screening through HR Generalist. After phone screening was invited for a personal interview with the Director of Admissions following immediately by the Assistant Director of Admissions. Since I had nothing else to do that day, they pulled me directly into a Panel Interview with the Dean of Student Central, the Director of High School Programs, and Manager of Financial Aid. I received a call the next day with the job offer.

Interview Question – How would you regularly overcome an objection?   Answer Question