Deloitte Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
Updated Mar 29, 2015
3,502 Interview Reviews

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

I applied online (I currently work in this field for a competitor) for a consultant position within the Human Capital Practice: Organization, Transformation & Talent Group. Within a week a I heard from a recruiter, who setup a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Basic questions about my background, current employer, and reasons for applying to Deloitte. Lasted 30 mins, was pretty straight forward. Just be confident in your answers.

A day later I was contacted for another phone interview, this time with a Sr. Manager from the office I indicated I wanted to work from. I really appreciated that Deloitte made the effort to get someone from this office, as it is not in one of their major cities

Technical Phone Interview: Asked me about my experiences within change management consulting. He would ask me to explain things in more detail, and drill down into my examples. Advice is to again be confident, have lots of examples of the work you have done on hand, and be able to frame your examples (size of team/project, budget, what you did, results, etc).

A few days later I was invited to in-person interviews. Deloitte flew me out on a Thursday night, and back Friday afternoon. The format was 1 case and 2 behavioral. To prep, I walked through Deloitte's case prep online, made sure I had solid experiences to share for about 5 different types of questions, and had a good "story" to tell about why Deloitte and why I wanted to switch.

Case: Very straightforward. I was given the paper with the case on it. Focus was on an ERP implementation. I took my time to organize an initial response and explained how I setup/grouped the info (Strategy, opportunities, challenges). The interviewer walked me through the case, asking questions and followup questions. Key advice is to link everything back to the strategy, bring in ideas not in the case, and be able to come up with how "your" services will add value (+profit or -cost) to the company.

Behavioral: 2 separate interviews. Very similar. Be able to have solid examples that show a variety of experiences. Be personable, that is what consulting is about. Be able to show results and value from your past experiences.

Afterwards I followed up with emails. Heard back the following Tuesday via a phone call. Took about 2 weeks to work out the offer before I accepted. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and professional. Very impressed overall.

I countered the salary (which was already at the top of the Glassdoor range) and they met me in the middle. Always negotiate. One email that took 10 mins to craft pocketed me a decent sum. Also, don't sound too eager when you are offered, and take your time before writing the counter offer.

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Thank you so much for offering such a helpful and detailed review!

Senior Solutions Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Deloitte.

Two 30 minute interviews; one technical, one "soft" (personality/fit). It really depends on who you get; I give tougher tech interviews than what I got. I've seen candidates crash and burn on what should be basic Java questions. Pro tip: don't google for answers during a skype interview (yes, I've seen it happen).

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between SOAP and RESTful web services.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

The whole process was really positive. Everyone was professional, efficient and friendly. I met with three people (a manager, senior manager and partner) for thirty minutes each. One interview was a case study, one was behavioral and the final was a culture-fit assessment--basically, will I fit in?

I had never done a case study before, so I focused most of my preparation on that interview. I applied for their federal sector, which is a bit different than their other sectors. The case study really focuses on your logic and whether you know how to ask the right questions. Deloitte loves the "people, process and technology" framework, so make sure to focus on that.

Interview Questions
    • They phrased it differently, but they asked for two strengths and two weaknesses. I had only prepared one of each!   Answer Question

Securitization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

Went through campus recruitment process. Contacted months later about being admitted for superday. Had 4 back to back interviews with managers and directors. Mostly "Walk me through your resume" "What do you know about Securitization?" "In this situation what kind of securities would you buy and why?" "In a mortgage, what criteria would you look for to value it?"

Federal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

30 min. phone interview for the first round. This was behavioral, so they mostly just asked me questions about my past experiences, why I was interested in consulting, etc. Specific questions from my resume. Then in the final round, they flew me to D.C. for more behavioral and case interviews. I had 2 case interviews back-to-back, and one behavioral. Interviewers were very nice and I didn't trip up during any of the interviews, but I don't think I was charismatic enough.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Applied through referral and was called for a pre-screen phone call within a week (are you a citizen, are you ok with travel, etc). Then I was scheduled for an in person 2 weeks later. Interviewed with three people one-on-one: principial, senior consultant and manager. Received response 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • They proposed a hypothetical problem and asked me to resolve it. Each person asked their own questions and they seemed to be making it up as they went along. There wasn't really structure, nor a single question that was asked by all three. From that I got the impression they weren't looking for something specific, mostly personality.   Answer Question

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Employee referrals are a key source of talent for us. The majority of our Deloitte professionals have profiles on LinkedIn. We encourage candidates to check out their networks to see if there is a ... More

Audit Assistant Interview

Talked with HR representative, then one 45 minute phone case interview and one 45 minute behavioral interview. Both were very relaxed, the Case interviewer took time to get to know you before the start. Similarly, they pick an interviewer with a similar background as you.

Business Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

half an hour behavioral questions and half an hour case interview. The interviewers are nice and professional. The case interview really need more preparation.Go to their website and really get to know the example and what is SDLC. The behavioral is quite standard and just like normal conversation,going though the experience. Just make sure there is interaction during the process.

Interview Questions
    • Standard going over resume and the case study is really similar to the case example they offered online.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

I applied through campus recruiting. The process was very straight forward, Deloitte is very transparent as the evaluate candidates. After applying through my school's career service I was contacted for a first round of interviews - this included two separate pieces. The first piece was a behavioral interview followed by a case. Deloitte evaluates you on every part of your interview, this includes the greeters.
    After I finished the case I was told I would know by 5 PM that day if they wanted me to come back. They called a few hours after I left and asked me to come in the following day.
    The second day was very close to the first in initial structure; greeter, behavior and case. The difference was the amount of time with each person/people, in the second day the case is much more in depth. There is a tool on the Deloitte website that will help you prepare for these cases and I highly recommend using it. Deloitte's cases are not as hard as what most business schools will put you through but they are also given in a unique structure which adds to the difficulty. Be prepared when you go in and make sure you are confidant in your answers, in the qualitative section they are looking not just how you solve the case but also how you process the case. With the quantitative section they want to see how you gather the data just as much as they want to see you answer the question - that said, don't get the wrong answer: prepare for these interviews there are no hidden aspects and because of that Deloitte expects that you've done your homework and can do some basic math with people looking at you.
    After the interviews I was told I would hear back in two weeks. I had gathered all the contact information from the interviewing/greeting members of Deloitte and wrote each short thank you note.
    I revived my final offer exactly two weeks later.
    The overall interview is set up to have a behavior (little or no stress) and a case (mild to moderate stress) to truly gauge if you are the right fit for Deloitte, be yourself and prepare.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me why you want to work at Deloitte?   View Answer

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

This is a great synopsis of our consulting campus interview process. You can find additional tips for preparing for the recruiting process on our careers site ... More

Human Capital Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Deloitte.

I received an interview after applying online post career fair and through an employee referral. The behavioral interview was straight forward, but the case interview was more challenging than I expected. Be prepared by practicing case interviews from their online resources and practice WITH SOMEONE. It will help tremendously and you won't be caught off guard by the oral presentation of the case.

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Great advice! Mock interviews are a great way to prepare. Here's a link to learn more about our consulting case interviews ... More