Dean & Company

Updated Nov 5, 2014

3.1

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dean & Company in October 2014.

Pretty much went straight to a case interview. There was no behavior portion at all. It was a standard merger and acquisition case, but it was a pretty terrible experience given that was my first live case. The interviewer was very nice and led me through the entire case.

Interview Questions
  • What factors would you look at if Music-streaming Company A purchased music-streaming Company B?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Dean & Company

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dean & Company in September 2014.

Applied through career center and received on campus interview. Dean employees came to do a presentation the night before the interview, and it was very dry. I immediately got the vibe that the office and company were probably very boring. Could have just been my impression though.

Interview Questions
    • Case was very straight forward analysis of 3 banks in different markets and their growth rates, etc. Was expecting more of a management consulting open ended interview, but this was very interviewer led and math intensive. Involved fairly simple calculations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dean & Company.

I applied through my school's recruiting website, so the interview happened on campus. It was 30 minutes long. The interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume then we did a short case study. The case was very standard and easy to get through. I got the feeling that whether or not I would get a second round depended on whether the interviewer liked me. My interviewer didn't seem very interested in my responses, and needless to say, I didn't get the second round interview.

The next day, I got an email informing me I would not be invited back, but they would be happy to set up a time for a feedback phone call. We set up a time, but no one called me until an hour later. It was rather rude.

Interview Questions
    • You have a strong life sciences background. Why are you interested in consulting?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dean & Company.

Applied for a position on the company website and was contacted by their recruiting department. Interview process involved a resume interview and a series of case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Focus on case interviews with lots of math/problem solving. Cases across various industries - banking, cell phones, insurance, shipping.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dean & Company in October 2012.

Applied via my university's online recruiting system. I was selected, along with about 40 other students, to interview. The interview structure and content itself was very straight forward. The case was very easy. The rep from the company, though, was extremely rude and condescending. It was one of the worst interview experiences I've had even though I aced the case.

Interview Questions
    • If your company is about to go bankrupt, do you want high fixed costs and low variable costs, or vice versus?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dean & Company in October 2011.

It was an on campus interview, and it was a 30 min interview consisting of the usual case interview followed by the usual five minute allotment for questions. Upon sitting down, there were no pleasantries and the interviewer just asked the case question, which was "How much should Sprint pay to carry the iPhone?" I fared rather poorly and at the 25 minute mark he started somewhat discretely looking at the next candidates resume in the pile then he just interrupted me and asked if I had any questions. Though I did terribly, when I asked for a couple pointers for how I could do better in a future interview, he did take a few minutes to give me some tips.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

This was an on-campus interview. When I entered the room, the interviewer had me fill out a form about my contact information and availability. Then she went right into the case interview. The question had to do with a company that has many businesses, and they were thinking about acquiring a calling card business. I was given information about costs, and I had to answer the question, "What should they do?" The interviewer was good at answering my questions about the case. I didn't do too well, so I was not called back for a second round interview.

Interview Questions
    • What should the company do with the calling card business?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Dean & Company in October 2010.

The interview was very conversational. The case was straight forward and the interviewer did a good job of answering my questions during the experience. The question the interviewer posed dealt with a laboratory services company which picked up samples of blood from various cities (big and small), shipped them to Atlanta, and then returned them the following day along with the test results. We were asked to identify areas where we could cut costs during the collection and shipping of samples. Two of my roommates had the same interview and same question, and we seemed to have identical experiences and solutions. I felt that I was screened from the remainder of the interview process because of my test scores (SAT, ACT).

Interview Questions
    • The question the interviewer posed dealt with a laboratory services company which picked up samples of blood from various cities (big and small), shipped them to Atlanta, and then returned them the following day along with the test results. We were asked to identify areas where we could cut costs during the collection and shipping of samples.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dean & Company in May 2010.

how many mobile apps are there in the United States?

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dean & Company in October 2008.

1 first round case interview followed by 2 additional case interviews in the second round. All three cases varied significantly depending on the interviewer, but tended to be more quantitative than typical strategy consulting firms. Be prepared to understand scale economics, specifically the interaction between fixed and variable cost. Additionally, brush up on your sizing questions (e.g. how large is this or that market, what share would we need for x, etc.). Lastly, think about where you can find $$ in the case by looking at the economics on a more detailed level (e.g. customer segmentation).

Interview Questions
    • A satellite radio provider has payed $X Million dollars to exclusively hire Howard Stern. Did they overpay?   View Answer
    Did not negotiate.