Deloitte

Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.2

221 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

I applied online (I currently work in this field for a competitor) for a consultant position within the Human Capital Practice: Organization, Transformation & Talent Group. Within a week a I heard from a recruiter, who setup a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Basic questions about my background, current employer, and reasons for applying to Deloitte. Lasted 30 mins, was pretty straight forward. Just be confident in your answers.

A day later I was contacted for another phone interview, this time with a Sr. Manager from the office I indicated I wanted to work from. I really appreciated that Deloitte made the effort to get someone from this office, as it is not in one of their major cities

Technical Phone Interview: Asked me about my experiences within change management consulting. He would ask me to explain things in more detail, and drill down into my examples. Advice is to again be confident, have lots of examples of the work you have done on hand, and be able to frame your examples (size of team/project, budget, what you did, results, etc).

A few days later I was invited to in-person interviews. Deloitte flew me out on a Thursday night, and back Friday afternoon. The format was 1 case and 2 behavioral. To prep, I walked through Deloitte's case prep online, made sure I had solid experiences to share for about 5 different types of questions, and had a good "story" to tell about why Deloitte and why I wanted to switch.

Case: Very straightforward. I was given the paper with the case on it. Focus was on an ERP implementation. I took my time to organize an initial response and explained how I setup/grouped the info (Strategy, opportunities, challenges). The interviewer walked me through the case, asking questions and followup questions. Key advice is to link everything back to the strategy, bring in ideas not in the case, and be able to come up with how "your" services will add value (+profit or -cost) to the company.

Behavioral: 2 separate interviews. Very similar. Be able to have solid examples that show a variety of experiences. Be personable, that is what consulting is about. Be able to show results and value from your past experiences.

Afterwards I followed up with emails. Heard back the following Tuesday via a phone call. Took about 2 weeks to work out the offer before I accepted. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and professional. Very impressed overall.

I countered the salary (which was already at the top of the Glassdoor range) and they met me in the middle. Always negotiate. One email that took 10 mins to craft pocketed me a decent sum. Also, don't sound too eager when you are offered, and take your time before writing the counter offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Deloitte.

I was put through a total of 3 interviews, 1) behavioral; 2) short case (30-40 minutes); 3) long case (1 hour).

The interview started the minute I came off the elevator with greeters asking me about myself and discussing their experiences. They mentioned that they would provide input into the hiring process in terms of my ability to create conversation and interact with others. They greeters escorted me to a room where I waited as others were finishing up their round one interviews. I was then escorted to meet a manager who performed the behavioral interview.

Round 1 Interview:

Behavioral Interview - Lasted about 40 minutes and consisted of the manager asking me questions about my resume and experience. It was a simple discussion to learn more about my background and gauge how well I would fit within the firm based on experience and personality.

After time was up, I was escorted immediately to another room, where I was to perform a short case with another manager.

Case Study - The case was not too complex and revolved around a federal client looking to improve their tracking of IT equipment. I was able to apply the framework of People, Process, and Technology to the case and provided my response.

I received a call 3 hours after the initial two interviews and was asked to return the next day for what would be the final interview.

Round 2 Interview:

Case Study (1 hour) - I showed up to the same location as the day before and was escorted to a room where I met with a Deloitte partner. The partner was very nice and went over the premise of the case with me and asked me to solve it. I again broke it into a framework and walked them through my thought process. The partner did challenge some of my responses and asked for clarification. I was able to provide my rationale for each of his questions and he seemed satisfied. i am not sure if he was trying to make me nervous or was generally interested in how I came up with my solution?

I receive an email and a call the next day from the recruiter stating that I would be offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Please breakdown the national budget for me and explain where most of the U.S. tax dollars go. You can use dollars, percentages or fractions for the breakdown.   Answer Question
    I interviewed as part of their campus recruiting effort. Non of the students who I interviewed with were able to negotiate. I attempted but was shot down by the recruiter. We were all offered the same amount, base plus signing bonus.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Deloitte.

I had a call to do a phone screen with talent, then came in to the office for an in person interview (1 hour each with 4 individuals) all in 1 day. Talent gave me a 1 day heads up that my interview will include a case study, which made me question talent's effectiveness.

The interview included a case study, resume review, general questions to learn about my skillsets/experience, and informal discussions to assess culture fit.

Interview Questions
    Original offer was low, but I had an offer from another company during this time. Second offer was higher but still not as high as what I had from the other company.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Deloitte.

Long process. Have something they can use on a project. And talk about future career goals. Know the kinds of clients Deloitte has and also talk about some potential avenues for new business. Be honest and confident. Also realize it is a very competitive culture that is fast paced.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a negotiation. Be happy you have a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Deloitte in February 2014.

I applied online and the process took 1 week - Interviewed at Deloitte in February 2014.

This is the round in Deloitte US Interview:
    -Technical Interview
    -Management Interview
    -Senior Management Interview
    -Aptitude, Logical and Verbal Reasoning Interview

Once you clear the first round, it will not take much time to finish all other rounds. I got the offer in hand within 9 days. Process is very smooth and personnel there is good. If you can find an internal reference will be considered a big plus. Also before hand check how do you stand with aptitude, logical and verbal reasoning tests, there are a lot of products in the market for this. I did use 'the ultimate career interview' app from app store its worthy.

Interview Questions
    • First round and second round are with aptitude interview, and technical questions.   Answer Question
    I got the offer in hand within 9 days.

Consultant Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Deloitte.

A friend passed my resume to a manager she knew and that manager forwarded my resume to a recruiter in Human Resources, who called me for an Initial phone interview. After the preliminary screening, the recruiter set-up onsite interviews with two hiring managers and one senior manager. The managers were cordial and professional and had many years of industry experience. They talked about the requirements and expectations of the position I was interviewing for and looked through my resume and asked questions about my background, experience, and skills. The process was very quick, and they made an offer within two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult or unexpected. I talked about my experience and work I did in my prior jobs and the hiring managers asked some additional questions. They also talked about the requirements and expectations for the job.   Answer Question
    Salary offered was based on initial assessment of my work experience and salary. Also offered a sign-on bonus at the time. Definitely try to research salary for position in advance and negotiate, negotiate.

Consultant Interview

Hired 6 months in advance of graduation. On campus interview with a manager. Then all expenses paid trip to Deloitte office to meet two managers and a Director or Partner.

Little negotiation ability

Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Deloitte in March 2010.

I had two phone interviews. One with the partner, one with the project manager. My contract in DC was won by Deloitte, so after previously working with Deloitte resources, I came over with the new contract with Deloitte. Their resources worked closely with me when I was at a previous employer and they recommended me heavily for the job.

Interview Questions
    • I had a different interview process than most will go through. Basically was a done deal as the partner wanted me to come over.   Answer Question
    Limited negotiation, as I was out of the country when offer letter was sent

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2013.

I had 4 30-minute interviews on campus. I received an offer that same week. Depending on your university, you may have 2 interviews in campus and 2 in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions. Think about working on teams, time management, leadership roles. Most importantly show great communication and your personality.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview process was fairly easy. Had an initial phone screening with the recruiting manager. Got a call the next day to set up a 30 minute phone interview with one of the Manager for a technical interview. This interview was very technical. I didn't know the answers to some of the questions so I informed the Manager and he was okay with that and moved on to the next question.

I got a call from the recruiting manager few days after the technical interview asking me to come in for three on-site interviews. The three on-site interviews consisted of a behavioral, technical, a case study. The technical and behavioral interviews were pretty simple and straight forward. Basic questions like "Tell me about your self", "Where do you see your self in 5 year?", "Tell me your strengths and weaknesses", etc... If you've done interviews before than you should know what to expect and prepare accordingly.

The case study was a little difficult but not too bad as I've had some time to prepare. Look at the case study sample on the website as those will provide you with plenty of practice. They are mainly looking for your thought process so asking lots of relevant questions to keep the conversations flowing is very important. In the end, they will want a recommendation to see how you've come up with the answer. Remember, there will never be one right answer. Case study interviews will be different for each field. Mine was related to an ERP system.

After about 2-3 days, I got a call from the recruiting manager informing me that Deloitte would like to extend an offer. This was more or less an informal offer where the recruiter told me what my expected salary would be. Got an official offer in the email a day or two after with all of the details.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your five strengths and one weakness.   View Answer
    The offer was pretty good but I decided to negotiate it and it worked in my favor. They normally are willing to budge if you try to negotiate 2 to 3 thousand depending on what your initial rate is. Mine was 75K so I negotiated to 78K. I had to relocate for the position so I used that as a leverage. Always negotiate your salary!!

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!