Dell

Updated Apr 12, 2014

2.9

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dell.

1st round: I was contacted by a manager of one of their software dev teams to do phone screening which took about 30 mins. The manager spent 15 mins talking about the project that her group was working on, then she asked about my background. Very class HR questions. Got scheduled for a technical phone screen.

2nd round: The technical phone screen was pretty easy, basic data structure such as Stack, Queue, Graph (no coding, only discussed the use and time complexity). One question involving threads in Java which caught me off guard, but the interviewer gave me hint.

Never heard back from them after the 2nd round, they might move on with other candidates. I feel a little bit disappointed since they did not even bother replying my follow-up email to ask for the status.

Interview Questions
  • Suppose you are writing a test script to test a function running in a process over night. How do you make sure that if the process is halted, your test function will be able to detect that.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Dell

Software Engineer Interview

Was flown in for college interviews along with 50 or so other people. First we were taken out on the town and treated to dinner. We spent the night on the Hyatt by the river, which was nice.

On the day of the interview, we first talked to the HR recruiter, then we were interviewed in a large room where there were many hiring managers present. What happened next was very similar to speed dating.

Each interviewee had an assigned seat, where they were interviewed by their assigned potential manager to be. Every 30 minutes, the managers would all rotate seats (musical chairs style) and talk to their next potential candidate.

Each manager had hiring authority, so if one guy liked you, you were in. I had 3 interviews that day, so in theory could have gotten 3 separate offers.

Interview Questions
    • The manager that hired me just wanted to know what I like to do on the weekends b/c my resume already showed that I had technical knowledge. Other managers asked me to tell them everything I knew about BIOS programming, which was zero.   View Answer
    I got an offer that was higher than I expected, so I took it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in August 2012.

one phone interview asking all the details on the resume.
    get response inviting for onsite in one week.

On site interview:
    interviewed with five engineers. All technical questions. not so difficult.

compensation not competitive

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Dell in January 2011.

Was asked about previous work experience, about the details of the previous projects. Then was asked some general questions about object-oriented design and principles. Also, had several questions about algorithms and data structures, was asked about implementation of various trees. Then was asked about software development lifecycle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

The process took a day - interviewed at Dell in October 2011.

I was interviewed by an older hiring manager. The only thing resembling a technical interview was him asking me to rate myself on various programming languages. He then spent the rest of the time talking about how he was overbooked for the day and that he had lunch in my hometown once.

Interview Questions
    • Rate yourself from 1-10 on <insert programming language>?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in September 2008.

There was an initial screening. This was a phone screen. General questions were asked based on my resume such as to list an experience where something went wrong , an experience where I demonstrated exceptional ability I am proud of and so on.
    Heard back from them in about a week and onsite interviews were scheduled. There were 3 1:1 sessions onsite and I met the manager of the team alongside the members for a group chat. The interviews were straightforward and easy. Heard back from them 2 days later

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current position at ***. What are the problems faced by you there?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Round Rock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in September 2008.

I received a call for a phone screen 3-days after posting to a position. The manager did a skills interview and a review of the position. A week later a group interview was scheduled. First couple of interviewers were standard, with no goofy questions. The third interviewer was from another department that had absolutely no involvement with the group I was interviewing for, and he had no questions for me. I questioned him about his position and how this group would help his group, but he had no feedback. We spoke about the company culture and wrapped up the whole thing in 10 minutes. The third person would have been a peer. His stated concern was that this position was created to eliminate other positions in the department.

Interview Questions
    • So you are here to eliminate our jobs?   View Answer
    • I don't work with these guys and have no idea what I am doing in this interview, so I don't have any questions for you.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Banga (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Banga (India)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Dell in December 2013.

Written test, followed by 3 technical rounds, 1 hr round. Written test was online, questions were from operating systems, software engineering, networks, computer architecture, aptitude. In technical rounds questions were to test your basic understanding of computer subjects, coding questions were asked.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Dell.

Completely based on what you put on your resume. When I was interviewed the main question was whether I knew what position I was applying for and what are the processes that are currently involved in it. I've shown immense interest in the company and did a bit research on the position I'm applying for. Most of the questions were Technical which are involved in the job position we are applying for.

Interview Questions
    • As I was a Fresher when I was applying, most of them were from my Projects I handled at Uninversity level and From Internships I've done.   Answer Question
    Be Confident, Honest and Passionate. The job will be you really think you deserve it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dell in June 2013.

Through campus placement
    -written test
    -Technical round
    -Hr round

Interview Questions
    • name parts Of CPU and their locations,installation of java,NERO software versions,RAM n ROM differences,Diff btw 32 bit and 64 bit, diff btw windows XP and 7   Answer Question

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!