Deb Shops

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Altoona, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Deb Shops in June 2011.

Interview Details – Turned in an application, received a quick and polite phone call requesting an interview. Never was it expressed that this would be a group interview, which I consider extremely unprofessional. As an adult, with considerable retail experience, I arrived on time, dressed professionally, with a professional resume, ready to be interviewed. Assistant manager was conducting "interviews", and was late in beginning. We (I and the other 5-6 candidates) were rounded up, and very haphazardly (and with exceedingly poor grammar and no professionalism) told exactly what this interview would entail. It would begin with several "practical application" tests of our ability to match clothing, construct fashionable outfits, and recommend up-sale items like accessories. We were asked questions like, "I want this silver sequin top, but I have nothing to wear with it, what can you recommend?" Then each response was critiqued based on its "accuracy" rather than your ability to provide any kind of customer service. Managerial responses included, "Uh, that isn't formal enough for this top" and "Thats so plain. Surely you could find something better". Also, note that not ONE person (not a fellow candidate or any of the employees present including the one conducting the interviews) was dressed at all like a respectable adult. They all looked like teenagers without the sense to be the least bit modest. (Note: Short denim shorts, and flip flops are not appropriate for an interview no matter your role). When asked if I was interested in a second interview after this charade, I quickly stated my refusal and my disgust by saying, "This place is a joke, and unlike you I am an experienced professional. So, no." and quickly left.

Reason for Declining – See above description.

Langhorne, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Deb Shops in June 2011.

Interview Details – I went into the store to fill-out an application. They called me the next day for an interview and I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – What skill/quality can you offer us that no one else can?   View Answer

Roseville, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Deb Shops in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went throughout the mall asking what stores were hiring. Deb was and I applied in the store that day. It was easy considering I had no prior employment history. Three days later I was called back for an interview. Two days after the call was the interview. It was one on one with the manager. Took about 25 minutes. The mood was very friendly and comfortable. 5 days after the interview I was called back and offered a position.

Interview Question – -What company has the best customer service?
-What are 3 spring trends?
-How would you handle a shoplifter?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for sales associates. Minimum wage.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

York, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Deb Shops in October 2013.

Interview Details – I walked around my mall asking if places were hiring Deb Shops said they weren't at the time but I submitted an email anyway. A few days later I got a call back to set up an interview date. My interview was pretty simple basic questions were asked. Such as why I wanted to work for Deb shops, what I could bring to them, where I see myself in five years, and so on. I got a call back the same day saying I got the job which I accepted.

Interview Question – I think the hardest question for me was where I see myself in five years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really were no negotiations.

Edwardsville, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Deb Shops in July 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was fine, but I soon found out it was all a lie.

Interview Question – what are 3 accessories you MUST have? I was never asked that before lol   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one, this compnay is often short staffed so they hire who ever walks in and asks for an application.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deb Shops.

Interview Details – Get app and turn it in to the Store Manager. If you meet what they're looking for, they'll call you.

When you come in for the interview, you'll be told ahead of time if it's 1:1 or a group.

Basic questions: Why do you want to work for Deb? What would you do if you saw someone stealing? How do you deal with difficult customers? Basic Retail questions.

If you pass through that, you'll take the Orion. If you pass that, the store gets an email saying if you passed/failed. If you pass, they call your references. If they say good things, you get hired!

Interview Question – The only question that usually trips people up is "What company has the best customer service?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – For sales, non-negotiable. For management, they'll act like they're doing you a favor by giving you X when you asked for X+$3/hr.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Deb Shops.

Interview Details – Went in person to apply. Immediately scheduled an interview for a couple days in advance. Casual interview, personality questions. Comfortable area, felt comfortable with staff. Went over policies, told I would be contacted later. Contacted and still unsure if I have position.

Interview Question – Name top 3 trends of the summer.   Answer Question

Aurora, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Deb Shops in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is super easy. They dont train you they just throw you into everything and you learn as you go.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Martinsburg, WV

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Deb Shops in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very easy, a few simplle questions. Be honest and be yourself. Smile and enjoy their time for the interview!

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Altoona, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deb Shops in July 2011.

Interview Details – Single interview by store Gen. Manager unless one would take the initiative to move up in management, then one would be interviewed again by the District Manager; or unless one would be interviewed during a time of mass hiring of new associates, then one would be interviewed by the DM as well as the GM.

There is a lot to take in because Deb Shops expects its employees to maintain a variety of retail skills. This is most certainly a job to learn from!

Interview Question – Why would having various skills or experience help you attain this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a solid "You will make min. wage and will attain a very fair amount of hours."

Worked for Deb Shops? Contribute to the Community!