Deloitte Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015
3,784 Interview Reviews

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online (I currently work in this field for a competitor) for a consultant position within the Human Capital Practice: Organization, Transformation & Talent Group. Within a week a I heard from a recruiter, who setup a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Basic questions about my background, current employer, and reasons for applying to Deloitte. Lasted 30 mins, was pretty straight forward. Just be confident in your answers.

A day later I was contacted for another phone interview, this time with a Sr. Manager from the office I indicated I wanted to work from. I really appreciated that Deloitte made the effort to get someone from this office, as it is not in one of their major cities

Technical Phone Interview: Asked me about my experiences within change management consulting. He would ask me to explain things in more detail, and drill down into my examples. Advice is to again be confident, have lots of examples of the work you have done on hand, and be able to frame your examples (size of team/project, budget, what you did, results, etc).

A few days later I was invited to in-person interviews. Deloitte flew me out on a Thursday night, and back Friday afternoon. The format was 1 case and 2 behavioral. To prep, I walked through Deloitte's case prep online, made sure I had solid experiences to share for about 5 different types of questions, and had a good "story" to tell about why Deloitte and why I wanted to switch.

Case: Very straightforward. I was given the paper with the case on it. Focus was on an ERP implementation. I took my time to organize an initial response and explained how I setup/grouped the info (Strategy, opportunities, challenges). The interviewer walked me through the case, asking questions and followup questions. Key advice is to link everything back to the strategy, bring in ideas not in the case, and be able to come up with how "your" services will add value (+profit or -cost) to the company.

Behavioral: 2 separate interviews. Very similar. Be able to have solid examples that show a variety of experiences. Be personable, that is what consulting is about. Be able to show results and value from your past experiences.

Afterwards I followed up with emails. Heard back the following Tuesday via a phone call. Took about 2 weeks to work out the offer before I accepted. Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and professional. Very impressed overall.

Negotiation

I countered the salary (which was already at the top of the Glassdoor range) and they met me in the middle. Always negotiate. One email that took 10 mins to craft pocketed me a decent sum. Also, don't sound too eager when you are offered, and take your time before writing the counter offer.

Deloitte Response

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Thank you so much for offering such a helpful and detailed review!

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte (Boston, MA).

Interview

The whole hiring process is like a well oiled machine. I was referred to Deloitte by a current employee and was able to bypass some of the screening process. It started with a phone screen with a recruiter which went well. They will ask you about your experiences and work along with asking questions about your current salary (hint: Give a range or decline to answer the question). A few days later, I was speaking with a Director in the Public Sector Group and after that -- they had me interviewing in the Boston office. Deloitte goes out of their way to make the recruitment and interview process as painless as possible, I found, and were very responsive to questions and comments via email and phone.

The interview composed of 2 separate conversations with members of the Boston team. After this, I was flown out to Camp Hill to speak to 2 more folks. This isn't normal as they wanted to check and see if I had versatility and experience working in the Public Sector as well as the general Human Capital work I would be doing. I came in as an experienced recruit so they asked me solely behavioral questions and I did not receive any case studies although I did walk them through my process in project management and overall program management support. They really want to see your thought process so be sure to highlight this.

My Boston interviews were more interview focused and I received positive feedback from my recruiter after I sent thank you notes. My Camp Hill conversations were very conversational and I learned a lot about the work being done and the experiences my two Deloitte interviewers had with the firm. Questions centered around work that I had done with my clients before and they also gave you an opportunity to ask questions. I would recommend trying these questions when it comes time for you to ask questions to the interviewer. I received really solid feedback when I asked these questions:

- If I have the opportunity to get an offer, what kind of projects and work would you have me work on? This type of questions helps the interviewer put you into the role and envisions you doing the work. I actually stumped my interviewer and she said that it was a great question and she had to think about it.

- What kind of person do you envision for this job? This gave me the opportunity to hear from them how they envisioned the ideal candidate to be and also provided me with an opportunity to fill in gaps if I missed anything and reinforce my skill set.

- What made you choose Deloitte? Easy question and provides for you to share why you would be a good fit.

I had my interviews in the morning and they flew me home later that day. Two days later, I received a verbal offer and then a written offer. I accepted. All in all, my experience was very positive and I had fun. Deloitte made the process very comfortable for me and their recruiters are just awesome. They really have an interest in your success and are your advocate so certainly use them and work with them (and say thank you!)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to bring someone over to your point of view who was resistant to change   Answer Question
    • What experiences have you had managing work streams or work threads? What kind of role did you have in this work?   Answer Question
    • How do you go about solving a problem? Identifying a risk/issue?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I interviewed with Deloitte. They did ask some technical questions that a candidate should be prepared to answer. We had to interview with several people (approximately 6 people). I think they look for smart candidates that are willing to work hard.

Audit Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Deloitte (New York, NY).

Interview

It was on campus with two interviewers. One was a manager and one was a partner. One was more serious, the other tried to keep a comfortable environment and had more personality. At the end of the day they just want to hear your unique experience and potential to be a good employer.

Interview Questions

• Tell them about a difficult experience I had to overcome.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Interview

Efficient and fast. Great interviewers. Personal. Same day or near same day minimum. This is an experienced hire process - campus interviews much more involved. Excellent vetting process for candidates. If you aren't the real deal, unlikely you'll get through.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by one face-face interview. The initial phone interview is basically for HR to ensure you can speak proper English and present yourself articulately over the phone. The face-face interview was a lot less intense than I expected.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were the typical 'walk through your resume', tell us what your biggest accomplishment is, and the typical behavioral questions.   1 Answer

ERS Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

All behavioral questions in a round of 3-4 interviewers (all performed individually). The interviews were very casual and it was obvious that they were more focused on personality and culture fit rather than specific expertise.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

First, there is an on campus interview with one of the recruiters. Then, if they invite you back for a second round, then you go to the office for three 30 min rounds with a senior manager or partner. The interview is must more conversational than most people expect. The interviewer make you feel comfortable, but it is important to stay both professional and relaxed (calm) at the came time. They do not want anyone who seems tentative with their answers.

Consultant - Strategy & Operations (Supply Chain Practice) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

1. Contacted by Federal Recruiter
    2. 30 minute phone screen
    3. On- Site Interview:
          - Case analysis
          - Behavioral Q's
          - Fit Interview w/ Partner/ Director
    4. 2 days later I received heads up that I had been selected

Overall, my experiences with Deloitte have been great. The HR recruiting process is efficient and effective from start to finish. A dedicated recruiting coordinator will set up your onsite interview logistics and will answer any questions that you have. I want to note that I was very impressed by Deloitte's office building in Roslyn, VA.

Interviews-

1. Case analysis w/ Mgr, very relaxed and conversational. These cases are intentionally sparse with info as the interviewer wants to see your thought process and if you demonstrate the skills of a consultant.

My advice- ask questions, make sure you are clear on the problem, ask for guidance if you need it and master case interview frameworks. Even if you have no idea where to start knowing case frameworks will be a tremendous help. When in doubt, break the case down into segments- pieces.

2. Behavioral/ experience related questions w/ Sr Mgr, this was my favorite interview. I interviewed with a very outgoing, fun, loose personality. I felt at ease and the 30 minute interview was indeed a conversation between the two of us.

My advice- know your resume and demonstrate that your experience and skills are complementary to the firms needs.

3. Fit interview w/ practice area Partner/ Director, be yourself and be clear on the reasons why you are sitting in that chair wanting to work at Deloitte.

My advice- prepare in advance by doing personal assessment.

Audit Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in June 2015.

Interview

Process took a day. I met with 2 senior managers. they were nice, but questions were quite hard. They asked about me GPA and about my CPA. They also asked about why I choose Deloitte, why should we hire you? No technical questions asked. Why big 4? I think I met at least six people through my interviewing process.