Deloitte

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014
2,895 Interview Reviews

Regional Recruiting Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte.

The initial phone screen took less than two days to be scheduled after the referral. The phone screen was with the experienced hire recruitment director for the region. After a week, the in person meetings were scheduled with various members of the team and respective partners. The schedule was very organized and office was nice. I was told a decision would be made within the next few days and that did happen.

Interview Questions
    • An unexpected question I was asked was regarding campus recruiting. The job applied for did not require campus recruiting and the organization has a separate group for that.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate as I had done some research on salary. I would suggest asking for what you want regarding base as while the position was bonus eligible, the bonus can often vary or not be awarded due to performance of the company or economic influences.

Consultant Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Deloitte.

A friend passed my resume to a manager she knew and that manager forwarded my resume to a recruiter in Human Resources, who called me for an Initial phone interview. After the preliminary screening, the recruiter set-up onsite interviews with two hiring managers and one senior manager. The managers were cordial and professional and had many years of industry experience. They talked about the requirements and expectations of the position I was interviewing for and looked through my resume and asked questions about my background, experience, and skills. The process was very quick, and they made an offer within two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult or unexpected. I talked about my experience and work I did in my prior jobs and the hiring managers asked some additional questions. They also talked about the requirements and expectations for the job.   Answer Question
    Salary offered was based on initial assessment of my work experience and salary. Also offered a sign-on bonus at the time. Definitely try to research salary for position in advance and negotiate, negotiate.

Consultant Interview

Hired 6 months in advance of graduation. On campus interview with a manager. Then all expenses paid trip to Deloitte office to meet two managers and a Director or Partner.

Little negotiation ability

Consultant - Human Capital Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in May 2014.

First interview was a 30 minute sense check phone call with the recruiter. Pretty simple, just a high-level walk through of some resume items; looking to ensure there aren't any glaring red flags with your experience or how you present yourself.

Second interview was a 30/45 minute phone call with a senior consultant. A brief high-level review of the resume followed by more specific behavioral questions about past experiences. As you would expect with a practitioner asking the questions this time, they were more pointed and related to the practice with which you are interviewing. In my case, I think the questions were around examples of leading change initiatives, communicating change effectively, managing through ambiguity, etc.

Office visit was next, which consisted of two behavioral type interviews and a case. If you get to this point, you'll get a load of resources to from the recruiter to help you prepare. So I'll just briefly summarize the three interviews:
        Behavioral 1 (45 min) - Focus Area evaluation – related technical skills, industry specific knowledge development and sharing
        Behavioral 2 (45 min)- Consulting Attributes evaluation - Demonstration/knowledge of the consulting process, effective communication skills, teaming/mentoring/leading of others, knowledge sharing, business and people development, engagement management
       Case (30 min) - Human capital specific - Case is presented to you be interviewer, along with key facts/figures, then you're given a couple minutes to analyse/digest, then asked to walk them through issues, problems, solutions. It's much more of a fluid conversation than it is a typical "strategy" case interview. It's best to be able to demonstrate level of analytical/process driven thinking, as well the ability to communicate to the practitioner effectively. There isn't a right or wrong answer necessarily, but you will need to be in the general vicinity. Specifically, my question was around a brand holding company that was looking to break apart/divest it's 3 key brands into three separate companies. What were some of the issues and challenges that would arise along the way?

Whole interview process from first contact to offer took about a month. Office interview was on a Friday, had my offer by the following Tuesday.

Interview Questions
    • The case wasn't necessarily hard, but I could see it being a little uncomfortable dealing with the ambiguity of that style of question if you're not used to it   Answer Question
    Open to salary negotiation, if you think you're worth more, make your case to the recruiter and they'll take it to the partner.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Deloitte.

The interview was Okay, the partner was easy to talk with and candid about the work he had done and his experiences which made it easier for me to share my strengths and interests with him.

Audit Assistant Interview

Interviews are almost all behavioral, you will most likely do 2 or 3 with senior ranking members of the Audit team. Also, if you have greeters or facilitators between meetings, those people will also be evaluating you so be on your best behavior.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you had to work with a difficult person who didn't pull their weight and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Business Valuation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Deloitte in December 2013.

First I had a phone screening with the recruiter to find out what position I would be interested in. Then, I was brought in to the office for two interviews, one with senior manager and one with partner. Know the discounted cash flow (DCF) inside and out! Also know the income and market approaches. Very analytical internship, very repetitive, but will look great on your resume and if you get the offer and stick it out for a year the exit opportunities are unbeatable - into an investment bank possibly, hedge fund, or private equity firm.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the 3 valuation approaches and give examples of each.   View Answer
    No negociation

MBA Summer Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte.

Applied within the Human Capital division through a diversity conference. Interview was relatively straightforward. There was an initial phone call by the HR, followed by a phone-interview with an associate. This was followed by an on-site interview at the diversity conference.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions and a couple of case interviews on Human Capital Management   Answer Question

Human Capital Summer Scholar Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in February 2014.

The recruiting process was simple and quite enjoyable. Dropped resume through my university's career center and received an invitation within a few days to schedule a first round on campus. The first round was held in our career center's offices. When you arrive to the waiting room, a few Deloitte Analysts in the same division sit with you and the other candidates and make light conversation, answering any questions you may have before the interviews. Everyone was extremely friendly and really did their best to put us at ease and 'warm us up' before going into the interviews.

The first round consisted of two 30-min interviews- one case and one behavioral/fit interview. Each was with a Senior Manager at the office I was interviewing for. Questions asked in the behavior were nothing unexpected-- I had stumbled upon each one when prepping for the interview on Glassdoor. The case was pretty open-ended and straightforward. My only advice for the case interview is to do your best to make it an engaging conversation. I had only been prepping for cases for about a week when I sat down for the first round, so don't think that you need to have each "framework" out there memorized to do a good job, they just want to see that you think logically about the problem at hand. Be confident in your answers and think about the true, overarching needs of that company or organization.

About a week after the first round I received an invitation by email to attend Blitz Day (final round interviews) at the office I had interviewed for. I had a conflict (another interview in another state) and knew ahead of time that I absolutely would not be able to make this date. For any other person who finds themselves in a similar situation, read this carefully:
    1. Immediately CALL our recruiter and ask to speak with them, explaining the conflict. When I could only catch her VM, I sent a brief email just requesting that she give me a call back at her earliest convenience.
    2. Explain to the recruiter your conflict, and request to interview on a different date. Make yourself very flexible for this alternative date-- from what I understand they don't typically plan alternatives so if it is offered, take it.
    Once I had done those things, the recruiter let me know she needed to confirm with Managers if this would be an option. For about 1.5 weeks I heard nothing, and began to think that it just wasn't going to happen. DO NOT DO THIS. I almost never reached out to her again thinking it was a lost cause. The fact is that if you get a final round interview to be a summer scholar, you essentially ARE good enough to be given the opportunity. You have done everything up until that point right, so from the Recruiter's perspective, you could be the best candidate. And their primary goal is to get the best candidate, so they are just as motivated to make it work for you.
    3. With that realization, I called again the day prior to Blitz checking in. The recruiter sent me an email at 10pm that evening offering me an alternative date to interview.

The second-round interview (not Blitz, for me) was very straightforward and similar to the first. The Managers/ Partners I interviewed with were extremely nice. I think the best interviews happen when you manage to feel like it was a just a conversation, which is what it truly felt like.

Interview Questions
    • Cases revolved around large, disparate companies suffering from a variety of issues such as high turnover, lack of employee morale, new technology implementation, system adoption, learning and development, performance management, etc. I was asked in each case to structure an approach around the problem.

Follow up questions asked during the cases:
      -What can we assume about this organization's culture? How would that affect your approach?
      -If a new [insert any kind] application were implemented, what features should be included that would most benefit this company's/division's needs?
        View Answer
    No negotiation for Summer Scholars

Interview Interview

I applied through campus recruiting, did an on campus interview, and went into the office for an interview.

Interviews were straightforward--a combination of get to know you and behavioral. Interviewers were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was about dealing with a difficult team member.   Answer Question