Dell Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dell (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

Campus interview, applied through university career center. The interviewer was kind and patient. We talked about my past projects and he also asked some design pattern question. I think I did a good job but no response after the interview even though I emailed the recruiter twice. After 2 months, I received a short email saying they would not move forward my candidacy.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dell

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dell.

Interview

Apply on Dell job, had a on campus interview. Two engineering managers asked me questions about my project. Interviewing with Dell is honestly the best interview experience I've ever had. Much better than Google, Microsoft. The people who interviewed me made me feel like they really care, and they are actually trying to see if I am a good fit for a job in Dell. Overall it's a great experience

Interview Questions

Dell Response

Nov 17, 2014 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Dell. We are happy to hear that your experience was so positive. Best of luck to you!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was asked for technical interviews with two different groups, no HR part involved so far. Applied through university. Interview invitation sent by email. We got a free dinner (dell networking event) the night before interview day.

Interview Questions

• Basic data structure, string manipulation, pointers. Since I learned about these during freshmen year, I pretty much forgot most of these when I was interviewed. I didn't review because I thought first round should be HR, but I was wrong...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dell in October 2014.

Interview

The whole process takes an awful lot of time! 5 weeks and then a generic message saying it will take longer. Interview questions are easy. 2:1 for full time positions. There was a networking event the night before the interview was scheduled. Felt good to meet with the recruiters and talk to them about their experience working at Dell.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions. The technical questions were related to data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dell (San Jose, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied with my resume through the career center of my school. I honestly did expect they were going to call me, however somehow got an interview a or so week later. The interview took place at my University and was about 30 min. all technical questions. After that I received an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Simple data structures questions (diff. between stack and a queue) and questions about my school projects   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dell (Austin, TX).

Interview

1st round: I was contacted by a manager of one of their software dev teams to do phone screening which took about 30 mins. The manager spent 15 mins talking about the project that her group was working on, then she asked about my background. Very class HR questions. Got scheduled for a technical phone screen. 2nd round: The technical phone screen was pretty easy, basic data structure such as Stack, Queue, Graph (no coding, only discussed the use and time complexity). One question involving threads in Java which caught me off guard, but the interviewer gave me hint. Never heard back from them after the 2nd round, they might move on with other candidates. I feel a little bit disappointed since they did not even bother replying my follow-up email to ask for the status.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you are writing a test script to test a function running in a process over night. How do you make sure that if the process is halted, your test function will be able to detect that.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was flown in for college interviews along with 50 or so other people. First we were taken out on the town and treated to dinner. We spent the night on the Hyatt by the river, which was nice. On the day of the interview, we first talked to the HR recruiter, then we were interviewed in a large room where there were many hiring managers present. What happened next was very similar to speed dating. Each interviewee had an assigned seat, where they were interviewed by their assigned potential manager to be. Every 30 minutes, the managers would all rotate seats (musical chairs style) and talk to their next potential candidate. Each manager had hiring authority, so if one guy liked you, you were in. I had 3 interviews that day, so in theory could have gotten 3 separate offers.

Interview Questions

• The manager that hired me just wanted to know what I like to do on the weekends b/c my resume already showed that I had technical knowledge. Other managers asked me to tell them everything I knew about BIOS programming, which was zero.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got an offer that was higher than I expected, so I took it!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

one phone interview asking all the details on the resume. get response inviting for onsite in one week. On site interview: interviewed with five engineers. All technical questions. not so difficult.

compensation not competitive

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dell (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by an older hiring manager. The only thing resembling a technical interview was him asking me to rate myself on various programming languages. He then spent the rest of the time talking about how he was overbooked for the day and that he had lunch in my hometown once.

Interview Questions

• Rate yourself from 1-10 on <insert programming language>?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

Was asked about previous work experience, about the details of the previous projects. Then was asked some general questions about object-oriented design and principles. Also, had several questions about algorithms and data structures, was asked about implementation of various trees. Then was asked about software development lifecycle.