Dell

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dell in June 2008.

Interview Details – I arrived early and, in spite of my comment it was a mistake, was swept into a cattle call group and skills-tested in an unrelated area. I was told I didn't pass their test and sent home. An hour later I received a call that this was a mistake and that group was testing for assembly line work, and asked to come back. After some thought, I made the 30 minute drive back and was interviewed by two men. One was amiable but the other had delusions of grandeur. Aside from the relevant questions, he asked things such as "We are Dell, why should we give you a chance." Given this fellow's first name was not Michael my answer was literal: "The company, not you, is giving me a chance just as I am giving he company a chance. After all, taking a job here means not taking a job elsewhere." After a short stunned silence I essentially called the encounter to an end and left. The amiable fellow seemed to 'get it' and was amused. I shook his hand and wished him well, but ignored the other guy.

Interview Question – Essentially a behavioral interview with unrelated comments and questions thrown in to "show who has the upper hand here".   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I work because I enjoy the job, from the tasks to the people. This place stuck me like a clothing sweatshop in a 3rd world nation where you're just lucky to have a job. For someone who really needs a job due to personal responsibilities and limited resources, the prevalent "greater than thou" attitude must be tolerated. By design, that's not my situation. It simply was not a fit and I'm glad that both sides were able to determine this immediately. Though, in retrospect, I should have declined the invitation to make the return trip as the indication was there even at that point. Interestingly, the foolish fellow, was later caught up in a layoff.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!