Deloitte

Updated Dec 14, 2014

3.2

240 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

I applied online (I currently work in this field for a competitor) for a consultant position within the Human Capital Practice: Organization, Transformation & Talent Group. Within a week a I heard from a recruiter, who setup a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Basic questions about my background, current employer, and reasons for applying to Deloitte. Lasted 30 mins, was pretty straight forward. Just be confident in your answers.

A day later I was contacted for another phone interview, this time with a Sr. Manager from the office I indicated I wanted to work from. I really appreciated that Deloitte made the effort to get someone from this office, as it is not in one of their major cities

Technical Phone Interview: Asked me about my experiences within change management consulting. He would ask me to explain things in more detail, and drill down into my examples. Advice is to again be confident, have lots of examples of the work you have done on hand, and be able to frame your examples (size of team/project, budget, what you did, results, etc).

A few days later I was invited to in-person interviews. Deloitte flew me out on a Thursday night, and back Friday afternoon. The format was 1 case and 2 behavioral. To prep, I walked through Deloitte's case prep online, made sure I had solid experiences to share for about 5 different types of questions, and had a good "story" to tell about why Deloitte and why I wanted to switch.

Case: Very straightforward. I was given the paper with the case on it. Focus was on an ERP implementation. I took my time to organize an initial response and explained how I setup/grouped the info (Strategy, opportunities, challenges). The interviewer walked me through the case, asking questions and followup questions. Key advice is to link everything back to the strategy, bring in ideas not in the case, and be able to come up with how "your" services will add value (+profit or -cost) to the company.

Behavioral: 2 separate interviews. Very similar. Be able to have solid examples that show a variety of experiences. Be personable, that is what consulting is about. Be able to show results and value from your past experiences.

Afterwards I followed up with emails. Heard back the following Tuesday via a phone call. Took about 2 weeks to work out the offer before I accepted. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and professional. Very impressed overall.

I countered the salary (which was already at the top of the Glassdoor range) and they met me in the middle. Always negotiate. One email that took 10 mins to craft pocketed me a decent sum. Also, don't sound too eager when you are offered, and take your time before writing the counter offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Consultant Interview

I had a screening interview with Deloitte. All the questions asked were related to my previous experience (work and education). The interview was very casual and no technical question was asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Deloitte.

Interview process started off a little hectic. Scheduled 2 30-minute phone interviews. 1 behavioral, which was really easy. 1 case. Case interview over the phone is definitely an awkward process. My case was really strange but pretty easy. I didn't do great, but from talking to people at the firm, no one does because phone cases are inherently awkward.

The next steps were an on site interview in Arlington a week and a half after the case. I was told to keep the day open and that I would definitely hear back 1 way or the other before the onsite.

Well that date went by and I heard nothing. There was no main contact in the process either. I did reach out to the various people who had been in contact with me, but no one will get back to me. I guess I did something egregious because I was just completely dropped.

It's really strange because I have received offers from several other firms. I had been extremely impressed with Deloitte up until this point and they were at the top of my list. This process was pretty disheartening. I guess it was better to find out now.

Consultant Interview

They do not even have a mobile optimized apply process so the candidate experience is frustrating from the start. For a global consulting firm this is concerning especially if they are looking to hire both fresh new talent or seasoned talent like myself who knows the gaps in this process cause loss of interest of top Talent. Desperate vs Determined.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deloitte.

I was put through a total of 3 interviews, 1) behavioral; 2) short case (30-40 minutes); 3) long case (1 hour).

The interview started the minute I came off the elevator with greeters asking me about myself and discussing their experiences. They mentioned that they would provide input into the hiring process in terms of my ability to create conversation and interact with others. They greeters escorted me to a room where I waited as others were finishing up their round one interviews. I was then escorted to meet a manager who performed the behavioral interview.

Round 1 Interview:

Behavioral Interview - Lasted about 40 minutes and consisted of the manager asking me questions about my resume and experience. It was a simple discussion to learn more about my background and gauge how well I would fit within the firm based on experience and personality.

After time was up, I was escorted immediately to another room, where I was to perform a short case with another manager.

Case Study - The case was not too complex and revolved around a federal client looking to improve their tracking of IT equipment. I was able to apply the framework of People, Process, and Technology to the case and provided my response.

I received a call 3 hours after the initial two interviews and was asked to return the next day for what would be the final interview.

Round 2 Interview:

Case Study (1 hour) - I showed up to the same location as the day before and was escorted to a room where I met with a Deloitte partner. The partner was very nice and went over the premise of the case with me and asked me to solve it. I again broke it into a framework and walked them through my thought process. The partner did challenge some of my responses and asked for clarification. I was able to provide my rationale for each of his questions and he seemed satisfied. i am not sure if he was trying to make me nervous or was generally interested in how I came up with my solution?

I receive an email and a call the next day from the recruiter stating that I would be offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Please breakdown the national budget for me and explain where most of the U.S. tax dollars go. You can use dollars, percentages or fractions for the breakdown.   Answer Question
    I interviewed as part of their campus recruiting effort. Non of the students who I interviewed with were able to negotiate. I attempted but was shot down by the recruiter. We were all offered the same amount, base plus signing bonus.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deloitte.

I had a call to do a phone screen with talent, then came in to the office for an in person interview (1 hour each with 4 individuals) all in 1 day. Talent gave me a 1 day heads up that my interview will include a case study, which made me question talent's effectiveness.

The interview included a case study, resume review, general questions to learn about my skillsets/experience, and informal discussions to assess culture fit.

Interview Questions
    Original offer was low, but I had an offer from another company during this time. Second offer was higher but still not as high as what I had from the other company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in September 2014.

I had a current employee give my resume to a recruiter. After waiting 2 months I received an email scheduling a phone interview. The recruiter failed to contact me during our set meeting time. I sent to emails to touch base, without a reply. About a week later I heard back from the recruiter and scheduled a new time. The initial interview went well. They asked me what I knew about the company and why I wanted to work there. I was assured I would then hear back by the end of the week about a follow-up in person interview. I did not hear until the end of the following week ( after I emailed them). By then the position had been filled.

Consultant Interview

interviewed at Deloitte in September 2014.

The recruiting process was on campus, which means it was very typical to other types of processes for finance and consulting jobs. Opportunities were offered for coffee chats and networking with current employees and alumni, followed by first-round interviews conducted on campus. The first round consisted of two interviews-- one behavioral and one case.

Interview Questions
    • Very little guidance in the case materials; you need to infer that numbers you generate early-on will form the basis of later answers   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte.

Long process. Have something they can use on a project. And talk about future career goals. Know the kinds of clients Deloitte has and also talk about some potential avenues for new business. Be honest and confident. Also realize it is a very competitive culture that is fast paced.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a negotiation. Be happy you have a job.

Consultant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Deloitte.

A friend passed my resume to a manager she knew and that manager forwarded my resume to a recruiter in Human Resources, who called me for an Initial phone interview. After the preliminary screening, the recruiter set-up onsite interviews with two hiring managers and one senior manager. The managers were cordial and professional and had many years of industry experience. They talked about the requirements and expectations of the position I was interviewing for and looked through my resume and asked questions about my background, experience, and skills. The process was very quick, and they made an offer within two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult or unexpected. I talked about my experience and work I did in my prior jobs and the hiring managers asked some additional questions. They also talked about the requirements and expectations for the job.   Answer Question
    Salary offered was based on initial assessment of my work experience and salary. Also offered a sign-on bonus at the time. Definitely try to research salary for position in advance and negotiate, negotiate.