DeVry University

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

2.9

Admissions Advisor I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in December 2012.

I applied online on a monday, recieved a phone call from a recruiter the next day after I applied. She set up a phone interview time for the following day. I spoke with the same person again over the phone. She asked question about my prior work experience and how I would handle different situations, the typical sales interview process. After the phone interview said somebody else will call me to set up an in person interview. She emailed me forms I had to fill out and a personality test, which I did right after the interview. A guy called me the next day to set up a interview time for the following day. I arrived for my interview that friday about five minutes early. I sat in the lobby and waited for about 15-20 minutes after my scheduled interview time, I didn't get offered any water or nothing. A guy and a girl finally came out to come interview me. They said they didn't know about the interview with me and that I didn't have a profile in the system which was bs because I did the forms on the computer the recruiter sent me 2 days prior. I had to give them my extra copies of my resume which I always have with me because I didn't have a profile. (so bring a bunch of resumes when you interview) The guy did pretty much all the talking while the girl wrote notes all over my nice resume. After the basic resume and experience questions he talked mainly about the University, what it had to offer as far as benefits, and the training needed to perform the job, the girl would jump in randomly with a personality question or talk about how difficult the job is. She kept looking at the time while he was asking me questions and talking about devry. It was clear they weren't on the same page at all. Lol. When I was done she asked if I had any questions while she was cleaning up the interview table up, (stacking my resume and grabbing her pen) so I asked a question directed towards the guy to waste more time since clearly it seemed like I was wasting hers. Lol. The guy said they will give me a call if I made the cut to interview with the dean of the school. We shook hands and the guy walked me to the entrance of the school while the girl left after we shook hands. I knew I wasn't going to get the job if she had anything to do with it. Lol. I got a rejection email about 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • They asked your basic sales interview questions like "what coud you add to our team"   Answer Question

Associate Dean Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at DeVry University in September 2012.

I applied online for the position. I received a phone call within 24 hours of my submission. I had an interview with HR which went well. I was then passed on the Dean, Associate Deans and Campus President. Each of these went well. I waited 40 days to get a non response as to whether an offer was forthcoming. I received 3 offers from competitors but wanted to see this situation to completion given i was interested in Devry. Finally, I called back HR and was disappointed that there was no decision. The HR person indicated to me that they were obviously in no hurry to fill the position. This was counter to the information given by the Campus President or Deans. After this I withdrew from the position an accepted an offer with another academic institution. Three days after I withdrew I received an email which didn't even have my name on it indicating they would be pursuing other candidates. Classy.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in July 2012.

I received a call back in mid-July and interviewed with the Dean of Academic Affairs for a position that began in late August. The first interview was 30 minutes, covering the basics - and there was nothing remarkable about it. I passed the screen. The second interview was a simulated classroom test, teaching to the Dean. He sought a highly interactive style of teaching in which every student would be asked a question at least once per session.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult but I was asked to compute the CPI in the classroom session.   Answer Question
    I took what they offered, but the contract was not made available until the day before classes began. This was a bit off-putting but I wanted the job, so I took a chance, and had no regrets.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at DeVry University in May 2012.

Extended Interview and evaluation process with little communication between each successive step. The people are very easy to relate to and work with and encourage you each step of the way. The culture is definitely collaborative. The standards for acceptance are high but not insurmountable. The position being interviewed for was as an instructor for the Becker CPA Review course.

Interview Questions
    • Explain why you are interested in this position and identify the qualities that make you a superior candidate.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, compensation was stated as predetermined.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL

I applied online – interviewed at DeVry University in April 2012.

I interviewed on site with several managers for two different positions in the HR department within a 3-month period. No one got back to me. I contacted the recruiters to politely ask whether the positions were filled and they did not respond at all. Very unprofessional HR team!

Admissions Advisor I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DeVry University in April 2012.

I applied online and a few days later recieved a phone call from a recruiter. He set up a phone interview time. I spoke with him again for the phone interview in which he asked me several questions about my prior experience and how I would handle different situations. He was very nice. He set up an in person interview for me with the director.

I arrived for my interview with the director five minutes early. I sat in a waiting room and could see her talking with someone else. Fifteen minutes after my scheduled interview time she finally had time to talk with me. She was nice but she asked questions that other interviewers don't normally ask such as what other schools was I applying to and if I was re-hirable at the last school I had worked for.

When it was my turn to ask questions, one question was whether or not they used a tiering system to distribute leads. She acted like I was dumb and had just asked a stupid question. Of course not! Tiering is illegal and perhaps I needed to go home and do some more research on how things worked in this field. (After I got home I asked an old co-worker if they were still using a tiering system at work. Yes, they are. So this director didn't know what she was talking about and she left thinking that I was the one who was misinformed.)

When I was done she asked if I had any more questions. I said no, that was in and she asked me if I was sure....twice. It was as if she was trying to get me to ask something specific but I had no idea what I had missed.

I left knowing she wouldn't hire me but I sent the nice hand written thank you note anyway. I heard nothing......from anyone. I didn't even get a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for DeVry over University of Pheonix? (I wanted to say that either would do and really what I wanted was a job but I said something about their superior accreditation.)   Answer Question

National Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in November 2011.

Just be patient... A week after I applied I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter (very nice and transparent) then met with the National Director a few days later. I never felt I was in an interview, she made the atmosphere very relaxed and conversational. We spoke for about 3 hours and I felt very comfortable with her, the various aspects of the position and the working environment. Formal questions only dealt with the specifics of my previous position but the rest of the time we were able to get a good sense of each others character.
     It was refreshing to have such a relaxed interview after some of the other rigid formats I'd attended in the past.
    Few weeks went by (I'm sure they interviewed other candidates) I was offered a position with another company so I called the recruiter with Devry, she got in touch with the National Director immediately. She scheduled a phone call with me 2 days later, offered me the position and I accepted.

Intense background check, make sure everything is accurate on your application. All of your references will be called.

Interview Questions
    • How many accounts were you required to close annually?   Answer Question
    Let them know your previous salary and if it's within their reach they will offer a competitive wage.

Student Finance Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at DeVry University in November 2011.

Everybody was friendly and very professional.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult co-worker?   Answer Question
    They were fair. They consider your experience along with the average salary of your position.

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DeVry University in October 2011.

Was called for a brief screen and set up a phone interview. Phone Interview, which included situational questions and things like why devry? what are your strengths? How would you approach a situation in which the student was not interested? and the same ones others have posted here.

Was told at the end of the phone interview that I would be set up with an on site interview with the director and assistant director of admissions. The onsite interview was harder and more intimidating. Director did most of the talking. I knew in the middle of the meeting that I would not take the job if I got an offer. Felt like the dude was nice because he had too not because he wanted too.

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University in October 2011.

I applied normally through the library and had a recommendation from another worker so i got an interview immediately.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do when you do not have any work on hand to do?   View Answer
    Non negotiable