Deloitte

3.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in November 2012.

This company's HR is a mess. I initially applied via on-campus recruiting at my university. They granted me an interview, only they never bothered to tell me about it. I only found out about the interview after they emailed me to say that an alternate had taken my place. I followed up with HR, who recognized a "technical error" and said they would schedule a phone interview "by the end of the day". A whole week later I hadn't heard back from them, so I followed up. Finally, they scheduled the interview.

The interview went well, and they wanted me back for a final round on-site in Boston... only once again, they didn't bother to inform me. When I contacted HR after a couple weeks of not hearing back, I was told, "Oh, we left you a message on your phone. We want you to come back for round two." I checked all of my voicemails and missed calls--they certainly had not left me a message. At any rate I thanked them and they said they would be in touch with scheduling by "tomorrow evening." "Tomorrow evening" became a week, at which point I contacted them again and they told me that my interview was scheduled for the next morning in Boston. So I quickly found a rental car and a hotel in Boston and at expense of time and money to myself made it to the headquarters.

This part of the process was also a mess. The interview was supposed to be with two partners, an hour long, but we started 25 minutes late and one of the partners couldn't join us. Because we started late, there was no time for me to ask questions at the end of the case interview. Afterward, I met my liaison in HR who told me that she would be in touch with a final decision by "early next week" regardless of the outcome. I never heard back. Based on my previous experience with them, this probably means that I got an offer and they simply forgot to tell me, but I decided I had ZERO interest in working within a company this disorganized and chose not to follow up.

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell me about a time you had to give bad news in a professional setting?   View Answer

Company was obviously disorganized. With recent acquisition of Monitor Group I'm certain that disorganization could only go downhill from here.

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deloitte in October 2012.

1st round - 1 hour, 30min behavioral, 30min case/calculation
    2nd round:
    1 hour individual case, half hour behavioral, 1.5 hour group case

I progressed steadily into round 2. Group interview was good; four of us each with individual roles, ie finance, competitive landscape, products/services, expansion opportunities, etc. The group just needs to work together and piece info together; no

My individual case and final behavioral portions were led by unfriendly interviewers who didn't try much to hide the fact that they came in with their decisions already made. I guess they had their favorites from looking at resumes and that was that. Not sure what to describe but I'd be happy to answer questions.

Interview Questions
    • 3000 potential startups to invest in, how do you start to cull the field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in October 2011.

My first interview with Deloitte was an initial phone interview with HR about why I was interested in Deloitte, consulting, etc. The second round of interviews was 2 1:1 45-minute phone interviews. The first 45 minute interview was an over the phone case study. Not too bad nothing unexpected came up. The second 45 minute interview was a behavioral interview (always stress the benefits of diversity in the workplace, show that you can handle potential issues that commonly arise in the work-place, talk about how you work well with people, and be able to give EXAMPLES for ALL of these types of questions. Last interview was with a partner and director at the firm. Overall good experience up until that point, but after trying to contact HR as to why I didn't make the cut, I couldn't get a hold of them. Go figure.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you had a dispute/disagreement with someone you worked with. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in March 2011.

There is a standard phone screening phase that evaluates at a high level your skills specific to the position you are being considered. This is done by a Deloitte recruiter. If you pass, you become eligible for the interview process after you complete a series of paper work. Much information will be asked of you especially if you are targeted to work on one of their government contracts. The most important info that is asked is your current salary. Be careful on how you answer this because it will be verified thru Lexis Nexis. If you misrepresent yourself, you wll not continue to the interview phase. Take note, however, that your offer from Deloitte will hinge on your current salary provided. Your offer will be around 10% more. It will be difficult to negotiate more.

Once you pass the background check, a schedule of your interview date will be given. All interviewers for the day will get a brief intro to the firm. Then you proceed to a series of 1:1 interviews, each focusing on different aspects. This can go in any order since the interviewers rotate thru the candidates. One interviewer will focus on your technical skills to the job or field you are being evaluated for. Another will give situational, case-study like questions. This interviewer will give a situation and after you provide a solution, will throw a monkey wrench by changing one of the parameters and will see how you react/ cope to the change. Third interviewer would be the most senior of the 3 and will evaluate if you "fit" the firm. You will be asked seemingly innocuous questions like 'what do you like to do?', 'what motivates you?', and the sort. Take care in your answers, don't give cookie cutter answers like Ms. Universe contestants give. Be sincere but don't oversell. Remember it's a very senior person doing this part of the interview, so they'll see thru the insincere responses.

The 3 interviewers will ask if you have any questions and encourage you to do so. However, any questions about salary willbe deflected since none of the 3 interviewers have a say. The person that you will need to speak to is the actual phone recruiter. I think the recruiter also has little decision power since I'm sure they follow a set formula (like +10% From current salary max). So depending on position and current salary, you will hit a ceiling.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to do this work? Is this what you want to do for the rest of your career?   Answer Question
    Hard to negotiate since there is a formula being used which the recruiter cannot deviate from. So depending on position considered for and current salary, a given max salary can be offered. I think that ~85k is max for a mgmt consultant.

Management Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Deloitte.

First round is a phone interview asking mainly about experience, as well as understanding of the position. They want to see how one's experience will fit into the role. Questions include how you made those decisions, why you want this role, what are your roles in the past experience, how you worked in a team.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about an industry that I only had a short experience but which they were very interested in.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2012.

My CV was selected from a job portal and i was contacted by the HR. After an initial screening of typical HR questions, my CV was forwarded to the Sr. Manager of that consulting group. R1 consisted of CV related questions and a mini case of 20 min. followed by any questions i had, regd the firm and profile. Next round was with another Sr. manager - a detail, long case interview. The case was typical market entry strategy one with P&L, Break even analysis. Last round was with the partner which was a discussion about industry trends etc and was more candidate -led rather than interviewer driven. Over all a nice experience.

I was an out of country candidate so some interviews were conducted over Skype. HR was very helpful and kept me posted as the entire process took about 3.5 months.

The salary was as per my expectation so did not negotiate.

Management Consultant Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte in September 2011.

Deloitte got back to me pretty soon after I submitted my application to schedule an interview. I only had first rounds which consisted of two 1-to-1 hour-long back-to-back interviews. These interviews included both behavioural and case-based (so make sure you brush up your case interview skills).

The work culture seemed easy-going and the candidates got to interact with some consultants as they waited for their interviews. The consultants were really down-to-earth, friendly people. Definitely a great lot to work with.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were faced with an ethical problem.   View Answer

Management Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deloitte in May 2008.

1st round consisted of 2 interviews, both with a "mini case" and a behavioral element. The interviews were 1 on 1 and were quite standard case interviews and standard behavioral questions. The 2nd round consisted of a 2:1 interview which lasted an hour. The case had a strong accounting and finance element to it.

Management Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte in January 2008.

Deloitte was, by far, the worst interview experience I've ever had. I've had plenty of rejections in school, having been one of the youngest candidates in the field, but this was the only interview that truly offended me (I often kept in touch with other companies who rejected me, and got interviews with them again, down the road - so I'm not one to take offense at rejection).

The interviewer began by accusing me of being a legacy to my graduate school. I had no parents, siblings, or other remotely close relatives who had ever attended my university, making the statement baseless and false, in addition to offensive

The remainder of the interview involved the interviewer asking questions about why I'm a terrible candidate. Any attempt to spin the question on a positive, or remotely professional note, and the interviewer would immediately interrupt me to throw in another insulting "questions."

This was a colossal waste of my time. I would never interview with them again, now would I interact with this company on any professional terms.

Interview Questions
    • How can I put someone like you in front of our clients?   View Answer