Dealer.com

16 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

UI Developer Interview

UI Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted directly by a Dealer.com recruiter.

I was asked to submit two exercises using HTML and javascript
- Key Counts - This involved summing up some data that was contained in a textarea
- Palindrome Detection - This was simply to detect if a input field contained a palindrome

I was then asked to do a Round 1 interview over Google Hangouts (w/ video). I was asked a series of technical questions by a panel of Sr. Developers then presented with a live algorithm coding exercise over collabedit.

Two weeks later I was asked to do two more Google Hangouts: one with a few hiring managers and another with some other developers which involved a more challenging live coding exorcise.

I was then asked to fly to Vermont for the Round 2 interview. Dealer flew me up on a Sunday, I interviewed on Monday, and left that evening. The accommodations were above par, and Dealer's facilities were amazing. The team and all the people I met with while there were great.

The onsite interview involved meeting with 3 other developers who asked me a lot of technical questions. I was then asked to white board a design for an elevator bank. I then met with a few more hiring managers and pinged on my soft skills. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with the developers and going to lunch with them.

Interview Questions

• Parse a highly nested JSON object which represents a navigation menu and produce syntactically correct HTML for displaying the menu.   Answer Question
  • Using CSS and JavaScript draw a series of squares where every next square is drawn within the previous one. Each child square had to be half the height and width of its parent and both horizontally and vertically centered.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had to give an answer within less than a week. I would have had to move my family 1,500 miles north to a state where they had never been. The timing just wasn't right.

Very Easy Interview

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Burlington, VT

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com.

Interview Details – Very lame. Interviewed by several managers at the same time. Very lame. Interviewed by several managers at the same time. Very lame. Interviewed by several managers at the same time. Very lame. Interviewed by several managers at the same time.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working with a young group of people.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They like to wait a very long time before giving you an offer, just to see if you get angry waiting.

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer
Burlington, VT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com in January 2014.

Interview Details – First they call you with a phone screen. Then later follow up with an email for a programming homework. My programming homework was two parts in java:
1) do palindrome detection
2) read a file of <key, value> pairs per line and then sum the values, for the same key, and print them out.

After you send that in you'll get a "1st" on site interview. On site it was some chatting then asked to do a coding problem on a laptop someone gives you. It'll be a mac. I am not a mac person, and wasn't familiar with the keyboard or the editor. I suggest you do the whole thing on the white board, if you have similar problems. They want it in java, but pseudo code was fine.

They asked me to to traverse an n-ary tree, and print it out. I probably should have suggested that when I print it out I build some html or tree type widget with + for opening - for closing type thing, to make it easier for the user to see the structure.

Interview Question – nothing too hard   Answer Question

Level II Technical Support Interview

Level II Technical Support

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com.

Interview Details – Customer service should always be the focus of the interview. DDC is a customer focused organization. Strong product skills as well as relaying departmental concerns is the key to getting the job. Aptitude is extremely important.

Interview Question – Dealing with teams that doint see your needs.   Answer Question

Full Time -Java Developer Position Interview

Full Time -Java Developer Position

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – 1 Phone interview + Programming exercise to be completed within 4-5 days + Video interview with team members. The next step is onsite interview.

Interview Question – Programming exercise:
1) Write a function that sums up keys in a text file.
2) Write a function that determines if a given string is a palindrome.
Asked to create and implement test cases.

Interview with team members: Question on Lists.
  Answer Question

Manager, Digital Advisor Interview

Manager, Digital Advisor
Burlington, VT

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com in April 2011.

Interview Details – Three interviews were conducted. One with the hiring manager and their peers, one with the Director at the time and the Associate Director, and finally one with the CMO. The interviews were each about 3 business days apart and an offer was made about 3 business days after the final interview.

Interview Question – What scares you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

SEO Analyst Interview

SEO Analyst
Burlington, VT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com.

Interview Details – Phone interviews, meet in person twice. Straightforward.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay was too low

SEO Analyst Interview

SEO Analyst

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com.

Interview Details – Applied online. Contacted by HR to set up a phone conversation with the head of the department. The phone conversation was 30 minutes tops and covered basic SEO knowledge - pretty straight forward. This led to being contacted again by my HR representative, giving me an assignment of creating content as an example for one of their clients. After submitting this, a a face-to-face interview was set up with the same department head and who was to be my immediate manager. Questions in the face-to-face started with items like team building experience and quickly got into SEO related questions. Nothing was done to trick you but if you didn't know at least your basics you would have been weeded out. Then your knowledge was put to the test by analyzing a live website and critiquing it. For example, how you would improve optimization - if necessary at all. After that we spoke pretty casually and discussed the company and the automotive industry. I was then given a tour of the facilities. HR representative called two weeks later to offer the job, which I later negotiated a slightly higher starting salary.

Interview Question – Describe your team building experience. This is because you focus on the technical side in preparing for your interview and get thrown off by the fluff questions. These probably are more about how you answer then what the actual answer is itself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Calculated what I wanted, called, and asked for it. HR representative explained how the salary reflected the market in the area (fair enough). My call was later returned and I received a new contract with a slightly higher salary than for what I asked.

Production Web Developer Interview

Production Web Developer
Burlington, VT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of Dealer sending me a test site to develop within 7 days. They provided the site requirements and assets. Once that was completed to their satisfaction, a small group interview was conducted.

Interview Question – What is the difference between the CSS styles 'visibility: hidden' and 'display: none'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They said this is what we're offering...take it or leave it.

UI Programmer Interview

UI Programmer
Burlington, VT

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Dealer.com in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process at Dealer.com is long but worth the effort. There are usually at least 2 interviews and code submission for technical staff. I received a short, simple coding exercise from the technical recruiter before the interviews began. After that, the first interview was with the recruiter and 2 senior members of technical staff. It was a basic, who are you, what have you done and why do you want to work here interview.

The second (technical) interview was more intense. There were 2 parts and 4 technical staff members present. Each part was a separate coding exercise. It was a recursion problem and could be complete just with psuedo code. The second part was more of an OO strategy exercise in which i was to plan out the objects and methods to run a bank of elevators in a building.

In my case, i had yet another interview in which i met with 3 technical staff members and showed some of my past work and talked about the job and the company.

Interview Question – the elevator exercise was fun but difficult in that you could go on for a very long time refining   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – little negotiation

Worked for Dealer.com? Contribute to the Community!