Dean & Company

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

3.3

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dean & Company in October 2014.

Pretty much went straight to a case interview. There was no behavior portion at all. It was a standard merger and acquisition case, but it was a pretty terrible experience given that was my first live case. The interviewer was very nice and led me through the entire case.

Interview Questions
    • What factors would you look at if Music-streaming Company A purchased music-streaming Company B?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dean & Company in September 2014.

Applied through career services office at University as an advanced degree candidate. Invited for first round interview consisting of very short fit questions followed by 20 minute case. Case was fairly straightforward but felt limited room to demonstrate creativity. Heard back next day and they offered feedback which was very helpful. Firm actually does very little work n life sciences.

Interview Questions
    • What personality trait or skill that you possess would make you the best consultant?
      Case was very analytical, limited room for creativity.

Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dean & Company in September 2014.

Applied through career center and received on campus interview. Dean employees came to do a presentation the night before the interview, and it was very dry. I immediately got the vibe that the office and company were probably very boring. Could have just been my impression though.

Interview Questions
    • Case was very straight forward analysis of 3 banks in different markets and their growth rates, etc. Was expecting more of a management consulting open ended interview, but this was very interviewer led and math intensive. Involved fairly simple calculations.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dean & Company in September 2014.

They actively recruited on our campus. The on campus interview cycle took about a week. They also hosted a pre-interview reception, which was unexpected from most companies of their caliber. The interviewers were an associate, senior manager, and the head honcho. First round was with one of them, second one was with the other two. Standard case study interviews assessing market size, strategy and identifying operations issue in water industry, accounting services firm and customer call centers respectively.

Interview Questions
    • The client has a chain of customer call centers across the United States but recently their costs have been increasing. Identify the key cause.   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dean & Company.

I applied through Campus Recruiting, and was contacted within 3 days that I had recieved the second round interview

Interview Questions
    • The interview consisted of a short 5 minute period in which I walked the interviewer through my resume. The next 25 minutes consisted of a case. It was a very standard market entry case   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dean & Company in January 2014.

I applied through college/university career website and was offered an on-campus interview. Off the bat, my interviewer came in 10 minutes late with no explanation -- not a huge deal, but somewhat off putting. The interview itself was more numerical and less structured than the typical management consulting cases I've experienced when interviewing with other firms. I struggled through the interview because the case itself was different than what I had expected -- numbers that would normally be given to you (revenue, costumer attrition, product segments, etc.) in a case interview you had to calculate yourself.

However, the interviewer himself remained unhelpful, unresponsive, and borderline surly throughout the process. His phone buzzed at least 3 times throughout the interview, and he actually would stop talking to look at his phone -- very unprofessional. He also made no attempts to 'get to know me' even at a perfunctory level. I have interviewed with many firms this year, and this was perhaps my least favorite experience.

Interview Questions
    • The case itself was numerical -- be ready to be on your toes.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dean & Company.

After an on-campus 1R interview (supposed to be 30 minutes but was only 20 due to interviewer delay), I was called the same night and invited to 2 back-to-back 2R interviews the following day. 1R was just a case - it was all we had time for, and I was surprised to be called back for 2R. 2R interviews were fit (why consulting, why Dean, basic stuff) + case. Cases were representative of Dean and the interviewers' clients - lots of telecom and math. I connected with 2/3 interviewers and had a pleasant experience, but one interviewer seemed quite unhappy to be there (and doing 2 full days of back-to-back 30-45 minute interviews).

Interview Questions
    • (as part of a larger case) how much would it cost to rent office space for the client?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dean & Company.

I applied through my school's recruiting website, so the interview happened on campus. It was 30 minutes long. The interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume then we did a short case study. The case was very standard and easy to get through. I got the feeling that whether or not I would get a second round depended on whether the interviewer liked me. My interviewer didn't seem very interested in my responses, and needless to say, I didn't get the second round interview.

The next day, I got an email informing me I would not be invited back, but they would be happy to set up a time for a feedback phone call. We set up a time, but no one called me until an hour later. It was rather rude.

Interview Questions
    • You have a strong life sciences background. Why are you interested in consulting?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dean & Company.

Applied for a position on the company website and was contacted by their recruiting department. Interview process involved a resume interview and a series of case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Focus on case interviews with lots of math/problem solving. Cases across various industries - banking, cell phones, insurance, shipping.   Answer Question

Unknown Interview

Typical case interview: the interviewer seems to be an inexperienced consultant, couldn't answer the question to the point, which misleads your answer to the question. It's a like-or-not-like situation. If the interviewer likes you, you'll be fine.