DeVry University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.8

Admissions Adviosr Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at DeVry University in September 2013.

Interview

Had to take a personality and IQ test. A set of 3 interviews with a recruiter and upper management. After accepting the offer, had to complete a drug test

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was very straight forward

Academics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University.

Interview

There were three interviews. The initial one was with HR, and covered quite a bit of necessary information. The second was with the people working in the area where I would be, and was great both give and take. I was impressed with the quality of the people. The third, which should have been a caution for me, was that EVERY person for every position had to interview with the President of the campus. On a campus with hundreds of employees, this should have indicated a small-minded person who could not trust subordinates' judgment about employment.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, and no gotchas. Some of the questions were obviously looking for rote answers, and were a part of a social norming process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Read "How to make $1000 a minute negotiating your salary." I did. I upped my salary from the initially offered amount by 5%. They would not budge on two quality of life issues that were more important than salary to me, however, and it was ultimately quality of life, and not salary, that drove me away. That, and the need to lie to students.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at DeVry University (Naperville, IL).

Interview

I interviewed with the Director of Admissions and an Admissions Manager. They actually played "good cop/bad cop" to try and get me frustrated to see my reaction. I figured what was going on pretty quickly, and was able to handle it well. It turned me off to anything else these two women had to say for the rest of my time there. I was working within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult, typically customer service/sales pitch questions. Know that they are looking for you to be able to close the sale every time, through emotional manipulation if necessary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated with the HR person and I felt it was like any other process.

Student Success Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University.

Interview

Te hiring process consists of the initial assessment completed on a computer. It was the "fastest & most accurate responses" assessment that also measured problem-solving skills. If your results meet the needs for the position (whatever measurement they use) then you moved onto the interview process. For the SSC position, there were two parts to the interview process. There was a one-on-one interview with the direct manager for about an hour and a half. Then there was a panel interview of three to four DeVry employees from various departments for about an hour and a half. Both parts consisted of behavioral response-type questions, such as "if you were in this situation, how would you respond" or "give me an example of a time where you had a challenging customer & how did you resolve it?" Outside of the three hours total of interview time, the interviewee is complete. From there, the panel provides input on their perception of the individual and whether or not they would be a good fit for the team.

Interview Questions

• "When was a time you had to tell a customer "no" and how did you handle the situation?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation possible, but that may have also been the HR woman I was working with. She wasn't on the competent side at all.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at DeVry University.

Interview

basically they make you fill out a long form millions of questions then you do an inhouse group interview which is awkward followed by one on ones. It took HR a good 4 weeks to get back to me by which I was already employed with another company

Interview Questions

• They were all off a white sheet of paper (skills/passions/goals) typical run of the mill   Answer Question

already employed

Admissions Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University.

Interview

Phone screen w/HR pretty standard situational questions....personality testing w/an algebra component. One on One interview with two people normally an assistant director (supervisor) and Director (manager). You will find a lot of the questions are sales oiented in nature but the terminology is tweaked slighty since this is not sales in theory. There will also be a drug and background check assuming you are offered the position.

Interview Questions

• "A student you interviewed calls back and says I want to hold off on school because I just got promoted and don't need it anymore"....how do you get him/her to start classes anyway?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation....one size fit all low to mid 40's

Directon of Admissions Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at DeVry University.

Interview

Very simple but very detailed.

Admissions Advisor I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at DeVry University (Orlando, FL) in May 2013.

Interview

This position was for the Online Programs Admissions Advisor I in Orlando,FL. First had a phone interview with someone for the IL headquarters. She called me 15 minutes late so I was pretty frustrated about that when she finally decided to call. The interview took about 30 minutes and she just asked standard behavioral questions, strengths and weaknesses, and asked me to go through my resume for her. About 15 minutes into the interview I heard dogs barking in the background. She freaked out and kept saying sorry that she was "working from home." She told me someone would be calling in 2 days schedule a face to face interview. Didn't actually get a call until two weeks later.

The face to face interview wasn't that much better. I got there 10 minutes early for a 10AM appointment. I didn't get called in to see anyone until 10:45AM. Apparently the people at DeVry have no sense of punctuality. The interviewers (there were 2) were dressed in jeans and baggy t-shirts. One of them mentioned that it was casual Friday, but honestly if you know you're interview people you might want to dress a little nicer. The interview went well. They described the position and asked just about the same questions as during the phone interview. After the interview they put me with someone that was working to see what the a day working as an advisor would be like. They said they would get back to me in 3 buisness days and I still haven't heard back from anyone and it's been 2 weeks since I had my interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell a student that told you no other university charges an application fee like DeVry does?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at DeVry University (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview process was OK. Could have been better....was a bit unorganized. I liked all of the people I interviewed with, everyone was very nice. The only issue I had was the confusion and lack of organization I experienced. the overall experience was just OK, I wasn't that impressed...but it might be a good fit for someone else, you never know.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about work experience..   1 Answer

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DeVry University (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Interview process was streamline. Phone screening through HR Generalist. After phone screening was invited for a personal interview with the Director of Admissions following immediately by the Assistant Director of Admissions. Since I had nothing else to do that day, they pulled me directly into a Panel Interview with the Dean of Student Central, the Director of High School Programs, and Manager of Financial Aid. I received a call the next day with the job offer.