Deloitte

3.1

130 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Writer - Internal and Proposals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in February 2014.

I enjoyed my conversations with everyone at Deloitte! They took me through quite a lengthy interview process, beginning with the initial conversation with a recruiter in the third week of January and ending with live interviews the third week of February. The entire process, commencing late one night with a correspondence between me and the recruiter reviewing my application, lasted 35 days. For an initial phone interview, the recruiter asked me to comprehensively detail my experience with proposal writing, the culture and size dynamics of the groups with which I worked at my previous firm, and the feelings and experiences that drew me to apply to Deloitte. She and I then worked together via E-mail to organize additional phone interviews with a Tax Manager and a Proposal Lead for the coming weeks. The Tax Manager pursued the interview as a natural conversation, while the Proposal Lead asked friendly but pointed questions ("Just going into a little more depth with your proposals experience - Would you copy and paste templates, or would you write original language for cover letters and executive summaries?"). I was also asked by the recruiter to provide a narrative account of my work experiences over the last seven years with any blanks justified and to complete a second application. Another week passed before I was invited into the office for live interviews with three women, all occupying very different roles, on a concrete, inflexible date when I also happened to have other interviews with a competitor firm. The first two interviews lasted just over thirty minutes each, and were a healthy mix of natural conversation ("My husband and I completely eschew social media") and addressing some questions about my experience and long-term goals. The final interview was a 2.5 hour conversation addressing everything that's ever been under the moon and then some. All of the conversations were great.

Eight days later, I received the standard rejection via E-mail: "While your background and experience are good, we have identified other candidates whose experience more closely match our needs at this time."

Interview Questions
    • "What interests you about this role?" It was a difficult question because each interviewing party had very different ideas about what the role would entail. I was informed during the live interviews that I would receive a different explanation of the role from everyone because it was "not really defined," and is rather "what the person in it makes of it." At times, I worried that I might be offering an answer that would jibe with one party's sense of the ideal candidate's traits but sharply conflict with another's, simply because there wasn't an expressed consensus among the interviewers of what the role would entail and, therefore, what skills were best suited to it.   Answer Question

Corporate Finance Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deloitte in February 2014.

First round was a phone interview with two associates. Both very kind, and simple technical questions (how would you value this hypothetical company?). Second round was Superday at their office in Chicago. Pre-superday dinner, then next day 5 interviews (30min each). One interview was purely technical, asking to look at financial statements and calculate various metric (FCF, working capital, etc). Know your basic IB technicals and you'll be fine. Then lunch with the team. All over a great time, with a really great team. Bummed I didn't get an offer, but seemed like a great place to work. Very kind people.

Interview Questions
    • How would you value X company? Calculate FCF, working capital, enterprise value, etc. Does anything strike you as odd about these financial statements? Which? Why?   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Deloitte in February 2014.

First round interviews were conducted on campus. You have two interviews, one with a partner and one with an associate. One is supposed to be behavioral questions and one is just a conversation. Both interviewers seemed disinterested and acted as though they were supperior to me which was especially offputing. Unsuprisingly, I was not invited to a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. What industry do you want to go into? Tell us about a time where you had to work with a difficult group.   Answer Question

Senior Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Deloitte.

It was a completely unfair interview. The recruiter called and did a behavioral interview right on the spot without giving me a chance to prepare myself. Then she set up two more phone interviews for the same day and the day after one of which was a case interview. Both of my interviewers were impressed with me and they both said that they would definitely suggest me for an on site interview. But after a week the recruiter called (after I sent her a message) and said they have decided to move on with other applicants and when I asked for the reason, she just said we had a lot of competitive applicants.

Real Estate Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

Applied online and then got email for phone interview invitation. After passed phone interview, went on a office visit for 1-1 interview. Got the result back one week after office visit

Business Valuation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in January 2014.

I applied through campus recruiting. The first round was on campus behavioral interview with two professionals back to back. Thirty minutes each. The week after got an invitation to the on-site interview in Chicago by phone. On-site interview included four behavioral interviews back to back with directors or partners. Thirty minutes each.

Interview Questions
    Didn't negotiate. Don't take the offer if you have one from another big company.

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Very easy, only on telephone. Two interviews and hired.

there was no negotiation. It was a set rate per hour.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte in November 2013.

Networking is pivotal in order to get a interview. They receive a high volume of applications every hiring cycle. These events are campus info sessions.To leave a strong impression have two-three questions prepared and one story showcases a unique skill set you have. remember life is one big story and if you cant share one why would they want you to represent them

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte.

Got a call from my career center at my school and was told I got an Interview with Deloitte for the Winter Business valuation Internship. It was an On-Campus Interview and I had Two 1:1 Interviews. Very nice people and easy to talk too. Mainly they asked behavioral questions and of course "tell me about yourself."

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to go beyond the "call of duty."   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Thorough, multi-step process. Typical phone screening process for determining basic knowledge and skill fit to open HR position. Next recruiter, did basic interview over phone. Information was gathered about all past positions and detailed, specifics for each HR competency. A week later, recruiter scheduled a in person interview with the functional area director and HR lead.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral-based interview questions to determine job fit. Toughest question asked: what have your enemies said about you and why?   Answer Question
    Reasonable process. Give and take approach.