Deloitte

Deloitte Audit Intern Interview Questions

2.8

60 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Audit Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in February 2013.

Interview consisted of three interviews. A interview with a partner was the first round and an interview with a partner and a manager was the second.

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

1. Campus career fair - Spoke with one of the audit managers for some time. I applied online through the campus career center as requested and was accepted for an on-campus interview.

2. Pre-Interview Social - Deloitte invited all candidates to a social before the on-campus interviews. We all sat at tables with a Deloitte employee sitting at each table. It was a great opportunity to ask questions and learn about the company. It was a very relaxed evening.

3. On-Campus Interview - This was 30 minutes. I interviewed with an audit manager. Some behavorial questions, but the rest was mostly open for me to ask questions. After this I was accepted for the office visit. It took about a week to get that.

4. Pre-Office Visit Dinner - The night before the office visit there was a dinner at a nice restaurant. Only Deloitte staff and seniors were present (no partners). I felt very comfortable asking anything. This dinner went for about 2 hours.

5. Office Visit - The visit went for about 5 hours. There was an hour for breakfast and a general presentation given by one of the partners. The we went for two back-to-back interviews. One was with a manager and another with a partner. They were both basically me asking questions. They had a couple questions based on my resume, but only a couple. I lead both interviews by asking them questions and having conversation. Then we did an office tour given by some of the staff. After that we went to lunch with the staff that gave us the tours. Again, it was another nice restaurant. I sat with 2 staff and another candidate. The candidate was intent on controlling most of the conversation--it was really forced. I relaxed and interjected where it seemed to be appropriate (went for quality no quantity). After lunch, it was back to the office for another interview with a manager. Again, this was mostly me asking questions. Then we were dismissed.

6. Follow-Up - I received a phone call the same day a couple hours after the office visit. The partner I interviewed with called me and offered me the job.

My Observations...

There are many misconceptions about the Big 4. The staff are the best people to clear this up. Everyone at Deloitte is seriously motivated and proud of what they do and who they work for. They are company people and put clients first. Everyone was very nice and aimiable.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate. The offer was more than competitive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

First round interview:

They did not have much of a presence at my school as the other Big 4 firms did. They shared a waiting room with PwC, which had 4-5 greeters and Deloitte had none.

My interviewer was extremely nice and made it pretty casual. It was extremely behavioral. The behavioral questions were set up into 4 different categories which were to show your leadership skills, communication skills, and two other skills that I can't recall. There was nothing extremely tough. Very situational, "tell me about a time..." The interviewer also took brief notes about each of my answers.

Supposed to hear back within 1-2 weeks about second rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a challenge you have overcome while working on a group project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in November 2012.

The interview process for students is extensive. It consists of spring and summer socials, online applications, 1st round campus interviews and 2nd round office interviews. Students should keep in mind that the real leg work, if they want to land an offer, is done primarily in the spring and summer. Many of the big four firms will already have an idea of most of the people they want to pass through to their second round interviews before they even interview on campus. They will keep a few slots for students that are on the edge or that flew under the radar. However, you will significantly raise your chances of landing 1st and 2nd round interviews by reaching out to recruiters and professionals ahead of time during the summer.

Leverage your school's career services and alumni network to gain the proper contacts, set up meetings and then follow up with the professionals that you meet. Build quality relationships with a few employees at each level of the firm (especially senior and manager level) rather than just trying to meet everyone you possibly can at networking events. When you make quality connections, those people will vouch for you in the interview selection process.

Interview Questions
    • They may ask you to describe your leadership style which can be challenging for people. Don't just say you lead by example without expanding, or else the interviewer might just take this as "I'm not really a leader." All of the questions are pretty normal behavioral questions. Hardly any curve balls or technical questions.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase only happens if you have multiple offers and it is pretty minimal. You have to tell the companies what the others have offered you and usually it is not related to intern wages but instead things like a rotation abroad or a crossover internship between audit, tax and advisory. If you do not have multiple offers you have no leverage and you accept, because any internship is a great opportunity.

The tricky part is that if you get an offer at the end of your internship you will not have any other offers to compare your salary to, or negotiate with. Deloitte offered at 48,500 which was competitive with the other companies, but we didn't know this at the time we had to accept. 0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in November 2012.

Campus recruiting and presentation, Deloitte leadership conference at DU, first round interviews on campus and second round interviews in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had trouble portraying a message to someone and how did you handle the conflict?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Deloitte in November 2012.

1st round on campus was relatively easy, they flew a manager down from SF to LA and so the interview was really easy. The 2nd round in SF was with one manger and one partner. Both were pretty conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were trying to achieve something and you faced something that got in the way of getting it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in October 2012.

Basic behavioral on-campus interview that led to a superday at the firm. During the superday I was interviewed by 2 partners and shown the office and taken out to lunch by a relatively new hire. Overall great experience, they notified me with a few hours after the interview to let me know that I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Just general behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected.
      - Walk me through your resume
      - Give me your 30 sec pitch

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte in May 2012.

Campus interview was pretty easy. I was at a target school and probably >50% of applicants got campus interviews, and the majority of campus interviews got office interviews.

At the office visit, the first interview was pretty relaxed and mostly an opportunity for me to ask questions. Right at the beginning of my second office interview that day, with the partner, they extended the offer. It was nice to have the pressure out of the way at that point, and we went out for a very nice lunch ($90 w/o alcohol).

All of the Big 4 are very similar- they treat you very well for a campus hire and bring out all the wow things, and the offers they give for a given market are almost exactly the same. My EY offer was literally within 3 cents per hour, same signing bonus, etc. Ultimately it was the people and overall feel of the visit that made me choose one firm over the other, and either choice would have been a good one.

Interview Questions
    • There we no technical questions that I remember, but they asked several times for experiences I had on teams and how I had learned to contribute or resolve conflicts. Almost any answer is acceptable, they want to see how you communicate and whether you are confident and positive about the experience. Practice telling concise and relevant stories.

I was also surprised at times at how much time they gave ME to ask questions in the interview. I had prepared a few to ask, but if I did it again I would have a large list of potential questions because they gave me many opportunities to ask them and it seems unprofessional when you don't have anything to ask.

Answer Question
    For campus hires there isn't really a salary negotiation, recruiters and school representatives made that clear before we flew out. Since I had two offers, I got Deloitte to agree to let me choose which clients to work on during the internship as an added bonus (everybody gets to ask for preferred clients or industries, but they gave me slightly special treatment in order to make the offer sweeter than EY's without changing the pay).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2012.

They were very friendly. They took all of the applicants out to dinner before hand so that we would feel comfortable in our interview. It was easy to apply for an interview, all you had to do was enter your resume. The day following the dinner were the interviews. You had an interview with a partner and then with a Senior.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time where you displayed leadership qualities and used them to reach a goal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte in March 2012.

This was a great internship to learn about public accounting. I got in touch with Deloitte through my college and started the interview process there. I had to write a cover letter and send my resume and transcript. I then had an on campus interview where the questions were standard, not too difficult. A manager interviewed me and mainly questioned me about my experience on my resume. There were a couple of behavioral questions that were not too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest questions asked were the behavioral questions as the questions about my resume were pretty simple.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate, standard offer