Dell

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Java Developer - Dell Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in April 2014.

A recruiter from Dell contacted me over Linkedin and showcased a Java Developer position with Dell Services. She was very accurate and precise with all the information she provided me and the information she asked me to provide. After the preliminary conversation she scheduled a meeting for a telephone technical interview.
    The interview was very polite and clear while asking questions. He staged the interview in a good manner we started of with core Java concepts, then moved to J2EE web Application concepts, then moved to spring framework and specifically web flow. Interviewer was very calm in listening to answers and provided enough room to explain my self. Question were direct and relevant to the Job Description. Technical interview was a good experience for me.
    Once I completed this round, recruiter contacted me saying that I have been selected for the second round. Second round was a telephonic interview with the Hiring Manager. This conversation went more than an hour where in the first half he asked me about my experience as a Developer and a team player. What are the areas I am good at and what are the areas I would like to work on (this rarely happens with any interview). Later half of the interview was he describing me the position for which they are hiring and explained a sunny day and a rainy day in their team.
    Post the second interview the recruiter contacted me and said that no further rounds are there and I have been selected for the Job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in specific I remember which was difficult from my perspective.   Answer Question

The base salary offered was not what I was expecting and at the same time Dell was very firm with what they have to offer. I respectfully denied the offer but the overall experience was win for me.

Inside Sales Representative IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in June 2014.

I was referred by an employee of Dell. I believe that is how most people are hired. I had phone interview, I believe it was mostly to see how I could communicate. After phone interview, I was immediately asked to come in for a face-to-face. I interviewed with three managers and a trainer. After that, I had to do some online training and fill out a personality test. Then do a drug test. Finally, I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    They do not negotiate salary

Product Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Dell in May 2013.

I had eight formal interviews and two informal. The technical questions were too easy. They were so easy I figured the person doing the interview didn't understand what she was asking.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to go into detail about my non-technical past. Mentoring, education, personal life, etc.   Answer Question
    I was offered a good amount and was told that was going to be a take it or leave it offer. I declined and had another offer within 24 hours that increased 15%. I took the second offer.

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dell in June 2010.

The interview process is fairly fundamental and effective as long as the applicant listens closely to the questions and follows the instructions. The key is to answer questions using real past experience. They are not trick questions, they are simply set up so the applicant can share historical facts instead of tomorrow's theory.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you had multiple high priority deadlines approaching and you realized you could not make them all nor make everyone happy. What did you do? How did it turn out?"   Answer Question

Help Desk I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Dell.

I got interviewed by 2 people. They meet you in special meeting rooms in the lobby because of how secured the place is, that way you also don't get to see the sad faces in cubicleland that will soon be your neighbors.

Interview Questions
    • Not too difficult of an interview. Just tell them you love saying the same 3 minute speech 150 times a day and they'll probably hire you.   Answer Question
    They don't negotiate for this position. They have a standard wage dictated by a government contract.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell.

Varies greatly by manager. Some managers will want to do a mock customer meeting. Some will simply be similar to most companies about you and your past and how it fits the current role. Most interviews are one interview/meeting only when you are an external candidate. Internal interviews can go several rounds depending on the role.

Interview Questions
    Dell will negotiate depending on experience / previous pay at similar company. Always ask for more money from Dell. They will pay for about 50% of the time.

Continual Service Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dell in January 2010.

The interviews are hard. All of the interview questions are situational questions (Tell me about a time when). I recommend having 6 or 7 different examples of situations where you demonstrated ability to prioritize your work, engage others, innovate, adapt, drive strategy, etc. Example of question: Tell me about a time when you were assigned numerous priorities by multiple leaders, who all stressed the importance of their own projects. How did you prioritize your assignments? What steps did you take to inform the leaders of their individual project updates?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had negative input from your stakeholders as a result of a decision you made. How did you manage this situation?   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate. I feel the offer was very fair so I accepted.

Inside Sales Representative II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in August 2011.

Submitted resume via an employee friend. Filled out application online. Was called that week. Had 1 phone interview with hiring manager. Had a 2nd phone interview the next day with 6 people (they were all in the same room).

Interview Questions
    Salary was not negotiable. Offer base was low compared to industry, but higher than my peers in my training class. Commission was draw-draw-settle, which I have always disliked.

Inside Sales II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Dell in May 2010.

Pretty simple process. Mostly standard interview questions. No curve balls. Started with a phone interview which lead to a 1-1 interview. At the time they seemed to hire quite a few people and weed out the ones that did not preform well. Now with the company going private and the company focus shifting I imagine the interview process will be a little bit more grueling.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time that you made an unpopular decision.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Base salary, commission and SPIFFS.

Inside Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dell in June 2012.

Initially contacted by HR recruiter, setting up interview. Went in for interview with a few guys. They asked 15 minutes worth of questions, then asked me to try to sell them something. A few days after the interview, the HR recruiter called me and extended the offer.

Interview Questions
    • The "Pitch" - try to sell them something, a random object in the room. They may tell you to pick something, or they may ask for an object in particular. Or it may even be something that's not in the room, such as one of their products. Be familiar with the product line for the position you are interviewing for.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. Offer was decent.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!