Dean Foods

Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Interview

Finance
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dean Foods in November 2010.

Interview Details – 20 minute phone interview with talent manager, Day 1: 3 1x1 interviews with other managers in the company including hiring manager, Day 2: 2 more 1x1 interviews again with managers, phone interview with VP. Offer within a week. Typical background questions, "give me an example of a time that you...." questions. Talent manager was extremely well organized, warm, helpful.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a project you lead.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Limited willingness to negotiate. Gave some on small signing bonus and appropriate third week of paid time off for experience level. Firm on salary.

Director Interview

Director
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dean Foods in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 5 different people for five hours straight back-to-back. Each interview was one on one and one hour long and there was an escort there at the end of each hour to take me from one to the next. Very intense process with a lot of repettive questions as most had questions very similar. There were several people on the short listed slate of candidates and we apparently all went through the same process. Once the complete slate of candidates was interviewed the interviewing team met to come up with a consensus to bring back the final two. Seems like a good company, but also seems rather risk adverse. They will need to make some significant changes to get more competitive and that may be difficult when making decisions by committee. There is also somewhat of a culture to hire the young, train them in the way Dean functions and then promote internally. This is great for internal career growth and mentoring, but not particulary consistent with the need to make significant changes.

Interview Question – Describe your leadership style.   View Answer

Senior Accountant Interview

Senior Accountant
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dean Foods in March 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred by a current employee. I did a phone interview with HR and was called back within a day for an interview. I met with two managers over the period of about 2 hours. I received a follow up call with an offer within 48 hours.

Negotiation Details – Very limited. When I declined thier initial offer they offered a sign on bonus.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Plant Manager Interview

Plant Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dean Foods in September 2009.

Interview Details – Be prepared to interview with at least 4 people. Have your questions ready be dressed professional you will meet the top executives of the company. The interview process will last approximately 4 hours although you will be told 1 hour. Please be sure to study the brands and
know something about the company.

Interview Question – Tell me of your plan for development and training to move our employees foward in the future?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Company is up on market value no brainer for a fair wage.

Supply Chain Interview

Supply Chain

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dean Foods in December 2009.

Interview Details – 5 person interview spread over course of 2 days. 1 : 1 interview process including a lunch meeting.

Interview Questions

• What mistake have you made in your previous career and how did you rectify it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me of an instance where you had conflict with your superiors and how did you solve the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't try negotiating salary, but Vacation Days yes.

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dean Foods in August 2008.

Interview Details – Make sure you see the operation/location where you will be working. They like to interview you at sales offices. Be aware of the culture for the offices where you will work.

Interview Question – Experience with syndicated data and how to utilize within marketing environment.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Mechanic Interview

Mechanic

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Dean Foods in January 2009.

Interview Details – Just asked how, i came to understand the job opening was about. Then consisted to ask me what I knew about trucks, and what was i capable of doing. Then they told me what would they would expect of me, and asked if would I be able to perform their tasks.

Interview Question – What are you capable of doing?   View Answer

N/A Interview

N/A

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dean Foods in December 2009.

Interview Details – Pretty standard structured interview process. The recruiter explained the company and their business making no assumption that I knew anything about the company. Asked about why I am no longer with my last company. Was concerned about the distance from where I am to where they were located and how long it would take to get there by plane. No behavioral questions at all. Really concerned about a three month gap in my employment history. Encouraged me to call back if I didn't hear anything by the end of the week.

Interview Question – Could you explain the three month gap in your employment prior to your last position.   View Answer