Dell Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.9

Senior Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dell.

Interview

From initial conversations to offer, Dell recruiting handled the entire process that went very smoothly. I had three rounds of calls with eight people total. All interviewers were concise and asked pointed questions. They were very interested in what I had done in previous roles. From interviews to decision, the process went quickly.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strength.   1 Answer

Dell Response

Mar 11, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and our followers/potential candidates. Congratulations on your offer and welcome to Dell!

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dell.

Interview

Applied for the job on Dell's website and received a phone call later that morning from the hiring manager. He asked if I could come in that afternoon for an informal interview to tour Dell and to see the day to day workings of the position. After the tour a formal interview was scheduled for the following day. Overall a great experience and very polite and professional group of people.

Interview Questions

• What does RAID stand for and what does it do? Also was asked to install several parts into a desktop, laptop and server in 10 minutes.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dell.

Interview

First round interview through campus recruiting, great experience. Very mellow, first round is with a professional recruiter then later rounds would be with other employees. Overall, I felt like it was not very difficult but was only a 1st round and a super friendly person. Know your resume, do some research about the company and you should be fine! I think fit is key, try to be friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why Dell? What attracted you to this positio? Walk me through your resume... pretty standard.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dell in March 2015.

Interview

I had telephonic interview for internship. Panel of 3 had taken my interview. They asked everything from resume, no questions were asked which were outside of topic which i might not be able to answer. They explained me initially about whats the current technology in dell and then started with asking me about my previous job experience. Then they started with projets I had done and skill sets mentioned.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I knew data structures   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Dell in March 2015.

Interview

The interview itself was a very straight forward with nothing too difficult. It was a phone interview about a week after I had first interacted with the recruiter. I didn't get any behavioral questions and it was a very easy going conversation. The questions referred specifically to IT methodologies and cycles. My interview lasted about 30 minutes. The reason I gave it a negative overall experience is because it took too long to hear back from Dell; which if you're interviewing with other companies can make it difficult to pick the right company. Other candidates that interviewed the same time as me never heard back either. The recruiter would did not respond to any emails after the interviews. When they did finally email me back about getting rejected the recruiter referred to me by the wrong name. If they hypothetically had extended and offer to me it would have been too late for me to accept anyways.

IT Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through on-campus career fair. One of the team members called me after a month and talked about what the team does. After 2 weeks, the HR scheduled a onsite interview. There were 6 interviews spanned across 6hrs. The recruiter responded after a couple of weeks with a fat offer. Negotiated a bit and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about SAN, Database configuration, VLANs, Shell scripting and Linux administration basics   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Dell.

Interview

It was pretty relaxed. It was a phone interview where I was asked stuff written on my resume. The interviewer inquired about the projects I have done and all. I was asked if I was interested in Dell and their internship openings.

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dell.

Interview

Applied through career fair and got the interview immediately after talking with the recruiter. The interview is held next day in a hotel and I went there to talk with just the same recruiter on career fair. Even though he has already known almost everything on the resume, he went on asking deeper. I didn't do well on one of them, I think it might be the reason why I didn't get the offer.

Applications Management Analyst L2 Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dell (Nashville, TN) in February 2015.

Interview

After application on Dell Job board was excited that after Morgan Stanley this was supposed my second big Break Through. Recruiter Contacted me and scheduled a time for telephonic talk. After she was satisfied She setup an interview with onsite Lead Analyst. He was really good and experienced he asked me each and every details and i answered it at a point he was 99% satisfied.

Then he asked me about what i want and why Dell ? and i answered.

Then i was told that i will give my feedback to my manager and may be he or some one else from my team will take your interview if they are further interested.

My interview was on Friday and Monday was president day so i mailed her Tuesday ...asking if she have feedback for me ? Didn't received her response on 3rd day too. I guess she was not provided feedback from Nashville. I called off all other interviews with a hope of getting this job where i can do something.

All i want is they be clear . If YES then say yes if NO then say no and if she didn't got feedback then at least say that. As a professional I have also taken interview and sometimes i also waited for week and after taking interview i give feedback selecting the best person. Its totally fine and acceptable but Giving NO RESPONSE makes a negative thought of loosing hope of getting that Job.

Plus i never blame any company employees as they take interview they are doing their job and duty. If they rejects me then also i will accept it as my fault or somewhere i might be lacking . I will groom my self with required technical skills , Improve my self and then will appear for interview for some other company.

Interview Questions

• Do you have ITIL certification ?   1 Answer
    • Are you ready to work on Weekends ? as we have lot weekend activities.   1 Answer
    • I was asked basic unix & oracle commands.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dell.

Interview

This candidate selection, interviewing, and hiring process is the most straight forward, no nonsense process I have been through. The online application portal's user interface is slick and the extraction process is productive. The recruiter is extremely talented and offers professional and timely communication on next steps. The hiring managers are talented and excited about the organization. I had one phone conversation with recruiter and two face to face interviews on site.

Interview Questions

• What artifacts are you familiar with?   Answer Question
    • What is your communication style?   Answer Question
    • What two courses in your college education prepared you for this opportunity?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience working with end users? What stakeholders did you manage?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with up to 10% travel?   Answer Question
    • Did you have direct management authority to those you previously managed? Are you comfortable with shared resources?   Answer Question
    • What is the size of projects you have experience managing in dollars, hours, or duration?   Answer Question
    • Whats your background and knowledge with using PMI's PM knowledge areas, processes and principles?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't have to negotiate since I negotiated upfront with recruiter. Their offer was fair and I didn't feel low balled on salary.

Dell Response

Feb 9, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Wow - this is a really detailed and likely helpful review for other candidates. Congratulations on your accepted offer and thank you for your review!