Debenhams

Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.6

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Debenhams.

I applied online, with minimum hassle, the process was similar to most other basic ones. There were a few questions to answer, for me, these were:
    "How would you describe the perfect shopping and customer service experience?"
    "Describe a difficult problem you had to solve. What did you consider and do to ensure that the problem was resolved?"
    "Describe and occasion when you have worked as part of a team and where you achieved a positive outcome. What was the key to your success?"
    "Please list any skills which are relevant to the role you have applied for."
    "If your application were successful, describe the elements of customer service you would deliver."

After a couple of days I received a phone call asking me for a telephone interview, the interview was easily arranged for the next day with no problem. I was the called at the time my call was scheduled for, the interview started with a few questions just asking about my right to work in the UK etc. Then the interviewer asked me a few similar questions to the ones on the application form, mainly asking me about what I thought the job would involve, what good customer service is etc. At the end I was told I was successful and would be invited to an in store recruitment day, however I could not make this day and the woman told me she would call me back with a rearranged date within the next few days.

However, I didn't get a call back for over a week and I was not called until I emailed Debenhams myself, funnily enough I received a call a few minutes after sending the email offering me a new date for an in store interview.

The day of the interview I turned up looking smart and reported to the desk where I was told to go to. A lady then took my to the offices, where I had my interview. The interview was very straight forward and I was asked very similar questions to the one in my telephone interview, so nothing shocked me too much. The lady was very nice and I just stayed calm, polite and happy! Having finished the interview I was shown out of the shop and I received a call about 20 minutes later telling me I had been offered the job!

Interview Questions
    • Where have you received excellent customer service and where have you received poor customer service?   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Debenhams in October 2014.

In the first instance I applied using the online application system. The system was very straightforward however do expect to spend 30 minutes + on the Application requires you to answer (in the best detail possible) the following Five questions:

- If you were a sales adviser with us, how would our customers know that you are focused on their individual shopping experience?
    - As a Sales Adviser, what may cause your priorities to change and how would you react?
    - What qualities are you proud of and how will they impact on customers and colleagues?
    - If successful in joining our team, how will you become an expert at what you do?
    - If you were a Sales Adviser, what opportunities could you identify to offer additional sales or services to our customers?

For each of these Questions I wrote around two paragraphs answering as honestly as I could! I tried not to 'sugar coat' my answers too much!I didn't want to make it seem like I was 'begging' for the job!

After you've filled out the rest of the application with all your details ensure you have gone back to the application manager page and have completed the 'qualifications' section as Its very easy to miss!

Once you submit your application and if it meets requirements HR or a member of the store staff you're applying to will contact you to arrange a short telephone interview. In my case I was called on a Friday to arrange a Telephone interview for the following Wednesday. On the days leading up to Wednesday I was using google constantly. Looking for answers for any worries I had and I'm guessing some of you reading this may be the same! One thing I cant emphasise enough is don't panic! Don't get me wrong some light research such as 'Debenhams Phone Interview Questions' etc does help but don't loose sleep over it! The Telephone interview is very relaxed and the Lady I had on the phone was wonderful!

After some formalities ie; Criminal convictions, School leaving age etc. Some of the questions I had included:

- Why did you apply for the role?
    - When are you available to work?
    - What do you think the job of a Sales Advisor entails?
    - Why do you want to work for Debenhams?
    - What do you see as being good customer service and how would you provide it to customers?

After answering these questions I was put on hold and about 5 minutes later I was told 'Congratulations, you obviously know allot about the role and what it entails so we would like to invite you to a recruitment day'. By this point I was rather happy and accepted the offer to goto the recruitment day in store two days later.

WHAT TO WEAR FOR MEN TO THE INTERVIEW
    - Ironed Smart Shirt
    - Formal/Suit Trousers (Black, Dark Blue, Grey)
    - Tie (Opitional)
    - Coordinated shoes (Brown w. Blue, Black w. Black, Grey w. Black)
    - 'Interesting' Socks (Patterns, colours etc)
    - Aftershave (Preferred fresh scent)

WHAT TO WEAR FOR WOMEN TO THE INTERVIEW
    - Ironed Smart Blouse
    - Formal Skirt (Knee length) or Trousers (Black, Dark blue, Grey)
    - Coordinated shoes
    - Tights (optional)
    - Perfume (Preferred fresh scent)

Shortly after Arrived at the store another lovely Supervisor took us all up the escalators and to the back of house. We were all sat around a table and the Supervisors explained the fire evacuation plan before giving us the opportunity to stand up and introduces ourselves. I think an important thing to remember is confidence is key! Try and make people laugh (Preferably not cry ;-) ). This will give you good marks! Shortly after introductions,an Ice breaker activity. This lasted for about 20 minutes.

After all that lot you're sent out to the shop floor to find an object to sell to the group. I personally chose a pair of leather gloves. In my sales pitch I blundered on along the lines of 'its getting colder, which means its an essential accessory to any wardrobe! Due to the brown tanning of my item, they will go with any style and provide any age group with an equal amount of warmth and durability that everyone looks for'...Oh yes I did go OTT!

Pitches completed we then got called into a separate room by a supervisor (one to one) and were asked questions allot like the phone interview but into more depth. Allot more thinking 'power' is needed however its not something you can prepare yourself for! Make sure you look into main competitors (House of Fraser etc.) so you can compare services etc. Be prepared to get you knowledge tested on things like good/bad customer service experiences, Debenhams Knowledge, How technology has aided sales etc.

After the interview was concluded I was told that they'll be in contact after 10 days (weather successful or not) and to have a safe Journey home. I signed out and left feeling rather elated that it went well! A week later I got a call from a supervisor offering me the job and a chance to 'meet the manager' which is coming up soon! I think its fair to say that I can't wait to crack on!

Interview Questions
    • I'd say the most difficult Question for me was what to wear to the day! ;-) I found it very difficult to find information so hopefully my & my friends 'to wear' guide helps!   Answer Question

Visual Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Debenhams in September 2014.

To begin with I applied online to Debenhams, this process was fairly easy with some questions that required lengthy answers.
    After this I was phoned to have a telephone interview, this lasted about twenty minutes where I was asked basic information such as availability and criminal convictions. Then I was asked questions that required more in depth answers. Why do you want to work for Debenhams? What does the role entail? How would you deliver good customer service? What are good qualities of a team player?
    After this I was put on hold and then told that I had passed the telephone interview and that I would be attending the assessment centre the next day.
    The assessment centre began with seven applicants sitting in a room together. We were given an ice breaker on 'delighting the customer' during this we said what made up good customer service and what was really bad for customers. After this I was sent out onto the shop floor to find things that were really good about the store, and things that weren't good about the store and how I would improve the store. Then I went back into the group and gave feedback.
    After this we were taken off by the store managers to do our one-to-one interview. Again I was asked the basic questions such as availability and criminal convictions. Then I was asked in depth questions, quite similar to those asked on the telephone interview. Along with questions about a time the applicant received good and bad customer service. Who the main competitors for Debenhams are.
    I was contacted 5 days after the assessment centre and offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think that Debenhams is better than its competitors?   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Debenhams in September 2014.

Applied online for a christmas temps job, waited around a week then was contacted for a telephone interview. Asked the usual questions, why do you want to work for Debenhams, What do you think the role entails, what can you offer, what is good customer service, ect. Then was offered to come to a group interview - fun experience! There was 9 of us and we were split into 3's and asked to introduce the other person, then asked to did group activities then presented our thoughts. Then given a individual task to go onto the shop floor and find positives and negatives. Then individual interview asked pretty much the same questions asked in the other stages and questions of you personally like your interests.

Stockroom Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Debenhams in September 2014.

phone interview after 2 days submission of my application online and 1:1 interview 3 days after my phone interview.phone interview was easy and expected
    why u want to join Debenhams
    what stockroom assistant job role applied and do I have experience before?
    what qualities will I bring to debenhams

Graduate Buyer's Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren Street, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren Street, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Debenhams in July 2014.

Filled out an online form through their website which I must say was very straight forward and user friendly. Later I received an email asking me to come in for an interview and prepare a SWOT analysis of their footwear products to present in the meeting. I researched the brand inside out to prepare myself for the interview and headed to their stores to get a sense of their customers and to take a closer look at their products. Having let the receptionist know I was here for an interview, I was asked to wait in the lobby area for the Head Buyer to come down to collect me. I waited over 20 minutes which was not really professional or respectful at all. I met two ladies, one a Head Buyer at Debenhams and the other ..... still not sure to this day. But they both took me into a small meeting room and I was interrogated from start to finish. The interview lasted about half an hour to fourty minutes. I was asked endless amount of questions. Unfortunately, I came across really nervous because I really didn't expect two people in the interview and in all honesty, the Head Buyer was arrogant. It didn't seem like she was interested in anything I had to say. I knew I hadn't got the position after one minute of conversation with her. On top of that, I was asked not to present the SWOT I created, inside they wanted to take a copy away. I only devised brief points because I was expected to present it, anyhow we went through it together and at least she said it was very good. After a week or two, I heard back saying I didn't get the position and was informed that I could call to receive feedback from the interview. I thought this was very good of them, especially because not many company's offer to do this, and it helps you to really understand how you are perceived and how to prepare for next time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you managed a deadline and discovered it had changed.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Debenhams in March 2014.

Filled in application form online, received a phone call five days later inviting me to a telephone interview. Very relaxed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Debenhams.

Submitted an online application answering questions such as why Debenhams, why this role, what to expect from this role etc. Then received a phonecall for a telephone interview, which was very relaxed was asked:
    - what do you think a sales advisor role entails?
    - why do you want to work for Debenhams?
    - what do you see as being good custoemr services?
    - what qualities can you bring to the store?
    - do you have any relevant experience?

Was told there and then that I had passed the telephone interview and was invited into the store for a group assessment and one on one interview, which again was very relaxed and positive. In the group exercise, we were asked to go around the room and talk about our expereinces and why we would like to work for Debenhams and to talk about ourselves.

In the one to one interview, it was quite similar to the telephone interview, ie. why Debenhams etc. Overall it was a very relaxed interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a situational question in my telephone interview about a colleague taking something from the store and how I would react.   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Debenhams in November 2013.

Brilliant, I love the way it was done, phone interview then group and 1v1 interview. Very laid back and casual.

There was none.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Debenhams in October 2013.

After applying for a Christmas temp job, which was suppose to last for only two-three months, I was first invited for a telephone interview. After that interview, I was rung back to be invited to a face to face interview. They did not tell me that it was going to be a group interview so when I got there I was shocked and uncomfortable. It turned out to be a really nice experience, though. They took the group of 12 people into their meeting room and would first talk about what to expect. They lay products on the table and we each had to pick one. We then got five minutes to write a sales pitch which we then had to perform in the room as though you were selling it to the people there. The two people giving the interview would take notes of how you did. They then asked the group to work in two's and we were given questions about the company and what to expect from working there. Questions such as "who would you expect to shop here?", "Who are our biggest competition on the high street?", "what means of shopping do we offer?". You would also get scenarios which you would have to act out. For instance, you'd get a customer with a complaint about a shirt with a rip in it, how do you respond? After this, we were all asked to wait in the staff restaurant and one by one we were called in for a one on one interview. After that interview, which should last only 10 minutes, you get to go home. You should then hear from them within a week, but I was rung that same evening to tell me I got the job. This is not it, though. You first get a introduction in which they will show you around in the store, give you yet another interview with random questions which is purely for your benefit because they will give you the right answer if you can not answer it yourself. A playful way of giving information I'm guessing. You will watch a video about health and safety, answer questions about that as well. You will watch a video about in store theft and again you will be asked questions about what you just saw. How to recognize a thief (very stereotypical) and what to do if you witness theft. You will be giving a list of numbers which include Phone numbers, in store extension numbers, security codes, your til and employee number and then you will be handed over to your future manager who will give you a tour at your future department. It was all very well taken care of, but you will be nervous to begin with, to be stuffed in a room with 12 people you're competing against is not the best thing in the world.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are to be expected because it's all about the store, however, they will ask you questions you can't actually answer like "How much money do we lose monthly on theft?" "What is the percentage of your colleagues stealing?" and "What did Debenhams earn last year?" Don't worry, they don't expect you to know, in fact, if you do know the answers, like I did, they will look at you suspicious!   Answer Question
    The only negotiation would be if you have kids so you can start later or finish earlier to be there for your kids. You can not negotiate your wage and even though they say you can negotiate your hours, I've seen MANY people get fired because of it because they need you to be extremely flexible.