Dell

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.8

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dell.

Apply on Dell job, had a on campus interview. Two engineering managers asked me questions about my project. Interviewing with Dell is honestly the best interview experience I've ever had. Much better than Google, Microsoft. The people who interviewed me made me feel like they really care, and they are actually trying to see if I am a good fit for a job in Dell. Overall it's a great experience

Dell Response

Nov 17, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Dell. We are happy to hear that your experience was so positive. Best of luck to you!

Other Interview Reviews for Dell

Software Engineer Interview

I was asked for technical interviews with two different groups, no HR part involved so far. Applied through university. Interview invitation sent by email. We got a free dinner (dell networking event) the night before interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Basic data structure, string manipulation, pointers. Since I learned about these during freshmen year, I pretty much forgot most of these when I was interviewed. I didn't review because I thought first round should be HR, but I was wrong...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dell in October 2014.

The whole process takes an awful lot of time! 5 weeks and then a generic message saying it will take longer. Interview questions are easy. 2:1 for full time positions. There was a networking event the night before the interview was scheduled. Felt good to meet with the recruiters and talk to them about their experience working at Dell.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral questions. The technical questions were related to data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dell.

1st round: I was contacted by a manager of one of their software dev teams to do phone screening which took about 30 mins. The manager spent 15 mins talking about the project that her group was working on, then she asked about my background. Very class HR questions. Got scheduled for a technical phone screen.

2nd round: The technical phone screen was pretty easy, basic data structure such as Stack, Queue, Graph (no coding, only discussed the use and time complexity). One question involving threads in Java which caught me off guard, but the interviewer gave me hint.

Never heard back from them after the 2nd round, they might move on with other candidates. I feel a little bit disappointed since they did not even bother replying my follow-up email to ask for the status.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you are writing a test script to test a function running in a process over night. How do you make sure that if the process is halted, your test function will be able to detect that.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Was flown in for college interviews along with 50 or so other people. First we were taken out on the town and treated to dinner. We spent the night on the Hyatt by the river, which was nice.

On the day of the interview, we first talked to the HR recruiter, then we were interviewed in a large room where there were many hiring managers present. What happened next was very similar to speed dating.

Each interviewee had an assigned seat, where they were interviewed by their assigned potential manager to be. Every 30 minutes, the managers would all rotate seats (musical chairs style) and talk to their next potential candidate.

Each manager had hiring authority, so if one guy liked you, you were in. I had 3 interviews that day, so in theory could have gotten 3 separate offers.

Interview Questions
    • The manager that hired me just wanted to know what I like to do on the weekends b/c my resume already showed that I had technical knowledge. Other managers asked me to tell them everything I knew about BIOS programming, which was zero.   View Answer
    I got an offer that was higher than I expected, so I took it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dell in August 2012.

one phone interview asking all the details on the resume.
    get response inviting for onsite in one week.

On site interview:
    interviewed with five engineers. All technical questions. not so difficult.

compensation not competitive

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Dell in October 2011.

I was interviewed by an older hiring manager. The only thing resembling a technical interview was him asking me to rate myself on various programming languages. He then spent the rest of the time talking about how he was overbooked for the day and that he had lunch in my hometown once.

Interview Questions
    • Rate yourself from 1-10 on <insert programming language>?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dell in January 2011.

Was asked about previous work experience, about the details of the previous projects. Then was asked some general questions about object-oriented design and principles. Also, had several questions about algorithms and data structures, was asked about implementation of various trees. Then was asked about software development lifecycle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dell in September 2008.

I received a call for a phone screen 3-days after posting to a position. The manager did a skills interview and a review of the position. A week later a group interview was scheduled. First couple of interviewers were standard, with no goofy questions. The third interviewer was from another department that had absolutely no involvement with the group I was interviewing for, and he had no questions for me. I questioned him about his position and how this group would help his group, but he had no feedback. We spoke about the company culture and wrapped up the whole thing in 10 minutes. The third person would have been a peer. His stated concern was that this position was created to eliminate other positions in the department.

Interview Questions
    • So you are here to eliminate our jobs?   View Answer
    • I don't work with these guys and have no idea what I am doing in this interview, so I don't have any questions for you.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dell in September 2008.

There was an initial screening. This was a phone screen. General questions were asked based on my resume such as to list an experience where something went wrong , an experience where I demonstrated exceptional ability I am proud of and so on.
    Heard back from them in about a week and onsite interviews were scheduled. There were 3 1:1 sessions onsite and I met the manager of the team alongside the members for a group chat. The interviews were straightforward and easy. Heard back from them 2 days later

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current position at ***. What are the problems faced by you there?   Answer Question