Deloitte

Average Difficulty
119 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with one 1:1 Behavioral interview and one 1:1 case interview. Second rounds were a 2:1 case interview

Interview Question – It was a business case, difficult, several parts   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Deloitte in September 2013.

Interview Details – I got the interview because a senior partner recommended me for it. Any partner in good standing can arrange for you to get past the resume screeners for an interview.

First, there was a screening interview over the phone. This went very well, with normal interview questions about my background and the expectation that I would ask 2-3 questions about Deloitte. The point was to see if you can hold a conversation and act professionally.

Then, there were two first round interviews, a behavioral and a case interview. I also did well on the behavioral interview. I prepared by getting the top interview question list from my CSO and making notecards with the interview question on the front and my desired response on the back. I came up with about 20-25 notecards. This strategy worked well. There was only one question that I didn't see coming and I was able to give a few really solid answers to the ones I had prepped. On the last question, the interviewer even said: "Wow. That was a fantastic answer." :)

Where I ran into trouble was the case interview. My preparation was not well-suited to the interview. This was an interviewer-led case interview. After the initial prompt, there were 6 specific questions that the interviewer posed to me. Some were: "Given X, what factors would you consider in making your recommendations." But the ones that really killed me were the math questions. There were two of them. YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE MATH BEFORE THE CASE INTERVIEW. What is 20,000 times 60? What is 300 times 50? What is 50 million times 20? You have to be able to do these calculations quickly and confidently. Moreoever, you have to be able to do them consistently because one mistake can screw you over. Otherwise, before you know it you're stumbling and bumbling and you have lost the interview.

Bottom Line: The case interview is EXACTLY like Deloitte says it is on their website, just with harder math.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you brainstormed in a team environment.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in January 2013.

Interview Details – Be very prepared for case interview questions. Use their website to review. The case interviews are not terribly difficult but you need to practice them in order to get the flow and structure of the questions down. Process is pretty simple. First round two case interviews. Second round is 3 cases.

Interview Question – The business cases.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details – Recruited at an on campus information session. Application was very basic with no cover letter required. GPA requirement was a 3.4. Interview included two rounds on one day. First round was a thirty minute case and a thirty minute personality profile. There was no set order for these two interviews. Second interview was a sixty minute case / stress test.

Interview Question – Hard to explain, but asked to explain a graphic that I did not understand.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Generous salary offer for an undergraduate candidate.

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details – 2 Rounds - 1st Round interview with Team Lead (Cultural fit), 2nd Round was interview with direct manager on general business analysis skills

Interview Question – How do you estimate the average number of travellers to Changi Airport?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process turnaround time was fast - less than 2 weeks, which was a great contrast to the other management consulting firms I interviewed with. The interviewers were friendly and respectful, they didn't play games or try to intimidate.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation in work or school where you faced an ethical dilemma and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I interviewed at Deloitte in May 2013.

Interview Details – *The interview process was okay. The people were nice, but the case interviewer was a bit rude. It was rushed, and there was no feedback. The interviewer was on his computer sending emails and so on and I felt like I didn't receive the attention I deserved.

Interview Question – Behavioral: what is the similarity between a milk carton and a plane seat   View Answers (4)

Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in August 2013.

Interview Details – Received initial interview through a friend and proceeded to have first phone interview with a recruiter. About two weeks later, I spoke with a manager over the phone for 30 minutes and then scheduled my final interview about 3 weeks later.
It was roughly 3 hours at the Arlington (Rosslyn), VA location. The people were very professional, quick and down to business. The in person consisted of a final behavioral with a director, and two case studies with two different consultants.

I sent thank you letters and about two weeks later, I was asked to submit my initial background check application. I know for a fact that this was not what eliminated me as I've done Federal checks before. About 3 weeks later, I was told that I was not extended an offer.

Overall, very quick and efficient recruiting process. My recruiter was there to answer questions throughout.

Interview Question – First case question threw me off as I may have been nervous. It was along the lines of; A postal client wants to perform %100 scanning capability of their packages and mail. They have 13 different locations. How do you go about implementing %100 scan rate and therefore higher rate of customer satisfaction. I was presented with a sheet of different package volumes for 3 locations after I concluded that 13 locations may be too much and they must choose to consolidate.   View Answer

Business Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details – The first round interview involves a 30 minute case interview as well as a 30 minute fit interview. The case interviewer was fairly tough in terms of the expected answer, but the fit interviewer was very comfortable and receptive.

Interview Question – Was asked to assign the axes of a graph showing product performance   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not love to culture the company presented to me. It seemed a little cut-and-dry and serious.

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2013.

Interview Details – There are two parts to the first round interview, one case and one "fit" interview. Deloitte's cases are different than many of the other big firms, in that there are multiple parts and one "right answer" that you're supposed to get to on each part. The interview was not nearly as open ended as I anticipated, and the interviewer was relatively unhelpful in guiding me when I get stuck. Overall did not go very well, and I did not receive an offer for the second round. The "fit" part is very relaxed, and is more a conversation than anything else. Case interviewer was a Senior Consultant, while the "fit" interviewer was lower level.

Interview Question – Question was about advising a global pharmaceutical company on a new drug roll-out in Europe.   Answer Question

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!