Dean & Company

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dean & Company.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's recruiting website, so the interview happened on campus. It was 30 minutes long. The interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume then we did a short case study. The case was very standard and easy to get through. I got the feeling that whether or not I would get a second round depended on whether the interviewer liked me. My interviewer didn't seem very interested in my responses, and needless to say, I didn't get the second round interview.

The next day, I got an email informing me I would not be invited back, but they would be happy to set up a time for a feedback phone call. We set up a time, but no one called me until an hour later. It was rather rude.

Interview Question – You have a strong life sciences background. Why are you interested in consulting?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dean & Company.

Interview Details – Applied for a position on the company website and was contacted by their recruiting department. Interview process involved a resume interview and a series of case interviews.

Interview Question – Focus on case interviews with lots of math/problem solving. Cases across various industries - banking, cell phones, insurance, shipping.   Answer Question

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dean & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied via my university's online recruiting system. I was selected, along with about 40 other students, to interview. The interview structure and content itself was very straight forward. The case was very easy. The rep from the company, though, was extremely rude and condescending. It was one of the worst interview experiences I've had even though I aced the case.

Interview Question – If your company is about to go bankrupt, do you want high fixed costs and low variable costs, or vice versus?   View Answer

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Dean & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – This was an on-campus interview. When I entered the room, the interviewer had me fill out a form about my contact information and availability. Then she went right into the case interview. The question had to do with a company that has many businesses, and they were thinking about acquiring a calling card business. I was given information about costs, and I had to answer the question, "What should they do?" The interviewer was good at answering my questions about the case. I didn't do too well, so I was not called back for a second round interview.

Interview Question – What should the company do with the calling card business?   View Answer

Washington, DC

Interview Details – It was an on campus interview, and it was a 30 min interview consisting of the usual case interview followed by the usual five minute allotment for questions. Upon sitting down, there were no pleasantries and the interviewer just asked the case question, which was "How much should Sprint pay to carry the iPhone?" I fared rather poorly and at the 25 minute mark he started somewhat discretely looking at the next candidates resume in the pile then he just interrupted me and asked if I had any questions. Though I did terribly, when I asked for a couple pointers for how I could do better in a future interview, he did take a few minutes to give me some tips.

Interview Question – How much should Sprint pay to carry the iPhone?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Dean & Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very conversational. The case was straight forward and the interviewer did a good job of answering my questions during the experience. The question the interviewer posed dealt with a laboratory services company which picked up samples of blood from various cities (big and small), shipped them to Atlanta, and then returned them the following day along with the test results. We were asked to identify areas where we could cut costs during the collection and shipping of samples. Two of my roommates had the same interview and same question, and we seemed to have identical experiences and solutions. I felt that I was screened from the remainder of the interview process because of my test scores (SAT, ACT).

Interview Question – The question the interviewer posed dealt with a laboratory services company which picked up samples of blood from various cities (big and small), shipped them to Atlanta, and then returned them the following day along with the test results. We were asked to identify areas where we could cut costs during the collection and shipping of samples.   View Answer

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Dean & Company in May 2010.

Interview Details – how many mobile apps are there in the United States?

Interview Question – How many mobile apps are there in the U.S.?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dean & Company in October 2008.

Interview Details – 1 first round case interview followed by 2 additional case interviews in the second round. All three cases varied significantly depending on the interviewer, but tended to be more quantitative than typical strategy consulting firms. Be prepared to understand scale economics, specifically the interaction between fixed and variable cost. Additionally, brush up on your sizing questions (e.g. how large is this or that market, what share would we need for x, etc.). Lastly, think about where you can find $$ in the case by looking at the economics on a more detailed level (e.g. customer segmentation).

Interview Question – A satellite radio provider has payed $X Million dollars to exclusively hire Howard Stern. Did they overpay?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dean & Company

Worked for Dean & Company? Contribute to the Community!