Dell

2.9

186 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dell.

It was a campus interview. I submitted my application through campus recruiting and was invited to a 30-minute interview a few days later. They did a tag-team interview with two recruiters. They will respond within a few weeks about whether or not I'll have a second email.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you did not agree with someone with whom you were working. How did you handle the situation and what were the results?   Answer Question

Nov 19, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your experience interviewing with Dell. Your feedback will help our Recruiting team improve as well as provide insight to future candidates.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

The onsite interview consisted of 4 (1 of them being with HR) 1:1 interviews, each interview being around 30 mins. each, and they covered both technical/problem-solving and behavioral questions. The sessions were pretty laid-back and informal and started off with some bit of chit-chatting followed by an understanding of what was expected from the role, what I had done previously of the same nature, etc.

Interview Questions
    • The "Three Light Switches" riddle, which one can answer (and I could fortunately) on the spot one thinking through but it was a bit unexpected but a good way of testing problem solving in my opinion.   Answer Question

Software Developer Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dell in July 2014.

Had a phone round with the hiring manager and then onsite.
    The phone screen was going over my background and asked a few core Java questions.
    It took them about 3 weeks to get back to me after the phone screen
    The onsite interview was 4 rounds 30-45 mins each. Couple of whiteboard coding and design questions.
    The people seemed friendly and passonate about their work.
    Got the offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. the design question probably was the hardest.   Answer Question
    I didnt negotiate. Was offered more that I expected with bonus and relocation.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dell.

Interview was relatively simple. First Interview was by hiring manager and a second interview was conducted by four team members. Hiring process included offer and required drug test. Questions mainly covered experience and personal future goals.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not really difficult, but typical questions to get an understanding of how a person would work in their environment. I asked a question about a software shown in the job duties and hiring manager was not familiar with the software.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dell in June 2014.

The first half of the interview was amazing. Very easy, they got to know me as a person. The second half of the interview was not what I had expected. My recruiter told me to have an understanding of one of the products I would be generating leads for but when I got into the interview they wanted me to give a thorough explanation of all of the products, draw a diagram explaining their functions, then sell it to them. I don't see how that is possible if a person doesn't have the proper training.

Technical Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dell in May 2014.

Worst interview ever. Their Business Innovation team contacted me about a position. They were very disorganized and kept rescheduling meetings. I made it clear from the beginning that I am employed full-time and will work around their schedule as best I can. I was extremely flexible. Maybe too much so, but I thought "maybe this is a test to see how flexible I can be?" No. Turns out they are actually that disorganized.

After the first phone interview with the internal recruiter, I spoke with two other managers at once on another phone interview. Neither of them asked anything about me or my background. It was as if they had already made up their minds and were just going through the motions. I was hoping they had made their mind up about me because my background and skills really were a great match for the position.

Then after several more reschedules, they asked me to be in Round Rock at 8am for an in person interview. I was told all of my expenses would be reimbursed. I had to take a PTO day from my current job, drive in (4 hours) the night before and rent a hotel room.

By 8am, I still had not heard from the person I was supposed to meet with, so I contacted the internal recruiter who had apparently forgot to tell me he was unable to meet with me. So instead, she sent me to a last minute meet with a different manager who was clearly not in the mood to do an interview. He barely asked me any questions and didn't seem interested in answering any of mine. Frankly, he looked exhausted.

I then participated in one additional phone interview where we did have an actual conversation, but it was very scattered. After a few days I had not heard anything so I reached out to them and they told me they decided not to hire me because I lacked "enterprise software sales experience"... which is nonsense. I have plenty of experience. I figured again, maybe this is a test and being as I am in sales I reached out again and asked if they would be open to further discussion, so I could assuage any concerns on their part.

I was told no. And that in fact, they ha changed their mind and would not be hiring anyone for this position. Ultimately, I found this to be a huge waste and disrespect of my time. Oh, and I was not reimbursed for the hotel. Only mileage. How rude.

Interview Questions
    • They never asked me anything about myself. It was as if they had already made their decision and were just going through the motions. Maybe they are required to interview a certain number of candidates for each position. Regardless, they wasted a lot of my time.   Answer Question

Technical Sales Representative- Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dell in May 2014.

Initially, I applied for two different positions via Dell's website. I was contacted about a Social Media sales position that I never applied for instead, because I had a well established background working in media sales roles for nearly ten years. A month after my initial application, I was e-mailed a questionnaire, and asked to fill it out. I returned it within 24 hours. I heard absolutely nothing from Dell for three whole months. Out of nowhere, I was then contacted by a recruiter via e-mail and told that they were now ready to interview me. She scheduled an interview with the director of the Social Media services area. I was told that he had already reviewed my resume and requested to speak to me, because of my background. I was told that my interview would be both behavioral & technical questions. So, I prepared for both.

About two days later I had the briefest phone interview of my entire career. It lasted 15 minutes (at the most). The posting had stated that 50% travel was involved. However, the hiring manager told me it was 100% travel, which I have never heard of in any sales position, ever. The hiring manager seemed rushed, and was very abrupt. I was told that my qualifications didn't relate to the position at all. I mentioned that they may want to re-vise their job description, as several key pieces of information, including travel percentage, and job qualifications were apparently not correct, and would only continue to pull in the wrong candidates.

Overall, from start to finish, this interview process seemed to have several disconnects. It seems like there may be some hiccups in their recruitment process. Also, although Dell apparently has some canned interview questions that managers are supposed to use, you may or may not actually be asked any depending on which manager interviews you.

Interview Questions
    • I was never asked anything other than to give a general overview of my professional background. I was told by the recruiter that my interview would be both behavioral & technical, but I was never asked either type of question.   Answer Question

May 19, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your thorough and honest assessment of your interview experience with Dell. Although this is disappointing to hear about, we value your feedback and we need it to improve other ... More

MBA Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dell.

Dell visited our campus and selected interviewees based on applications submitted by students. The process is very standard where you meet and interview with a representative of Dell and then have a follow-up/secondary review afterwards. Overall the process is not terribly grueling and is very manageable as I found the people running the interviews to be likable and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were very straightforward and nothing a well-versed interviewee shouldn't expect. I suppose the hardest to answer for me was "What do you hope to benefit from the internship process?" For me, internships are required so I hadn't really thought of what I was looking to accomplish ahead of time.   Answer Question
    Very straightforward, easy to deal with. Not much negotiation necessary as it was an intern offer.

May 19, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear you had a pleasant interviewing experience and accepted your internship offer. It is important that the interviewers are ... More

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dell in April 2014.

2 Rounds of interviews.
    Round 1: with hiring manager.
    Round 2: 4 sets of back-to-back panel interviews.
    Questions were behavioral (tell me about a time you encountered X, how did you handle it) to a straight up problem solving discussion, with white boarding and open brainstorming on how to potentially fix a problem. Felt almost like a working session.
    I liked their honesty in stating the problem/challenge and what they needed help with. They didn't sugar coat it. Helped make the interview/discussion take on a new depth of dialog and really allow me to share with them what I know and how I can help them.
    I left the panel sessions feeling I'd had the opportunity to show my full range of competencies and give them a good feel for how I work.
    I was also given plenty of opportunity to interview them too - as individuals, as a team and as a company.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle outliers/dissenters and those not aligning with your plan.   View Answer
    Respectful, open, timely.

Client Tech Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dell in April 2014.

I received initial contact via email to fill out an additional application. Then I called from a recruiter with a few initial pre-qualification questions. Next I was scheduled for an interview withing a week. My interview was with two leadership personnel. They asked tech support questions about computers internal and external type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most Difficult question: What is the difference between a HUB and a HUB switch?
      Most Unexpected Question: What is your one guilty pleasure?
        Answer Question