Dell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Round Rock, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dell in November 2010.

Interview Details – It was a peer interview, friendly but stressful and somewhat disorganized. I got the feeling the interviewers just wanted to get a warm body asap.

Interview Question – At the end of almost two hours of interviewing, I was asked to tell a joke. I came up short. I thought it was a stupid question, but then, the hiring manager who asked it quit Dell half a year later.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – The Interview process was very easy, the manager flew to my location and made me an offer right there and then. I don't know if this is policy and I was surprised. I waited one day for the contract and started two weeks later, very easy process.

Interview Question – Would I be willing to relocate   View Answer

Platform Software Engineer Interview

Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dell in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very basic. Simple fifteen minute phone call followed by an interview in Round Rock. I was interviewed by four members of my future team. Three of them asked highly technical questions and the other asked personal questions.

Interview Question – A very complicated, timed, bit transformation question.   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Solutions Architect
Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in April 2010.

Interview Details – Was an internal hire. First hire, the interview process was standard. 2-3 phone interviews and then a personal loop with 4-6 individuals. All interviewers provide a rated response to your interview to determine hireability

Interview Question – If you won the lottery tomorrow, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was non-existent. At the time of hire, the job market was full of candidates. You simply got an offer letter that detailed your compensation in detail with a accept/not accept request.

Program Management Director Interview

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed by 5 people: hiring manager's peer, 3 peers, and 1 subordinate. Interviews were mainly behavioral. Example: Tell me about a time you got along with a difficult boss. Tell me about the last program you managed. Tell me about a failure, etc. You must do your best to connect your experiences and accomplishments to what they are looking for in the role. Don't use the same accomplishments or stories with each interviewer-they are going to get together and compare notes if the hiring manager is smart.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?
Why are you right for this job?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Thank the recruiter, and ask for a few days-make sure you ask if this is the best and final offer, given the scope of the role and your experience. Come back after 24 hours and ask for just a little bit more. You will probably get it.

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – be professional, have resume... have seen many come in unprepared. give specifics of what you did, how you did it, and what the outcome was. Be to the point and confident.

Interview Question – if you were a super hero who would you be and why? ...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much to negociate at that time.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dell in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, got HR call 1 day later, phone call with hiring manager the next day. Went for the onsite 5 days after I applied. Interview lasted 4 hours (30 min slots with diff team members). Every thing was going well until one developer started asking me stupid/got-cha kind of questions that got me visibly irate which affected the rest of the interview.

Interview Question – Random questions like what is the keyword "yield" in C# (I've been a developer for 8 years but never used it). Classic programming problems like write code to reverse a node structure.   Answer Question

ISAM II Interview

Round Rock, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Dell in August 2012.

Interview Details – once interviewed, company went on hiring freeze. was not extended an offer for 3 months after initial interview and had to re-interview

Interview Question – How do you approach and get business from someone who has not purchased from Dell in the last 8 quarters?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – received offer and accepted

Software Engineer Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – 1st round: I was contacted by a manager of one of their software dev teams to do phone screening which took about 30 mins. The manager spent 15 mins talking about the project that her group was working on, then she asked about my background. Very class HR questions. Got scheduled for a technical phone screen.

2nd round: The technical phone screen was pretty easy, basic data structure such as Stack, Queue, Graph (no coding, only discussed the use and time complexity). One question involving threads in Java which caught me off guard, but the interviewer gave me hint.

Never heard back from them after the 2nd round, they might move on with other candidates. I feel a little bit disappointed since they did not even bother replying my follow-up email to ask for the status.

Interview Question – Suppose you are writing a test script to test a function running in a process over night. How do you make sure that if the process is halted, your test function will be able to detect that.   View Answer

Client Pro Support Technicianq Interview

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dell in October 2011.

Interview Details – A friend told me to come to a job fair at the location. I came to the fair. I interviewed with 2-3 people. 1 at a time. They asked me some very good questions pertaining to doing the job everyday. I went on a wednesday night and had an offer by next friday.

Interview Question – There was a bunch of BBI (behavior based interview) questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, after they tell you you have been accepted for the position, they will tell you what it pays, then you have the option to accept or decline.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dell