Defender Direct

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

1.9

Security Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Defender Direct.

I applies online and was reached about a week later via telephone. The recruiter on the phone set me up with an interview at the location I was interested in. The interview was with the branch manager and was overall pretty basic.

Interview Questions
    • What's an example of an issue that you faced in the workplace and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Defender Direct.

Initial call was from the Recruiter in the morning. He asked about my sales background, why I am interested in Defender and what kind of money was I looking to make. After I answered his questions he went right into all the benefits of working for the company for about 10 minutes. He asked if I had any questions. Mine were: how does training work, how are we paid and can I call a customer back to follow up if I don't get the sale on initial call. His answers: I will put in parenthesis what actually came true as there were some considerable differences. PAY: you are paid minimum wage for training for the whole week you are in Indy M-F (actual: only for 2 days). You also get a bonus for completion of between $400-450 (actual: $325). All meals are covered the whole week and hotel room is paid for (actual: diners every night are not covered). Pay is 100% commission and paid weekly (true). He would not answer what you make per sale but said starting agents earn around 50-65k first year (actual: 30k avg.) Final question he did not answer but obviously knew the truth; one shot to make the sale. After I had no more questions he said he thinks this might be a good fit and will pass my info to an HR manager. Recruiter was nice and friendly, I did feel a bit uncomfortable with the sales pitch he had.
    Later that day I got the call from an HR person. Just standard HR stuff verifying all my info. They said the next step will be for a call center manager to call you if hey want to bring you in for an interview. HR person was very nice and good sense of humor.
    Next day I got a call from a call center manager. They asked basically the same questions as above. My only question was about follow up with potential customers. They did a very good job of explaining no follow up but also to wait for the corp training and it will be easier to understand. We set an interview at the call center for the next day. The interview went well. Decent looking office, smelled funky though. Relaxed interview with standard questions. The manager had a personality that really made you feel comfortable. At the end they said this looks like a good fit and we will call you to set up training. Definitely had the feeling when I left that I got the job.
    The manager called the next day to offer the position, I accepted and agreed to travel to Indy for training Monday of the next week.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation opportunity at all

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Fill out online application, hiring manager will contact you. Department supervisor or manager will interview you. Make sure to have a lot of questions and be outgoing and friendly. Once hired, you will need to have a background and drug test. On the first day of work, you will attend "Culture Day", great event that gives you a road-map of the company and the culture.

Interview Questions
    • In reality I wasn't asked anything out of the extraordinary.   Answer Question

Field Services Interview

I was referred to Defender by a friend. I applied for the position and had a few interviews with various managers and Directors before being offered a position. the porcess took about 3 weeks.

Sales Technician Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Defender Direct.

I was called by a recruiter on Friday 6/6/2014. She was pleasant and very informative about the position. I enjoyed the exchange which made me interested in the position more. She emailed me a link to the application and told me she will pass my app to the regional director. I received a call from the regional director on Tuesday 6/10... Another positive phone call he reinforced the company process. He sent another version of a application that I had to submit. The RD scheduled an interview for the next day... Only thing was the location I applied for had changed. I interviewed with the manager which was another solid exchange. He focused on the culture of the company more than anything. The manager ended the interview on a positive note with high praise. He told me he will pass my resume to the RD and will possible call back in a couple days for a second interview. I was called my RD the next day 6/12 And regretfully informed me that they decided on another applicant. Pretty fast decision process. After the conversation, the RD emailed me a performance survey asking me to fill it out and submit.

Sales Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Defender Direct in June 2014.

Sent in resume from Ad on Craigslist.org last Monday. Received phone call from the recruiter (Josh) from the home office in Indianapolis the next day. Short phone interview. He asked me about my recent jobs, and sales experience. Then, Josh sent me the on line application and back round form. Josh called back on that Tuesday to set up interview for Wednesday. Went to interview with the manager. I had done research on Defender Direct, as well as reading reviews on Glassdoor. I wanted to have as much information before the interview.

During the interview, I had a list of questions ready. I had read Sales Technicians work very long days. Every day, all Sales Technician are required to report to the office at 6:45AM. The manager explained the daily aspects of the job, as well as the required "on call until 3:00PM" rule. This basically means even if you are working a job in the morning, unless you have already been assigned another job that day, you are on "reserve" until 3:00PM. So, let's say you are installing a job which begins at 9:00AM. Each installation job can take between 3-4 hours. If you are done by 12:00PM, you are then "on call" until 3:00PM. But here's the real kicker......the manager showed me a map of Florida. That particular office covers a large portion of central and northern Florida. So, you could be working a job in the morning in Inverness, FL. Then, have to drive all the way to Lake City for an evening installation. Might not be done until 11:00PM or later. If you have a long drive back home, might only get 3-4 hours of sleep. Then, do the same thing the next day.
    The manager told me he put 55,000 miles on his car the first year. Yes, the company does pay .44 cents a mile. But the wear and tear on a car, would take its toll. Not to mention being so tired, after a 18-19 hour work day.

The manager told me as a Sales Technician, your job is to "upsell". To "encourage" the customer to pay for more sensors, cameras, etc.....There is a sales quota to meet each month.

At the end of the interview, the manager told me the next step would be to meet with the Regional Manager. Two days ago, I contacted the manager to find out if I was still a candidate. He told me 6 other candidates had been interviewed. I have not heard back from anyone. I have to assume they hired other candidates. Despite the long hours, this would have been a good job since I like working independently. My back round is in customer service, sales and retail management. I am disappointed I was not selected for the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The interesting aspect of this interview was, I asked most of the questions. The manager was pleasant and answered my questions without hesitation.   Answer Question

Installation & Sales Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Defender Direct.

I applied on Monday and received a phone call on Thursday. The recruiter told me a few things about the position and asked if I would be free soon for an interview with the Branch Manager. We set up a time for Friday, the next day, and he answered a few more questions about the job and company. He told me to dress sharp and bring my resume.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any tough questions in the phone interview. The interview with the Branch Manager was also very casual and informational. He invited me out the next morning to meet the team.   View Answer

Id Rather Not Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Defender Direct.

I had a phone screen with a recruiter with some basic questions. A few days later, I sat down with my immediate supervisor and his supervisor. The entire interview was basically me listening to them describe the position. I answered a few softball questions and the entire interview was over after about 30 minutes. I received an offer the next day.

Negotiated an extra $1000 annually

Sales Representative Interview

Very deceitful. Recruiter made promises that were straight up lies. No direct answers to any question I asked. Either vague deflection or I dont know. Example- ok im on the phone with a potential cust and they want to think about it, can I call them back to follow up? Answer- im not sure you will have to talk to your manager. He knew darn well the whole sales model is one time shot only. You will not be able to use anything he says for planning purposes. After I made a budget and a plan for the week of training based on what recruiter said, ended up costing me an additional $200 on top of only receiving $375 new hire bonus when promised "$450-$500". Also do not ask ANY questions about the actual details of the job. By design they will not be honest with you. Main goal is to get you in the door and with self help hiss boom raa they wil try and l convert you to a deceitful lier as well.

Interview Questions
    • None by design. They are not looking to challenge you at all...all positive facade to entice.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate. When I received the formal offer in writing, it did not match what was promised during initial interviews. Called HR director in what was probably the most cold and awkward call ever, to ask about the discrepancies. Director just said no. The offer I forwarded is what our standard offer is.

Lead Technician Interview

Did a phone interview. Then had the installation manager call me and schedule me for an interview. He called and changed it a few times. I was guaranteed to make a lot of money and minimal selling.