Delhaize America Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2014
Updated May 14, 2014

International Graduate Trainee Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Delhaize America.

They started out making you get recommendations from your facebook friends. If you had enough and they liked your resume, then you moved on to the next phase. The next phase was an online abstract reasoning test. When you scored above average on that, you moved to the online personality test. If you were selected to move on from this stage (18 people were), then that meant you'd made it to the final round of interviews in person. So you got through this entire process without talking to anyone from the company or having a phone interview.

The final interview was a 3 day fiasco where they wined and dined you (very well) and then interviewed you for an entire day. The interviews were terribly awkward because you were interviewing with another candidate and 2 interviewers at the same time. It was unclear how you were supposed to handle the situation because you are competing for 4 spots out of 18, yet you need to work together with this other candidate.

When asked to tell about myself by the director in one of my interviews, he told me that I didn't have any 'humility' which is one of the companies 'values'. This was very insulting to me because the whole point of an interview is to let the company know how you can contribute to them.

Overall, it seemed like they were looking for someone who would jump for them when they said jump and it was a bad experience.

Interview Questions
    • What was the last play you saw?
      Tell me something I don't know about the other candidate that you are interviewing with.
      Tell me about a time you failed.
      How do you match our core values?
        Answer Question

Manager Interview

This was a panel interview. the process lasted about 1 hour.

n/A

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Delhaize America in August 2013.

I met with local development manager who spent a lot of time asking about my experience in the grocery business and ability to work a flexible schedule (read nights and weekends). I was also vetted by the local area director and was able to meet with a current store manager to get a sense of the job.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions as to why I left my previous employer and trying to be honest but not making me look as if I did anything wrong.   Answer Question
    They look a lot to your past pay history so if you are looking for more than you are used to making you better have a compelling story

Bindery Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salisbury, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Delhaize America in August 2013.

I had to get hired through a temp agency. I then went to the headquarters for a group introduction to the company. We then had ID cards made and filled out necessary paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was very difficult. Straight forward in there expectations.   Answer Question

Pricing and Promotion Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salisbury, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Delhaize America in February 2012.

I received a call from a recruiter who screened me by asking a few questions about my resume and told me he'd review the information and call me back. He called me back the next day and informed me that I'd been selected for an interview. Then he prepped me fore my interview by going over key points of my resume and advising the best ways to convey my skills and experience in order to cater to the position. I went in for the interview a week later, and was interviewed by a panel of 3 managers. 1 kept notes via laptop, 1 kept time more than he really asked questions, and the other asked most of the questions.

Interview Questions
    • In regard to a previous internship, were you ever involved in any strategic planning?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salisbury, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Delhaize America in August 2011.

Applied online and spoke with a Delhaize company recruiter. Very nice person. Responses were never quick however. This person set up a phone interview with members of the hiring team. These team members were polite and personable. Seemed like it would be a good team to work with. The phone interview was very very difficult however. They asked extremely open ended questions and seemed like they expected a God to be working there. I think its probably a pretty good place to work, but just from the interview process I think if you work there you'll have more than your fair share of work to do. Seems like you may be pulling your hair out trying to accomplish all they expect you to accomplish. Good Luck.

Interview Questions
    • A program on Unix System A reads from a SAN B and writes to SAN C. It augments the file it receives from SAN B before writing to SAN C. Usually this process takes only a few seconds, however you get a call from a user who reports that her files are taking much longer (perhaps a minute) to show up on SAN C. What are some possible things that you could look at to determine the problem, or what issues might exist?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarborough, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarborough, ME

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Delhaize America in April 2009.

Comfortable and informal

They negotiated.

Marketing Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Delhaize America in September 2010.

The interview was less than 2 hours; with two staff members at the corporate office. Questions were very personality-based; they were more focused on "fit". HR will check your references and asks brief "interview" questions of your references (so be prepared for that).

Interview Questions
    You should negotiate, and don't accept any less than what you want.