Dell

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Storage Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dell.

Interview Details – Started out well. The recruiter contacted me and responded to my questions. I was set up for a tech interview. The tech interview was pleasant and I answered all of the questions. The next step was to be an onsite.

Two weeks passed and I sent an email to the recruiter for feedback. At this point she was no longer returning my calls which is rude but typical. A week passed and then she wrote me saying that the interview went well and the she would be letting me know what the next steps were to be. A day later I got a generated form letter saying that I was rejected. Needless to say the recruiter ignored my subsequent email asking for clarification.

While this sort of arrogance is common I think that Dell is hardly a major player in professional services and frankly, their hardware is flimsy. The buyer's market may allow for such shenanigans but the tide is turning and the demographics of the American workforce is shifting. Soon enough it will be a seller's market again and I for one will not forget how I was treated by potential employers.

Interview Question – None. The questions were straight forward.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Dell in May 2013.

Interview Details – Went through a recruiter who scheduled the phone interview. It took approximately 30 minutes, with 3 engineers of the team on the call. The questions were mostly technical and not much else. It was difficult to understand some of the questions because the interviewer has an accent and the call quality was not great at the time.

Interview Question – Question about provisioning of SSD.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dell in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process is very fast; 1 phone interview, next week in-person interview.
Solid technical interview; Easy for technically sound engineers.

Interview Question – If you are expert in appropriate job related skills.
just refersh on C, C++, algorithms and relevant
HW skills.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offered a one level lower grade engineering position than current
grade level at current employer; Dell is conservative on job
designations or pay/benefits that comes with that designation.
They offer very good salary initially but one gets stuck at this level
for long; Overall Dell offer balances with current offer on long run.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!