Dell Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015
1,090 Interview Reviews

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

Handed my resume in at a career fair. Recruiter gave me little information about the position. Didn't expect much but somehow got an interview a week later. Interview was disarmingly short and informal, with no technical questions for a technical role (raised a red flag for me). Interviewer seemed to have decided that I had gotten the job arbitrarily before I even walked in. Barely talked about the job or any of my qualifications. Again, didn't expect much to come out of it but got an offer a couple weeks later. However, even after the offer was extended, it was extremely unclear what I'd actually be doing. Everyone I talked to within the company seemed to have this attitude of "It's a big company, so just relax and perform well with what's given to you." This isn't a bad philosophy, but when there are competitors offering concrete projects and letting you fly out there to meet and interview with the teams you'd be working with, it's really hard to pick they "mystery" package that Dell was trying to offer.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember if the interviewer even asked any meaningful questions...   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an initial 30 minute screen with Human Resources, then followed a week later by a half day session with four different interviewers, ending with the hiring manager. Each session was with a different individual from the extended team, and lasted for 30 minutes each. Most asked standard background / experience questions and what I would do in certain job situations, but nothing too difficult or out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• If you saw that your team weren't making the numbers, what would you do?   Answer Question

Senior Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

From initial conversations to offer, Dell recruiting handled the entire process that went very smoothly. I had three rounds of calls with eight people total. All interviewers were concise and asked pointed questions. They were very interested in what I had done in previous roles. From interviews to decision, the process went quickly.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strength.   1 Answer

Dell Response

Mar 11, 2015 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and our followers/potential candidates. Congratulations on your offer and welcome to Dell!

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Dell in March 2015.

Interview

The interview itself was a very straight forward with nothing too difficult. It was a phone interview about a week after I had first interacted with the recruiter. I didn't get any behavioral questions and it was a very easy going conversation. The questions referred specifically to IT methodologies and cycles. My interview lasted about 30 minutes. The reason I gave it a negative overall experience is because it took too long to hear back from Dell; which if you're interviewing with other companies can make it difficult to pick the right company. Other candidates that interviewed the same time as me never heard back either. The recruiter would did not respond to any emails after the interviews. When they did finally email me back about getting rejected the recruiter referred to me by the wrong name. If they hypothetically had extended and offer to me it would have been too late for me to accept anyways.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

First round interview through campus recruiting, great experience. Very mellow, first round is with a professional recruiter then later rounds would be with other employees. Overall, I felt like it was not very difficult but was only a 1st round and a super friendly person. Know your resume, do some research about the company and you should be fine! I think fit is key, try to be friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why Dell? What attracted you to this positio? Walk me through your resume... pretty standard.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

Applied for the job on Dell's website and received a phone call later that morning from the hiring manager. He asked if I could come in that afternoon for an informal interview to tour Dell and to see the day to day workings of the position. After the tour a formal interview was scheduled for the following day. Overall a great experience and very polite and professional group of people.

Interview Questions

• What does RAID stand for and what does it do? Also was asked to install several parts into a desktop, laptop and server in 10 minutes.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Round Rock, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Although the difficulty of the interview was slightly above average, the process was terrible. When I came in, there was a line to get in the door (thinking I would need a visitor badge). Instead someone came out and took me into a tiny room literally right next to the front door of the building, and I stayed in that room from 10a-4p (excluding lunch offsite). No one ever took me around to show me the work environment (bad, but tolerable). The thing the really offended me was the last guy on me interview schedule could not stop cursing during the whole interview, like it was just casual language. He must have said the [] word 20 times during the 45 minute period. I have never had anyone speak to me like that during an interview. Besides that, I thought the interview went really well and they acted like it too. They even said, "Ohhh, can you stay a little bit longer. We have someone from another group that wants to talk to you." Despite that, I never heard anything back, not even a rejection email. Some weeks later, another recruiter from Dell contacted me about a different position in a different division of the company. I told her I already interviewed there and never heard back. "Oh, really?" One doesn't know what the other is doing. From an engineering perspective and based on what 3 principal and 2 senior electrical engineers told me, I would not recommend working here, at least for EE. They outsource almost everything to China, just like HP. Even 1 of the principals told me, "Ya there's really not any hardware work to do anymore. Everything's software, man. We just run the tools, it says the link is good, and we're done." Too bad, because I was hoping the company might bring some work back here after the privatization.

Interview Questions

• "I am gonna make you sweat, is that ok?"   Answer Question

IT Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through on-campus career fair. One of the team members called me after a month and talked about what the team does. After 2 weeks, the HR scheduled a onsite interview. There were 6 interviews spanned across 6hrs. The recruiter responded after a couple of weeks with a fat offer. Negotiated a bit and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about SAN, Database configuration, VLANs, Shell scripting and Linux administration basics   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dell in March 2015.

Interview

I had telephonic interview for internship. Panel of 3 had taken my interview. They asked everything from resume, no questions were asked which were outside of topic which i might not be able to answer. They explained me initially about whats the current technology in dell and then started with asking me about my previous job experience. Then they started with projets I had done and skill sets mentioned.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I knew data structures   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

first phone interview with hiring manager which was based on my resume mostly then followed by onsite interview .6 different people had 45 min sessions and questions were technical and behavioral .