Dean & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Strategy Associate Interview

Strategy Associate
Vienna, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Dean & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details – Met with 3 people. One analyst, VP, and President.

Interview was fairly straight-forward. No behavioral or fit questions. Heavy emphasis on quantitative analysis. Best to reference case study guides beforehand.

case study # 1:
company: Telecomm company, analyze call-center costs & efficiency
analyze variable versus fixed costs

case study #2:
company: retail company
Improve revenue: analyze volume, price, & product

Overall pleasant experience. Very nice people.

Best Advice to future interviewees: Review Wharton consulting casebook and you should be fine.

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Dean & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – This was an on-campus interview. When I entered the room, the interviewer had me fill out a form about my contact information and availability. Then she went right into the case interview. The question had to do with a company that has many businesses, and they were thinking about acquiring a calling card business. I was given information about costs, and I had to answer the question, "What should they do?" The interviewer was good at answering my questions about the case. I didn't do too well, so I was not called back for a second round interview.

Interview Question – What should the company do with the calling card business?   View Answer

Washington, DC

Interview Details – It was an on campus interview, and it was a 30 min interview consisting of the usual case interview followed by the usual five minute allotment for questions. Upon sitting down, there were no pleasantries and the interviewer just asked the case question, which was "How much should Sprint pay to carry the iPhone?" I fared rather poorly and at the 25 minute mark he started somewhat discretely looking at the next candidates resume in the pile then he just interrupted me and asked if I had any questions. Though I did terribly, when I asked for a couple pointers for how I could do better in a future interview, he did take a few minutes to give me some tips.

Interview Question – How much should Sprint pay to carry the iPhone?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Dean & Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very conversational. The case was straight forward and the interviewer did a good job of answering my questions during the experience. The question the interviewer posed dealt with a laboratory services company which picked up samples of blood from various cities (big and small), shipped them to Atlanta, and then returned them the following day along with the test results. We were asked to identify areas where we could cut costs during the collection and shipping of samples. Two of my roommates had the same interview and same question, and we seemed to have identical experiences and solutions. I felt that I was screened from the remainder of the interview process because of my test scores (SAT, ACT).

Interview Question – The question the interviewer posed dealt with a laboratory services company which picked up samples of blood from various cities (big and small), shipped them to Atlanta, and then returned them the following day along with the test results. We were asked to identify areas where we could cut costs during the collection and shipping of samples.   View Answer

Worked for Dean & Company? Contribute to the Community!