Debenhams

Relevance Date Difficulty

Loss Prevention Assistant Interview

Loss Prevention Assistant
Uxbridge, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Debenhams in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and few days later had a telephone interview which was detailed.

Busy place and kept waiting by the interviewer for half and hour.

Interview was with department manager and deputy where i was asked mostly competency based questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you managed your workload during a very busy period   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Debenhams in September 2011.

Interview Details – There were four stages: the online form submission, the telephone interview, the group interview and the individual interview. The form was very tedious and long to fill in but the interviews were quite relaxed.

Interview Question – The interview questions were quite basic; they just asked how you would sell a certain item or talk to a customer in a difficult situation. The most difficult question on the online form was probably 'how would you build a rapport with a team member?'.   View Answer

Lincoln, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Debenhams in October 2013.

Interview Details – After applying for a Christmas temp job, which was suppose to last for only two-three months, I was first invited for a telephone interview. After that interview, I was rung back to be invited to a face to face interview. They did not tell me that it was going to be a group interview so when I got there I was shocked and uncomfortable. It turned out to be a really nice experience, though. They took the group of 12 people into their meeting room and would first talk about what to expect. They lay products on the table and we each had to pick one. We then got five minutes to write a sales pitch which we then had to perform in the room as though you were selling it to the people there. The two people giving the interview would take notes of how you did. They then asked the group to work in two's and we were given questions about the company and what to expect from working there. Questions such as "who would you expect to shop here?", "Who are our biggest competition on the high street?", "what means of shopping do we offer?". You would also get scenarios which you would have to act out. For instance, you'd get a customer with a complaint about a shirt with a rip in it, how do you respond? After this, we were all asked to wait in the staff restaurant and one by one we were called in for a one on one interview. After that interview, which should last only 10 minutes, you get to go home. You should then hear from them within a week, but I was rung that same evening to tell me I got the job. This is not it, though. You first get a introduction in which they will show you around in the store, give you yet another interview with random questions which is purely for your benefit because they will give you the right answer if you can not answer it yourself. A playful way of giving information I'm guessing. You will watch a video about health and safety, answer questions about that as well. You will watch a video about in store theft and again you will be asked questions about what you just saw. How to recognize a thief (very stereotypical) and what to do if you witness theft. You will be giving a list of numbers which include Phone numbers, in store extension numbers, security codes, your til and employee number and then you will be handed over to your future manager who will give you a tour at your future department. It was all very well taken care of, but you will be nervous to begin with, to be stuffed in a room with 12 people you're competing against is not the best thing in the world.

Interview Question – All questions are to be expected because it's all about the store, however, they will ask you questions you can't actually answer like "How much money do we lose monthly on theft?" "What is the percentage of your colleagues stealing?" and "What did Debenhams earn last year?" Don't worry, they don't expect you to know, in fact, if you do know the answers, like I did, they will look at you suspicious!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The only negotiation would be if you have kids so you can start later or finish earlier to be there for your kids. You can not negotiate your wage and even though they say you can negotiate your hours, I've seen MANY people get fired because of it because they need you to be extremely flexible.

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Basingstoke, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Debenhams in March 2014.

Interview Details – Filled in application form online, received a phone call five days later inviting me to a telephone interview. Very relaxed

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Debenhams.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application answering questions such as why Debenhams, why this role, what to expect from this role etc. Then received a phonecall for a telephone interview, which was very relaxed was asked:
- what do you think a sales advisor role entails?
- why do you want to work for Debenhams?
- what do you see as being good custoemr services?
- what qualities can you bring to the store?
- do you have any relevant experience?

Was told there and then that I had passed the telephone interview and was invited into the store for a group assessment and one on one interview, which again was very relaxed and positive. In the group exercise, we were asked to go around the room and talk about our expereinces and why we would like to work for Debenhams and to talk about ourselves.

In the one to one interview, it was quite similar to the telephone interview, ie. why Debenhams etc. Overall it was a very relaxed interview process.

Interview Question – Was asked a situational question in my telephone interview about a colleague taking something from the store and how I would react.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Christmas Temp Interview

Christmas Temp
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Debenhams in October 2013.

Interview Details – Basic group interview, your name, experience and things like that. dont worry at christmas their in need of employees so they will basically hire 90 percent of the people at the group interview. then its a one on one interview which asks for availability and simple q's like tell about yourself.

Interview Question – no difficult questions. pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Sales Advisor
Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Debenhams in November 2013.

Interview Details – Brilliant, I love the way it was done, phone interview then group and 1v1 interview. Very laid back and casual.

Interview Question – What could you personally bring to the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Debenhams Sales Manager Interview

Debenhams Sales Manager
Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Debenhams in December 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed by Store Manager and Deputy Manager. Very welcoming, professional and thorough. Store Manager asked questions and Deputy took notes. All the questions were relative and I didn't find them overly difficult to answer as I had appropriate experience. I only had one interview.

Interview Question – I was asked how I managed a difficult situation while managing people. How did I approach it, handle it and what was the outcome. This I really had to think about.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate a better wage than offered via telephone conversation. I didn't mind pushing for it at the time cause I was in full time employment anyway. The company I was with was offering me more money to stay with them so when I revealed this I think it what helped me get the better deal off my new employer.

Xmas Temp Sales Advisor Interview

Xmas Temp Sales Advisor
Wigan, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Debenhams in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call the next day saying I'd been successful and got a telephone interview the following day. Telephone interview (lasted about 15 mins) was successful so was asked to attend the Recruitment Event the next day. There were 6 of us as 2 didn't turn up. We started with an ice breaker where we spent 5 mins getting to know the person next to us and feeding back to the group. Next we worked in pairs to match brands with their corresponding customer profiles and worked as a group of 3 to make a poster on services Debenhams provide, their competitors and why Debenhams stand out from the crowd on the high street. We then had our 1:1 interviews where we were asked about 10-15 questions. Nothing too surprising here for a retail position. Quite a vigorous process all in all for a Xmas job but not as nerve-racking as I thought it would be. Everyone was really nice so it was easy to be myself.

Interview Question – What do you plan to do in the New Year when the contract is up?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, have induction next Saturday.

Christmas Temp Sales Assistant Interview

Christmas Temp Sales Assistant

I applied online - interviewed at Debenhams in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had to fill out online application form, giving answers to variety of questions based on certain situations,
week later got phone call for phone interview. When have you given great customer service,
services Debenhams offer, tell me about debenhams etc. I found out ther and then if I passed.
I was then booked in for interview at wasall a week later for Christmas temp sales assistant. At interview we had to pair up then find out things about each other then tell about other person to rest of group. Then we had write what things make good sales assistant and tell to rest of group. Then we was put in pairs for different departments of debenhams with piece of paper and pen and write what was wrong with department and how you can make changes. After back as group the manger of store came in and we each had to tell him what we wrote. Very strange.
In one on one interview everything I said the woman just wrote something different. Most questions went along the lines.Compared to M&S and next xustomer service how can debenhams improve theirs. How would ypu rate Debenhams customer service etc. It was like they looking for free advice. Really bad and unprofessional. I received email week later saying I didnt have ability to do the job. BASED on what, all questions were nothing to do with how or why I would be good for store. The manager is one without yhe ability. I have worked for debenhams before in another area and had no problems. Its a joke

Interview Question – All questions were aimed at how debenhams can improve their customer service like mystery shopper. Did manager win his job in raffle.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Debenhams

Worked for Debenhams? Contribute to the Community!