Deloitte Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

3.2

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online (I currently work in this field for a competitor) for a consultant position within the Human Capital Practice: Organization, Transformation & Talent Group. Within a week a I heard from a recruiter, who setup a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Basic questions about my background, current employer, and reasons for applying to Deloitte. Lasted 30 mins, was pretty straight forward. Just be confident in your answers.

A day later I was contacted for another phone interview, this time with a Sr. Manager from the office I indicated I wanted to work from. I really appreciated that Deloitte made the effort to get someone from this office, as it is not in one of their major cities

Technical Phone Interview: Asked me about my experiences within change management consulting. He would ask me to explain things in more detail, and drill down into my examples. Advice is to again be confident, have lots of examples of the work you have done on hand, and be able to frame your examples (size of team/project, budget, what you did, results, etc).

A few days later I was invited to in-person interviews. Deloitte flew me out on a Thursday night, and back Friday afternoon. The format was 1 case and 2 behavioral. To prep, I walked through Deloitte's case prep online, made sure I had solid experiences to share for about 5 different types of questions, and had a good "story" to tell about why Deloitte and why I wanted to switch.

Case: Very straightforward. I was given the paper with the case on it. Focus was on an ERP implementation. I took my time to organize an initial response and explained how I setup/grouped the info (Strategy, opportunities, challenges). The interviewer walked me through the case, asking questions and followup questions. Key advice is to link everything back to the strategy, bring in ideas not in the case, and be able to come up with how "your" services will add value (+profit or -cost) to the company.

Behavioral: 2 separate interviews. Very similar. Be able to have solid examples that show a variety of experiences. Be personable, that is what consulting is about. Be able to show results and value from your past experiences.

Afterwards I followed up with emails. Heard back the following Tuesday via a phone call. Took about 2 weeks to work out the offer before I accepted. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and professional. Very impressed overall.

Negotiation

I countered the salary (which was already at the top of the Glassdoor range) and they met me in the middle. Always negotiate. One email that took 10 mins to craft pocketed me a decent sum. Also, don't sound too eager when you are offered, and take your time before writing the counter offer.

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Thank you so much for offering such a helpful and detailed review!

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by one face-face interview. The initial phone interview is basically for HR to ensure you can speak proper English and present yourself articulately over the phone. The face-face interview was a lot less intense than I expected.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were the typical 'walk through your resume', tell us what your biggest accomplishment is, and the typical behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte (Dallas, TX).

Interview

There was an interview on campus and then an office visit. Focused a lot on the culture and my leadership background. The interviewees were partners of the firm and very approachable. They took a holistic approach focusing on all areas including grades, leadership experience, community involvement.

Interview Questions

• How did you tackle a problem in the past during your leadership experience   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

It was 1-on-1. Nothing special or different about it. I met with 3 managers, who asked me assorted questions. They basically had decided, before I got there, they were going to hire me, based on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Just the usual ones: tell us about yourself, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They mad an offer, and I accepted.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

Applied through referral and was called for a pre-screen phone call within a week (are you a citizen, are you ok with travel, etc). Then I was scheduled for an in person 2 weeks later. Interviewed with three people one-on-one: principial, senior consultant and manager. Received response 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• They proposed a hypothetical problem and asked me to resolve it. Each person asked their own questions and they seemed to be making it up as they went along. There wasn't really structure, nor a single question that was asked by all three. From that I got the impression they weren't looking for something specific, mostly personality.   Answer Question

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Employee referrals are a key source of talent for us. The majority of our Deloitte professionals have profiles on LinkedIn. We encourage candidates to check out their networks to see if there is a ... More

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting. The process was very straight forward, Deloitte is very transparent as the evaluate candidates. After applying through my school's career service I was contacted for a first round of interviews - this included two separate pieces. The first piece was a behavioral interview followed by a case. Deloitte evaluates you on every part of your interview, this includes the greeters.
    After I finished the case I was told I would know by 5 PM that day if they wanted me to come back. They called a few hours after I left and asked me to come in the following day.
    The second day was very close to the first in initial structure; greeter, behavior and case. The difference was the amount of time with each person/people, in the second day the case is much more in depth. There is a tool on the Deloitte website that will help you prepare for these cases and I highly recommend using it. Deloitte's cases are not as hard as what most business schools will put you through but they are also given in a unique structure which adds to the difficulty. Be prepared when you go in and make sure you are confidant in your answers, in the qualitative section they are looking not just how you solve the case but also how you process the case. With the quantitative section they want to see how you gather the data just as much as they want to see you answer the question - that said, don't get the wrong answer: prepare for these interviews there are no hidden aspects and because of that Deloitte expects that you've done your homework and can do some basic math with people looking at you.
    After the interviews I was told I would hear back in two weeks. I had gathered all the contact information from the interviewing/greeting members of Deloitte and wrote each short thank you note.
    I revived my final offer exactly two weeks later.
    The overall interview is set up to have a behavior (little or no stress) and a case (mild to moderate stress) to truly gauge if you are the right fit for Deloitte, be yourself and prepare.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you want to work at Deloitte?   1 Answer

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

This is a great synopsis of our consulting campus interview process. You can find additional tips for preparing for the recruiting process on our careers site ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte (Arlington, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

An employee sent in my CV for a specific position back in late November, but I received an email stating that my experience was not a fit for that position and didn't hear anything else for months. I did eventually hear from Deloitte HR in late February, and the process went incredibly fast after that.
    I spoke with a recruiter over the phone, and after discussing my experience she immediately scheduled me to come into the Rosslyn office for a series of three interviews in one day. A week and a half later I went in for the interviews. I stayed in one small room and three employees (manager, senior manager, and principal) rotated around to talk with me.
    There were three interviews: fit, behavioral, and case. The fit and behavioral interviews were very relaxed and mainly revolved around my previous work and how I handled specific situations (how did you handle a situation when your team members did not agree on an issue?). The interviewers were incredibly nice and made me feel immediately at ease. The case interview started a little tense (I was nervous), and they asked me about implementing a new system at a government agency. I wasn't quite expecting this, as I do not have a technical background at all, so make sure you know the SDLC basics. It was a relatively short case, and I relaxed as the interviewer answered my questions.
    It really seemed like the priority was how well you present yourself and how enthusiastic you are about the position and the company. Remember to relax!

Interview Questions

• Case: Talk me through a system implementation at a federal agency.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

3 interviews- 1 behavioral, 2 case. The first case interview was half an hour and with 1 manager. the second round was with 1 partner and a senior manager and lasted an hour.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

For the first round interviews there were two back to back thirty minute interviews, one behavioral interview and one case interview. Applicants were notified that evening about second round interviews, which involved a one hour case interview. The cases were more qualitative than quantitative. All of the interviewers were friendly and pleasant.

Interview Questions

Got an offer somewhere else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. I was initially skeptical as this was for their Federal TS&A sector and my background is not technical. After exchanging a few emails with the recruiter and getting a few things straight I had a quick 20 min phone chat with him that night. We talked about my current duties, past jobs, etc. We also talked about salary expectation. This exact number was repeated back to me later in the process, so be shrewd. I have heard of people who were dropped at this point for giving to high a number, but I am not sure that is true. Either way, give it some thought. I wish I had stalled and thought a number through better, but I still am getting a great offer.

Step 2 was hearing from an internal recruiter who set up a technical interview with a senior manager. This was about a 30 minute talk and was more a "fit" interview than anything revolving around a hard skills test.

Step 3 was a in-person 3 round interview. Case Study with a senior manager, another "fit" interview with a partner and then another technical interview with a different senior manager.

Advice: Don't worry trying to shoe horn yourself into this job. It really felt like it came down to two things: attitude and aptitude. Did they want to work with you and did they think you showed a propensity for learning. Have you done this sort of consulting before? Probably all the better. I had never done a case study interview before and I was really sweating it. I did my homework, but my interviewer was REALLY gracious and was more interested in how I problem solved than whether or not I knew technical jargon.

Negotiation

I am awaiting the official offer, but I do plan on negotiating.