Dealer.com

Updated Jan 25, 2015
Updated Jan 25, 2015

2.9

Digital Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dealer.com.

Contacted me a few days after I submitted my online application. Total process consisted of a first round of interviews and then a more selective second round. During the first round, I was interviewed by 3 gentlemen from their digital advising team. During the second round, I interviewed more with the Director of Talent Development over conference call with the Vermont office. The HR staff and digital advising manager sat in with me and observed.

I thought the overall process was pretty pain-free. It was really nice to not have to dress up in a suit and tie.

Interview Questions
    • How would you start an SEO campaign? What are the steps you'd take to facilitate this?   Answer Question

Copywriter Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dealer.com in January 2015.

Applied online and received an email outlining the salary range to check that it was within my range. After that, I had one phone interview with an HR rep, which consisted just of basic get-to-know-you type of items. Very informal and easygoing.

Immediately set up a second interview with the VP of the division that was hiring for later that week. Interview was cancelled the day of, due to an unforeseen meeting and never rescheduled. Received a cold call from the VP a week later, as some lines of communication got crossed, he offered to reschedule, but we performed the interview anyways. Pretty straightforward interview about my management style and ethics. Really informal and pleasant.

Waited a few days and got an email that they were interested in flying me into town for an in-person series of interviews. Flew in the following week and interviewed again with the VP (even more pleasant and enjoyable than on the phone), and interviewed with two additional team managers, as well as the HR lead that initially contacted me.

They were very hospitable, as they put me up in a great hotel, gave me a grand tour and fed me a delicious and healthy lunch. I left very impressed. Flew home on Tuesday, had an offer by Thursday and a generous counter-offer was accepted on Friday.

With exception of that one miscommunication and some confusion on the travel arrangements, the entire process was great. This is a super-busy company, so things move a mile a minute, so some mistakes are expected.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your worst qualities?   View Answer
    Very smooth. I countered once, they came back meeting my counter and exceeding it with additional benefits to sweeten the pot.

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dealer.com.

Applied via their online portal. Received an interview offer within a day or so. Met with a few people I'd be working with. Nice an dcasual sit down. Didn't feel much pressure. Got an email back with their offer a day or so later.

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dealer.com in December 2014.

There was a phone interview followed by a short in person. After that there was a test documentation assignment followed by a 3 hour in person interview. The 3 hour interview was a series of interviews with different members of leadership followed by an hour of technical interview. The most people in the room at once was 4. Overall it was a whirlwind, but really not bad in the end.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to get ready for the position if you were to get an offer.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dealer.com in December 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn process and the HR thought I was a good fit for the position. The first screening process is to solve 2 java programs offline. The code has to be written, well documented and share the unit test cases in the form of JUnit cases. The questions were easy. First one was a palindrome question on strings. Second was to count the number of keys in a given file and the count of each of the keys.
    I cleared the first round without much difficulty. The second round was set up with a lead developer and senior developer over Google Hangout. They asked me about my technical experiences and projects. I went about this in details. As for hands on programming, there was only one simple question. A data structure will be given which we have to make use to print the web site links. I immediately guessed it was an n-ary tree traversal with recursion, and wrote the whole program.
    Datastructure is something like this.
    class Node {
    ArrayList<Node> children;
    String info;
    } You will be given the head to start the traversal and not print the head's info.
    The interviewers told me that I had to print the level at which leaves are. I modified my program to print the parent and children and the level at which I am printing the leaves. The interviewers agreed the solutions suits the requirement.
    The interviews were not giving any feedback while I was talking. I was doing all the talking It was not like a conversation at all!
    I promptly heard from the HR 2 days later. To my surprise he said I did not clear the technical interview. Well, I still do not have a clue I did not get selected. For others who are interviewing for this position, this will help.
    Always the same questions are asked! So, be prepared for the above programs(both rounds)The salary is not top notch.

Digital Specialist Interview

It was a 4 week process overall. There were 2 in person interviews. Each interview lasted around 45 minutes. Individuals from different parts of the company interview you.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly straight forward. The interview was like talking to someone you know.   Answer Question

Java Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dealer.com in November 2014.

Applied through LinkedIn, was contacted by the recruiter after 2-3 days to schedule an initial phone screen. The non-technical phone screen was just "getting to know you" call, where I was asked about my interests and past experiences. The same day, I was given a take-home assignment to solve, where the questions were: 1) Given (key, count) file, sum up all counts for every key 2) Detect if a given string is a palindrome. I was given a week to solve these, and after I submitted, I was asked to write Junit test cases for the same.
    A week later, I was scheduled for a video interview (on Hangout).
    One Sr. Developer and an Architect conducted the interview. Right off the bat, they asked me to give them my 'Elevator Pitch'. Then, they asked about my background, work exp. and projects. Next was the coding question, where given an n-ary tree, was asked to output the contents in a format which is easy to read (Hint: Directory structure in Windows). I started working through the solution, with some hints and discussion. After I wrote the code, was asked to enhance the appearance of the output with tabs/spaces. Although, halfway through that they asked me to wrap it up. Then, I was given a chance to ask them a few questions.
    A day later I was informed that I had performed below par on the coding question, and hence they are not continuing with the process.
    Overall, the experience was very good, especially the recruiter was very helpful (he spoke to me a couple days before the interview and gave me a crash course on do's and don't s, which was nice).

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dealer.com.

two programming problems in the very beginning. 1.5 hours phone screen. Then onsite, total 3 rounds, one technical, two behavioral rounds. Half an hour lunch. A super gym in the company. Onsite technical interview contains a coding exercise and a OOD problem.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dealer.com.

1. HR forwarded a document with two questions. One is on palindrome and the other one is a key count problem which involves reading text from a text file and counting the value.
    2. Two rounds of technical phone skype interview. Question on N-ary Trees, fibonacci recursion.
    3. Onsite interview with 4 technical rounds and a lunch with manager.
      a. Minimum stack problem.
      b. Given two tables and was asked to write couple of sql queries for different scenarios.
      c. Given millions of unsorted words on different memory components and was asked to sort them in dictionary format with out using additional memory.
     d. Explain how an internet works with a lot of follow up questions.
     e. Finally a design question with states that there are 10 different processing components which are interconnected (there is central processing component), a list of tasks is available in a queue and components in this network should complete the available tasks, non of the tasks should be left incomplete or ignored, also there is nothing like a multi broadcast thing available, no two components can work on same task.
     f. Couple of general behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Got a better offer in a convenient location.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Dealer.com.

Process involved 3 Interviews:
    1st Interview : 1 on 1 with hiring manager. Generic questions related to past work experience and my interest in the position.(30min)
    2nd Interview : Asked to perform a data analysis assignment prior to interview. Results were presented during interview. Participants included hiring manager, senior level management individual, and a data scientist. Questions asked were related to presentation. References were contacted following this interview.(1hr)
    3rd Interview: Met with seven would be team members and hiring manager. Lots of generic questions. Presented results from analysis; more questions about analysis.(1hr)

Contacted a week and half after final interview with notification that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • No out of the ordinary questions. I expected more technical questions given the supposed technical nature of the position.   Answer Question