Dell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Staff Interview

Software Developer Staff
Round Rock, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dell in July 2014.

Interview Details – Had a phone round with the hiring manager and then onsite.
The phone screen was going over my background and asked a few core Java questions.
It took them about 3 weeks to get back to me after the phone screen
The onsite interview was 4 rounds 30-45 mins each. Couple of whiteboard coding and design questions.
The people seemed friendly and passonate about their work.
Got the offer the next day.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. the design question probably was the hardest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didnt negotiate. Was offered more that I expected with bonus and relocation.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Round Rock, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Dell in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my University. The interview was pretty straight forward covering prior sales experience. They run through the basic interview questions, like what your strengths and weaknesses are. Also, they ask a good amount of technology related questions. You are interviewed by a panel of 2-3 people and are expected to go through a mock sales presentation.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other offers

Very Difficult Interview

Inside Sales Representative I Interview

Inside Sales Representative I
Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dell in June 2014.

Interview Details – The first half of the interview was amazing. Very easy, they got to know me as a person. The second half of the interview was not what I had expected. My recruiter told me to have an understanding of one of the products I would be generating leads for but when I got into the interview they wanted me to give a thorough explanation of all of the products, draw a diagram explaining their functions, then sell it to them. I don't see how that is possible if a person doesn't have the proper training.

Interview Questions

Interaction and Visual Design Senior Engineer Interview

Interaction and Visual Design Senior Engineer
Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Dell in May 2011.

Interview Details – The process was fairly straight forward. Getting started was the hard part. I met several team members at a conference and was recruited by them. However, the process slowed a snails pace. They were interested and so was I, but many emails went unanswered. Once the human relations coordinator was in place the process became very smooth.

I went through several layers of phone interviews including HR, hiring manager, director, and design peers. They then invited me to visit Round Rock, TX for an onsite all day interviews. The onsite interview day started with meeting the hiring manager face to face, who then passed me off through a series of manager, director and peer interviews. It made for a long and tiring day.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were fairly set on their salary and bonus offering, it was a good solid offer so I accepted.

Technical Sales Specialist Interview

Technical Sales Specialist
Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in May 2014.

Interview Details – Worst interview ever. Their Business Innovation team contacted me about a position. They were very disorganized and kept rescheduling meetings. I made it clear from the beginning that I am employed full-time and will work around their schedule as best I can. I was extremely flexible. Maybe too much so, but I thought "maybe this is a test to see how flexible I can be?" No. Turns out they are actually that disorganized.

After the first phone interview with the internal recruiter, I spoke with two other managers at once on another phone interview. Neither of them asked anything about me or my background. It was as if they had already made up their minds and were just going through the motions. I was hoping they had made their mind up about me because my background and skills really were a great match for the position.

Then after several more reschedules, they asked me to be in Round Rock at 8am for an in person interview. I was told all of my expenses would be reimbursed. I had to take a PTO day from my current job, drive in (4 hours) the night before and rent a hotel room.

By 8am, I still had not heard from the person I was supposed to meet with, so I contacted the internal recruiter who had apparently forgot to tell me he was unable to meet with me. So instead, she sent me to a last minute meet with a different manager who was clearly not in the mood to do an interview. He barely asked me any questions and didn't seem interested in answering any of mine. Frankly, he looked exhausted.

I then participated in one additional phone interview where we did have an actual conversation, but it was very scattered. After a few days I had not heard anything so I reached out to them and they told me they decided not to hire me because I lacked "enterprise software sales experience"... which is nonsense. I have plenty of experience. I figured again, maybe this is a test and being as I am in sales I reached out again and asked if they would be open to further discussion, so I could assuage any concerns on their part.

I was told no. And that in fact, they ha changed their mind and would not be hiring anyone for this position. Ultimately, I found this to be a huge waste and disrespect of my time. Oh, and I was not reimbursed for the hotel. Only mileage. How rude.

Interview Question – They never asked me anything about myself. It was as if they had already made their decision and were just going through the motions. Maybe they are required to interview a certain number of candidates for each position. Regardless, they wasted a lot of my time.   Answer Question

Client Tech Support Associate Interview

Client Tech Support Associate
Round Rock, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dell in April 2014.

Interview Details – I received initial contact via email to fill out an additional application. Then I called from a recruiter with a few initial pre-qualification questions. Next I was scheduled for an interview withing a week. My interview was with two leadership personnel. They asked tech support questions about computers internal and external type questions.

Interview Question – Most Difficult question: What is the difference between a HUB and a HUB switch?
Most Unexpected Question: What is your one guilty pleasure?
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Business Analysis Advisor Interview

Business Analysis Advisor
Round Rock, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in May 2011.

Interview Details – Many jobs applied for internally received no response (automated or otherwise). Interviews ranged from formal panels to very informal lunches. HR processes are outsourced and lagging in response time with no clear path of communication, so I expect all of these things to occur on the external candidates even more.

Interview Question – If a vendor outside of our span of control has an issue with a project, and it has been escalated to you, what do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Internal postings are not negotiable.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dell in April 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – None. Just common questions from my resume   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

MBA Intern
Round Rock, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – Dell visited our campus and selected interviewees based on applications submitted by students. The process is very standard where you meet and interview with a representative of Dell and then have a follow-up/secondary review afterwards. Overall the process is not terribly grueling and is very manageable as I found the people running the interviews to be likable and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – All of the questions were very straightforward and nothing a well-versed interviewee shouldn't expect. I suppose the hardest to answer for me was "What do you hope to benefit from the internship process?" For me, internships are required so I hadn't really thought of what I was looking to accomplish ahead of time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward, easy to deal with. Not much negotiation necessary as it was an intern offer.

Dell Response

May 19, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear you had a pleasant interviewing experience and accepted your internship offer. It is important that the interviewers are ... More

Information Architect/User Experience Interview

Information Architect/User Experience
Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in October 2012.

Interview Details – I started with two phone interviews: one with HR, and another with a senior manager. Afterward I was called in to interview with three different senior managers at the same time in a panel style interview.

Interview Question – I was asked to review a short work requisite, given thirty minutes alone to craft a solution, then needed to present this solution in presentation format to the managers afterward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called and offered a salary, followed up by a formal letter.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!