Deloitte Project Controller Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.1

Project Controller Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Deloitte in June 2015.

Interview

The initial interview consisted of a conversation on the recruiter who gave an overview of the job and the duties. She asked general questions about my background. She also asked why I was leaving my current job, my current salary and salary expectations. The second interview was with a project controller manager. He asked the questions below...

Interview Questions

• If you were starting a project, what steps would you take to build the budget?   1 Answer
  • What would you do if you were asked by two managers who to complete tasks that had conflicting deadlines.   Answer Question
  • How would you handle a situation where theres expenses related to project but they weren't orginally included in the budget.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied in school's career service. The whole process takes about two weeks. The interviewers are very nice and easy talk. Actually, it is one of the things that they are seeking from candidates. Communication skill is extremely important to them. Be prepared for a case interview. Not easy. Be sure that you know Excel and budgeting well. This is more like being a "CEO" under the control of Deloitte. Very bright future.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your stories. What do you think the most important for being a leader. When you meet conflict schedule, how do you handle it, and make an example. When you realize that you can not make it before the due, what will you do? If the travel fee is increasing rapidly, what will you say to the customers?   Answer Question

Project Controller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

I was a referral and the first interview was simply the recruiter making sure I was a good fit and understood the role. That was followed by a staff level interview that went well and was a get to know you kind of conversation. Questions were quite limited on that call and we talked a bit more about what my work preferences were and my experience including experience with different tools. The third interview was a round of 3 interviews in one day. One interview was with a manager and the last two with 2 different senior managers from the practice. For the most part those questions were behavioral questions but the last interview was a case study. Talked about different ways I would handle situations of managing client work. Tough last interview but got the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not too rough. They knew what they wanted to pay.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Austin, TX).

Interview

Very nice recruiter, the people at the office seemed nice. At the end of the interview they tried to sell the company with a presentation on "Deloitte U", a first year summit. It seemed as though they were using to to sell the position and company.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions regarding the case study.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Deloitte (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

There interviews went all afternoon. The first interview was a behavioral interview followed by a technical interview. After the first interview portion selected candidates were asked to return for another behavioral interview and case study.

Interview Questions

• I was asked questions during the behavioral interview concerning when was a time that my idea was not the best or got in the way and how did I adapt.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

My first interview was with a Deloitte recruiter who asked me to walk him through my resume - very general. The second interview was with a current Senior Project Controller who asked me some Excel/Basic financial questions. The next was in-person with three senior managers who ask standard interview questions and also a case study portion (see below). It was not as intimidating as I would have assumed for Deloitte.

Interview Questions

• You will have a case portion - but not like McKinsey or Google type questions where they ask you "how many trash cans are in New York City?" These questions will make you act like a Project Manager and ask your opinion when issues arise. For example: How would you cut costs? Make sure you know how to calculate project margin as well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate since salary is great for a salary starting. Benefits can't be beat.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

like everyone else that has applied for this role went through an initial screening with HR, then a telephone interview with a senior associate (where we dove into a little more dept about the technical requirements of the job), and then a in house interview (behavioral questions, case study, and little about my background), but then had to have one final interview with a hiring manager that wasnt present the day I had my on site interview so 4 interviews total.

Interview Questions

• My last interview was more about the qualities I was seeking in a manager so that threw me off a bit and I believe it was ultimately what cost me an offer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview is with a recruiter who just wants to know your past work experience, communication skills and determine if you are a good candidate. My recruiter was super nice and if you connect with the recruiter they will really go to bat for you when the partners determine you candidacy. Next interview is with an actual employee in your potential office who is trying to see your excel skills and knowledge of the job. They also give information on the job. If you pass those you are invited to the office for three interviews. One of them is a series of mini case studies that just want to see your logical thinking of how you would resolve the issue. The interviewer gives you hints. I think it is mostly about communication as well as excel skills and organization of thoughts. The second interview is more a fit interview. The third is more of a friendly/fit/ask questions. The interview process was not as stressful as some I have been in. Make sure you have a personality, and can communicate your past experience as well as what you will be doing if offered the job and you shouldn't have a problem.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate, but then again I was coming in with only a year of experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Rosslyn, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was initially referred by a current employee. I got a call shortly thereafter from a recruiter, who went over some basic information with me. The recruiter was great and helpful, and not hard to get a hold of (like recruiters with some other companies). After speaking with the recruiter, I had a "technical screen," which was basically a phone interview with a current manager familiar with the position. It took about a half hour, and the questions were related to prior knowledge of Excel and other software, and basic financial and accounting knowledge. This was a great time to ask questions of the current manager, to find out more about the position. The interviewer then reported back to the recruiter. A day or two later I got a call to set up an in-person interview. There were at least a dozen other interviewees in the Rosslyn office - it seems like Deloitte does regular "interview days," where they interview many people for various available positions. I interviewed with three managers, who did 3 different interviews: a behavioral interview, case studies, and a general personality and fit interview. The first interview was a basic chance to show off accomplishments and past experiences. The case studies were short, with a paragraph-long situation followed by 4 or 5 questions. The point of this was for the interviewer to see my problem solving process and pick up on some technical skills. The third interview was more casual, and was more of a conversation about fit, career goals, and life at Deloitte.

Interview Questions

• You are working a project and you have an idea that you think can add value. The project manager disagrees, but you know that your idea is best for the client. How do you approach the situation when the PM has already turned it down once?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an offer from the recruiter, and asked for about 10% more. A couple days later they called with a revised offer, which was about 3% higher than the original offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

Basically 3 rounds of interviews first an HR phone screening, then another phone screen with someone in the office. Finally an interview in office, three separate 30 minute interviews. Each had a different theme. Consulting questions, personality and then skills questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you didn't have a time to complete everything what did you do?.... Also make sure you know how consulting billing works, time and expenses, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate