Dell

Updated Aug 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dell in October 2010.

Interview Details – Several months to get from start to finish. First did a pre-screening interview which was in effect a screening session. Next interviewed with a regional sales mgr. who would become my boss. Next flew to Austin HQ and interviewed with 5 people over the course of a day. Met with 2 Hr people for first interviews, Simple, personality and generic type questions. Then met with senior level mgr. for tougher interivew. Then met with insides sales mgr. and vp level for most challgengin interviews.

Interview Question – How do you handle a customer who is upset with the performance of the company you work for when that company is clearly at fault in a one on one setting where you are clearly the representative for that company and the customer is berrating you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted first offer and would now recommend that others negotiate.

Account Executive

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in August 2008.

Interview Details – 2 x panel interviews with 3 internal sales managers

Interview Question – What do you believe Dell's unique value proposition is?   Answer Question

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Dell in November 2012.

Interview Details – The first round was wasy and the HR made me feel comfortable but then in the second round with a manager,I was literally into tears. He was rude to me adnd don't know for what reason.As soon as he told me that he cannot continue this interview any further,I took a deep breath and said to myself THANK GOD and left. I think he din't like the idea that I was pursuing MBA at that time. I could see the change in his expression when I told him this. Worst experience ever! :(

Interview Question – Do you believe in hard work or smart work?   View Answers (2)

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dell in September 2011.

Interview Details – 7 interviews

Interview Question – How would you sell enterprise, mobility, software, and services to customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – Varies greatly by manager. Some managers will want to do a mock customer meeting. Some will simply be similar to most companies about you and your past and how it fits the current role. Most interviews are one interview/meeting only when you are an external candidate. Internal interviews can go several rounds depending on the role.

Interview Question – How do you deal with ambiguity?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Dell will negotiate depending on experience / previous pay at similar company. Always ask for more money from Dell. They will pay for about 50% of the time.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very good experience through the interview process. The talent acquisition team is very professional and were very diligent in their follow ups.

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, they offered within the range I was considering.

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dell in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was already working for Dell and as such was privy to contacts. I spent time positioning for this role before the actual interview by meeting regularly with potential hiring managers.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty typical and what you would expect. There is nothing that caught me off guard that I can recall.   Answer Question

Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Dell in May 2012.

Interview Details – Chaotic and highly unprofessional (that was in Geneva, Switzerland). Two managers being not consensual, laughing on inappropriate occasions, talking (too loud) behind ones back. I did not feel taken serious, and the manager who invited me was already fired, which I've found out later, once I worked there.

Interview Question – Do you mind to work for another manager than the one who invited you here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be sure you get an official, binding job description, or you end up doing everybodies work

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dell in March 2008.

Interview Details – Complete disconnect between the Dell recruiter and the hiring manager. Hiring manager had not read my resume in advance and also thought I was interviewing for a position different from the one I was contacted for. Hiring manager was completely unprepared. Series of interviews by those on the team. Seemed to be a very inwardly-focused group. Crummy corporate hell offices in Round Rock.

In retrospect, I felt that Dell was simply filling an interviewing quota. Candidates invest a lot in interviewing -take a day off work, a night in a hotel in my case, and not least -the preparation and expectations. I always value the experience of interviewing, but this was a waste. I would not have taken a job if offered. Maybe things have changed?

Interview Question – Don't recall anything notable   Answer Question

Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dell in September 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process started with phone interviews and ended with in person interviews with my hiring director and Group VP. The interview process was smooth, and i always fely i knew where I stood and what the next step was.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult, the position was a very good match for me based on my experience, and I was being recruited for my experience.   Answer Question

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!