Dell

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Round Rock, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dell in July 2010.

Interview Details – 2 Phone Interviews. Then onsite interview. General questions regarding past experience.

Negotiation Details – not much room for negotiation. they do ask and verify past employment details.

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dell in April 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with an HR recruiter. That was followed by an interview with the hiring manager as well as two team members. I was told I did great and was the top candidate for the position and the only candidate asked to meet with the client I would be working with. I was told that if I performed well in that interview, the job was basically in the bag. It then took a month to schedule that final interview. When it finally happened, I did well. The hiring manager told me I did and the feedback she gave the recruiter I did great. Then they ended up offering the job to an internal candidate that they never told me about, even though I asked. I felt led on.

Interview Question – Describe a scenario where your personal ethics had to be compromised to meet a company objective.   View Answer

Round Rock, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dell in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to a job as a Senior Product Manager online, and the recruiter contacted me about 2 days later via phone. He said there were a number of openings for the same job, just managing different products. He asked me about my interests and said he would connect me with someone hiring for a product manager role aligned with my interests. A few days later I was setup to have a phone interview with what I thought was going to be the hiring manager, but turned out to be a potential peer. It was more informational than an interview of my skills. Then about a week later I was scheduled for a 3 person panel interview over the phone. It consisted of the same guy from the last call, plus 2 additional potential peers, but not the hiring manager. One of the three guys was late to the interview and they asked me some questions, but it didn't feel like it really give me a chance to differentiate myself from competitors. The questions where "how would you do this" or "how would you handle that" to some fairly generic scenarios. I was told that if I made it past this interview, they would invite me on site for an all day interview with several people. A couple of days later I asked for a status update from HR and they said they decided to go with another candidate.

The experience was OK overall. It was quick and not delayed. But it was odd that I never got to talk to the hiring manager despite three phone interviews.

Interview Question – If you were going to launch a smart phone into the market, how would you do it?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Product Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dell in August 2008.

Interview Details – After applying online I didn't hear anything back. Then it turns out I knew an associate of the hiring manager and after I was recommended, the HR rep called me the next day. There was a 20 minute conversation to find out current situation and then she scheduled a round of interviews (2 with team members and 1 with hiring manager) the next week. I would call my discussions with the team members more "conversations" then interviews - there were no formal questions. The hiring manager also did not ask me any of the standardized Dell questions.
I was called back 5 days later to talk salary then another 3 days after that to inform the there had been a reorg and the hiring manager was no longer in his same position - then never heard back again.

Interview Questions

Senior Product Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, one on campus and one on site with 4 VPs. Heard back in 2 wks.

Interview Question – Questions are all about fit ; how I can fit into big and transformational organization like Dell   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another offer

Senior Product Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dell in March 2010.

Interview Details – My job was being sourced to Dell and Dell was interested with my experience in product management with the previous employer. Dell jobs were only available to folks who received layoff notices. Dell initially provided job fair for those employees and then requested applications/resumes be submitted online. Received call from HR rep 2 weeks after resume submital and had a group phone interview 3 days later. Interview lasted 45 minutes and no tough questions asked. Mostly wanted to know my background and experience on particular projects. toughest question was "how would I improve the role of product management with the company?"

Interview Question – How would I improve the role of product management with the company?   Answer Question

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!