Dell

2.9

Inside Sales Representative IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dell in June 2014.

I was referred by an employee of Dell. I believe that is how most people are hired. I had phone interview, I believe it was mostly to see how I could communicate. After phone interview, I was immediately asked to come in for a face-to-face. I interviewed with three managers and a trainer. After that, I had to do some online training and fill out a personality test. Then do a drug test. Finally, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    They do not negotiate salary

Consumer Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Dell in June 2014.

Recruiter contacted me after finding my resume online and then set up the interview for me at Dell. After a brief tour of the building, especially the sales floor, there was a short, very basic interview that was mostly just discussing the position and if I thought I could do what would be asked of me, and I walked out of the building with the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell a story that reflects a time you were in a competitive situation.   Answer Question

Web Content Editor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dell in June 2014.

The interview was somewhat stiff and brief; definitely corporatey feel to it. Remote dialed in participants didn't participate, just listened, which was odd to me but that's probably just part of their HR protocol. Overall though, nice people, straightforward process.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dell in June 2014.

Completed the Dell online employee form
    Contacted by Talent Acquisition team and reviewed resume; high level summary of role and I agreed it was a fit.
    Phone screened with 2 current Technical Account Managers. Asked technical questions regarding my experience with:
    - Storage - Isci and FC and the benefits of each
    - Server - Models I've worked with, current Dell servers or IBM/HP that I've wok
    - Networking knowledge - light stuff like ICMP, SNMP, IP
    - Presentation skills
    - Leadership roles
    - Sales ability

Lasts about 30 minutes. Pass and you're recommended to TAM Manager interview.

I was light in my presentation and went blank on server models I've worked with. Know the job description and apply your background to it and you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't very difficult, I just drew a blank when they asked me about my past server experience. It's not a hands-on role so I was not prepared. I did not know the model of servers I worked with because there were so many and I didn't think it would matter. Also, my past experience had no public speaking involvement. I never presented to C levels, only other technical people.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

long process and very unorganized. they just have random managers complete the process who have no business conducting an interview. Once you do have an interview, you then have to hope that they don't loose your info in a folder. They never know when they are even able to hire because of their "head count" Changes day to day

Technical Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dell in May 2014.

Worst interview ever. Their Business Innovation team contacted me about a position. They were very disorganized and kept rescheduling meetings. I made it clear from the beginning that I am employed full-time and will work around their schedule as best I can. I was extremely flexible. Maybe too much so, but I thought "maybe this is a test to see how flexible I can be?" No. Turns out they are actually that disorganized.

After the first phone interview with the internal recruiter, I spoke with two other managers at once on another phone interview. Neither of them asked anything about me or my background. It was as if they had already made up their minds and were just going through the motions. I was hoping they had made their mind up about me because my background and skills really were a great match for the position.

Then after several more reschedules, they asked me to be in Round Rock at 8am for an in person interview. I was told all of my expenses would be reimbursed. I had to take a PTO day from my current job, drive in (4 hours) the night before and rent a hotel room.

By 8am, I still had not heard from the person I was supposed to meet with, so I contacted the internal recruiter who had apparently forgot to tell me he was unable to meet with me. So instead, she sent me to a last minute meet with a different manager who was clearly not in the mood to do an interview. He barely asked me any questions and didn't seem interested in answering any of mine. Frankly, he looked exhausted.

I then participated in one additional phone interview where we did have an actual conversation, but it was very scattered. After a few days I had not heard anything so I reached out to them and they told me they decided not to hire me because I lacked "enterprise software sales experience"... which is nonsense. I have plenty of experience. I figured again, maybe this is a test and being as I am in sales I reached out again and asked if they would be open to further discussion, so I could assuage any concerns on their part.

I was told no. And that in fact, they ha changed their mind and would not be hiring anyone for this position. Ultimately, I found this to be a huge waste and disrespect of my time. Oh, and I was not reimbursed for the hotel. Only mileage. How rude.

Interview Questions
    • They never asked me anything about myself. It was as if they had already made their decision and were just going through the motions. Maybe they are required to interview a certain number of candidates for each position. Regardless, they wasted a lot of my time.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dell.

Met with two recruiters in calm setting. Asked questions about my resume and how they were similar to the job requirements. Come prepared with questions to ask, and since it's a sales job try to pitch a product.

Software Development Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dell in May 2014.

Interview is real quick. Offer release was prompt with regular follow ups. Salary was based on current offers in hand and was decent. Interviewing was 3 fold. The hiring manager called for a 30 min session which was very high level, followed by a panel Webex asking technical questions. The final one was with the recruiter and mainly around compensation process

Interview Questions
    • Explain the end to end automation in continuous integration environment with a business case. Explain your current job profile and how do you think the interviewed position fits your skills   Answer Question
    Please ensure that you tell them of current offers in hand. They will not exceed your offers, but match the exact number. So make sure you have a bigger number in other companies and then interview for Dell, so that they match offers. Otherwise, their current salary benchmarks are very poor

Technical Sales Representative- Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Dell in May 2014.

Initially, I applied for two different positions via Dell's website. I was contacted about a Social Media sales position that I never applied for instead, because I had a well established background working in media sales roles for nearly ten years. A month after my initial application, I was e-mailed a questionnaire, and asked to fill it out. I returned it within 24 hours. I heard absolutely nothing from Dell for three whole months. Out of nowhere, I was then contacted by a recruiter via e-mail and told that they were now ready to interview me. She scheduled an interview with the director of the Social Media services area. I was told that he had already reviewed my resume and requested to speak to me, because of my background. I was told that my interview would be both behavioral & technical questions. So, I prepared for both.

About two days later I had the briefest phone interview of my entire career. It lasted 15 minutes (at the most). The posting had stated that 50% travel was involved. However, the hiring manager told me it was 100% travel, which I have never heard of in any sales position, ever. The hiring manager seemed rushed, and was very abrupt. I was told that my qualifications didn't relate to the position at all. I mentioned that they may want to re-vise their job description, as several key pieces of information, including travel percentage, and job qualifications were apparently not correct, and would only continue to pull in the wrong candidates.

Overall, from start to finish, this interview process seemed to have several disconnects. It seems like there may be some hiccups in their recruitment process. Also, although Dell apparently has some canned interview questions that managers are supposed to use, you may or may not actually be asked any depending on which manager interviews you.

Interview Questions
    • I was never asked anything other than to give a general overview of my professional background. I was told by the recruiter that my interview would be both behavioral & technical, but I was never asked either type of question.   Answer Question

Dell Response

May 19, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your thorough and honest assessment of your interview experience with Dell. Although this is disappointing to hear about, we value your feedback and we need it to improve other ... More

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Dell in May 2014.

First round interviews was a panel of 3. Was not intense but validating whats on your resume and experience to do the job. My recommendation would be to be confident and don't lie on your resume because they will expose you. Be prepared for the panel type interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are things that are deal breakers in the role for you?   Answer Question