Dell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Round Rock, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Dell in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my University. The interview was pretty straight forward covering prior sales experience. They run through the basic interview questions, like what your strengths and weaknesses are. Also, they ask a good amount of technology related questions. You are interviewed by a panel of 2-3 people and are expected to go through a mock sales presentation.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other offers

Very Difficult Interview

Inside Sales Representative I Interview

Inside Sales Representative I
Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dell in June 2014.

Interview Details – The first half of the interview was amazing. Very easy, they got to know me as a person. The second half of the interview was not what I had expected. My recruiter told me to have an understanding of one of the products I would be generating leads for but when I got into the interview they wanted me to give a thorough explanation of all of the products, draw a diagram explaining their functions, then sell it to them. I don't see how that is possible if a person doesn't have the proper training.

Interview Questions

Interaction and Visual Design Senior Engineer Interview

Interaction and Visual Design Senior Engineer
Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Dell in May 2011.

Interview Details – The process was fairly straight forward. Getting started was the hard part. I met several team members at a conference and was recruited by them. However, the process slowed a snails pace. They were interested and so was I, but many emails went unanswered. Once the human relations coordinator was in place the process became very smooth.

I went through several layers of phone interviews including HR, hiring manager, director, and design peers. They then invited me to visit Round Rock, TX for an onsite all day interviews. The onsite interview day started with meeting the hiring manager face to face, who then passed me off through a series of manager, director and peer interviews. It made for a long and tiring day.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were fairly set on their salary and bonus offering, it was a good solid offer so I accepted.

Product Marketing Consultant Interview

Product Marketing Consultant
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dell in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very good first interview over the phone. The questions were straight to the point and trying to find more about my set of skills. I learned more about the position and its responsibilities. The second interview, the woman was rude and in a hurry, she didn't ask too many questions and left half the conversation.

Interview Question – There were not difficult questions.   Answer Question

Flag Interview

Dell Candidate and Employee Experience Team responded to this review

Jul 8, 2014

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. This feedback is very valuable and we plan on sharing your comments with our Leadership team.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – Interview was relatively simple. First Interview was by hiring manager and a second interview was conducted by four team members. Hiring process included offer and required drug test. Questions mainly covered experience and personal future goals.

Interview Question – Questions were not really difficult, but typical questions to get an understanding of how a person would work in their environment. I asked a question about a software shown in the job duties and hiring manager was not familiar with the software.   Answer Question

Technical Sales Specialist Interview

Technical Sales Specialist
Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in May 2014.

Interview Details – Worst interview ever. Their Business Innovation team contacted me about a position. They were very disorganized and kept rescheduling meetings. I made it clear from the beginning that I am employed full-time and will work around their schedule as best I can. I was extremely flexible. Maybe too much so, but I thought "maybe this is a test to see how flexible I can be?" No. Turns out they are actually that disorganized.

After the first phone interview with the internal recruiter, I spoke with two other managers at once on another phone interview. Neither of them asked anything about me or my background. It was as if they had already made up their minds and were just going through the motions. I was hoping they had made their mind up about me because my background and skills really were a great match for the position.

Then after several more reschedules, they asked me to be in Round Rock at 8am for an in person interview. I was told all of my expenses would be reimbursed. I had to take a PTO day from my current job, drive in (4 hours) the night before and rent a hotel room.

By 8am, I still had not heard from the person I was supposed to meet with, so I contacted the internal recruiter who had apparently forgot to tell me he was unable to meet with me. So instead, she sent me to a last minute meet with a different manager who was clearly not in the mood to do an interview. He barely asked me any questions and didn't seem interested in answering any of mine. Frankly, he looked exhausted.

I then participated in one additional phone interview where we did have an actual conversation, but it was very scattered. After a few days I had not heard anything so I reached out to them and they told me they decided not to hire me because I lacked "enterprise software sales experience"... which is nonsense. I have plenty of experience. I figured again, maybe this is a test and being as I am in sales I reached out again and asked if they would be open to further discussion, so I could assuage any concerns on their part.

I was told no. And that in fact, they ha changed their mind and would not be hiring anyone for this position. Ultimately, I found this to be a huge waste and disrespect of my time. Oh, and I was not reimbursed for the hotel. Only mileage. How rude.

Interview Question – They never asked me anything about myself. It was as if they had already made their decision and were just going through the motions. Maybe they are required to interview a certain number of candidates for each position. Regardless, they wasted a lot of my time.   Answer Question

Client Tech Support Associate Interview

Client Tech Support Associate
Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dell in April 2014.

Interview Details – I received initial contact via email to fill out an additional application. Then I called from a recruiter with a few initial pre-qualification questions. Next I was scheduled for an interview withing a week. My interview was with two leadership personnel. They asked tech support questions about computers internal and external type questions.

Interview Question – Most Difficult question: What is the difference between a HUB and a HUB switch?
Most Unexpected Question: What is your one guilty pleasure?
  Answer Question

Corporate Communications Senior Advisor Interview

Corporate Communications Senior Advisor
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in June 2011.

Interview Details – I saw a job listing for Dell via TweetMyJobs and ended up applying. Within a couple of weeks, I was contacted by a recruiter and additional phone interviews were scheduled. After a one-on-one phone interview, I was invited for in-person interviews with three people - the hiring manager and two colleagues. It was a full day but an enjoyable experience.

Interview Question – Tell me how you overcame a challenge in a past role.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Business Analysis Advisor Interview

Business Analysis Advisor
Round Rock, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in May 2011.

Interview Details – Many jobs applied for internally received no response (automated or otherwise). Interviews ranged from formal panels to very informal lunches. HR processes are outsourced and lagging in response time with no clear path of communication, so I expect all of these things to occur on the external candidates even more.

Interview Question – If a vendor outside of our span of control has an issue with a project, and it has been escalated to you, what do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Internal postings are not negotiable.

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in April 2014.

Interview Details – 2 Rounds of interviews.
Round 1: with hiring manager.
Round 2: 4 sets of back-to-back panel interviews.
Questions were behavioral (tell me about a time you encountered X, how did you handle it) to a straight up problem solving discussion, with white boarding and open brainstorming on how to potentially fix a problem. Felt almost like a working session.
I liked their honesty in stating the problem/challenge and what they needed help with. They didn't sugar coat it. Helped make the interview/discussion take on a new depth of dialog and really allow me to share with them what I know and how I can help them.
I left the panel sessions feeling I'd had the opportunity to show my full range of competencies and give them a good feel for how I work.
I was also given plenty of opportunity to interview them too - as individuals, as a team and as a company.

Interview Question – How would you handle outliers/dissenters and those not aligning with your plan.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Respectful, open, timely.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dell

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!

Dell Videos

Dell – Why Work for Us?

With more than 100,000 team members globally, we promote an environment that is rooted in the entrepreneurial spirit in which the company was founded. Dell’s team members are committed to serving our communities… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dell interview questions and advice in Austin, TX. All 179 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dell employees and interview candidates.