Deloitte

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process turnaround time was fast - less than 2 weeks, which was a great contrast to the other management consulting firms I interviewed with. The interviewers were friendly and respectful, they didn't play games or try to intimidate.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation in work or school where you faced an ethical dilemma and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Associate 6 Interview

Associate 6
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in February 2012.

Interview Details – Received a call from the recruiter and explained resume. Then had a phone interview with the project staffing lead. Then brought into an office for final round of Q/A.

Interview Question – What are the stages of Software Development?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary was negotiable ~$10k.

ERS Senior Consultant Interview

ERS Senior Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details – intern - easy

Interview Question – all simple expected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none out of college

Human Capital Intern Interview

Human Capital Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was two parts: (1) A case-based interview, (2) a behavioral interview. The case based interview is unlike what you'll see for strategy and operations or M & A. Rather, it focuses on a real-world problem that the firm has recently faced and requires a great deal of on-the-spot thinking and explanation. Suffice it to say that there is no 'correct' answer - the interviewer is looking for your though process and how you use all the information given to come up with a coherent solution in 20 minutes. The behavioral interview is focused on your past experience and your resume with a focus on how your experiences to date will fit in with the human consulting practice.

Interview Question – "What questions do you have for me?" Remember that you're interviewing for a consultant position - and an organizational transformation consulting position at that. Your job is to gain insights from your clients that will help you craft a solution for them, so your ability to engage your interviewer in meaningful conversation is paramount.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in September 2011.

Interview Details – Deloitte hires in rounds and you will have to go through multiple rounds of interviews (informal, behavioral... basically just getting to know you and expanding on your resume). I would recommend being outgoing and getting your name out there by going to information sessions etc. Don't be scared to stand out and don't be quiet!!

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you've ever been put in and how did you get out of it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You have about 2-4 weeks to tell them whether or not you will take the internship.

Audit Intern Interview

Audit Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details – 1 interview in university then went to second round interview. The process took half a day. Consist of 2 interviews, lunch with associate and ended with a staff panelist where we can ask questions to the newly recruited associates.

Interview Question – Asked about an ethical dilemma   Answer Question

Human Capital Analyst Interview

Human Capital Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in November 2012.

Interview Details – I went through campus recruitment. Deloitte is very good at reaching students at my university, they have multiple events and workshops for those interested. After applying online (there are quite a few applications and could be tedious), the first round interview was on campus, one 30 min behavioral and one 30 min case (you're randomly assigned to begin with either). Once I was invited to the interview, I had a Deloitte Buddy reach out to me and talk me through the process. The behavioral had standard questions like "tell me about a time you worked in a group with different perspectives and how you worked through it”, etc. The case was quite a general business case with a human capital focus (practice the interactive case on the website!), but they did have many “considerations” and you might have to prioritize because you can’t cover all aspects of the case in 30 mins. Really research the different Human Capital service lines, I heard that this first round interview is the one that “assigns” people to a service line later in the 2nd round.

The second round is also called the Blitz Rounds, and it’s a 2-day event (Friday & Saturday) at a location related to the office that will give you the offer (e.g. SF was recruiting for LA and SF). There are multiple networking events (happy hour, dinner, lunch, etc), and corporate presentations (about Deloitte, about Human Capital Consulting, etc). It sounds really intimidating, but is actually a lot of fun - the energy level is really high, especially from the Deloitte employees (who’re volunteering to participate in the Blitz weekend!). I didn’t come from a business background, so I could’ve worked more on “networking” more smoothly, but I still got an offer even though I didn’t “sell myself” as much as some other people did and focused instead more on learning about them and getting to know them, so don’t stress too much about it. All the interviews were on Saturday, and we had one group case and three 1:1 interviews (2 behavioral and 1 case). Some people started with the group case, some people with the individual interviews. For the group case, I was assigned to a team of 4 and we were supposed to be Deloitte consultants who had to pitch Deloitte’s services to the client. A Deloitte facilitator observed us and offered tips along the way while we worked on proposing solutions for the client (~45 mins) and drafted the PowerPoint presentation (~10 mins) and then finally presented to the client (2 senior Deloitte employees) for 10 mins with 10 mins Q&A. I really had a good time with my group case, my group worked really well together - don’t think of them as competitors. During the presentation, be sure to keep the consultant hat on and don’t use too much jargons the clients won’t understand, demonstrate your ability to empathize with them, and be sure that you can sell Deloitte to them. The Q&A had some tough questions to push us on our solutions, so be sure you can back up your recommendations. The three individual interviews were like the first round (30 mins), though the questions tended to be more specific at that point (especially about the service line you’re interviewing for, so be sure to research on the website!)

Overall, the experience at Deloitte was extraordinary. The people were amazing, very enthusiastic, helpful and down-to-earth. Everyone I reached out to during campus recruitment made time to talk to me about the recruitment process and gave me valuable advice, so don’t be shy to reach out to them. Deloitte’s commitment to its people is also very tangible throughout the process (they really pamper you). There were a few glitches along the way (e.g. sometimes we would walk around with our Deloitte Blitz Ambassadors but they also weren’t sure where we were supposed to go), but these were usually minor mistakes and they were great at improvising.

Interview Question – Tell me about an experience you had with visual representations (or something along those lines)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because I felt the offer was good. Once I was given the offer, many Deloitte employees reached out to me (most of whom were alums of my school/program) and offered to chat with me if I had questions - I would advice others to take up that opportunity if they were unsure.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Actuarial Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview Details – I had an on-campus first round interview which consisted of 30-minute behavioral and 30-minute case interview. The case interview revolved around one problem regarding the recent health care reform. The final round was in-office and consisted of one night with social mixer and dinner with the employees there and one day from 8am to 3pm of interviews (3 behavioral, 1 individual case, and 1 group case).

Interview Question – the most difficult part of the final round is the group case, because it is a human capital question that has little to do with actuarial knowledge. You are put into a team of 2 - 4 and the other candidates are non-actuarial human capital candidates. You are given an hour to work on the long question with an analyst that is supposed to keep you on track (but she was jotting down notes about us the whole time during our discussion). Then we present our powerpoint to 2 managers. They gruel you about your powerpoint afterwards, and if you are not familiar with human capital concepts, you will have a very hard time like I did.   View Answer

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Deloitte in January 2008.

Interview Details – On campus then in-house interview. If you're asked to go out for a drink the night before the interview process you're most likely going to get an offer.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not try to negotiate as coming out of college, I highly doubt there is room for negotiation.

AERS Advisory Summer Internship Interview

AERS Advisory Summer Internship
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Deloitte in October 2012.

Interview Details – I attended a series of information sessions hosted by Deloitte at my college campus. Through these sessions, I engaged in probably half of a dozen one hour plus conversations that allowed me to develop an understanding of the company's different services, company culture, and expectations for undergraduate interns. Everyone I met was genuinely friendly and eager to share their experiences with the company.

When applying to the internship online, I leveraged some of the information I learned about the company by referencing employees I had spoken with. About a week after submitting the application, I received an invitation to attend first-round interview which took place at my campus career center.

After walking into the career center I could immediately tell that this was a highly streamline process. There were about fifteen students in the lobby interviewing for various internship positions within Deloitte during my one hour session. The interview process consisted of two half-hour interviews with Deloitte employees in the Advisory and Enterprise Risk Services department that I applied to. The questions were mostly behavioral and overall the interview felt very informal.

My first interviewer I had met at a prior info session and carried out the interview like a casual conversation: getting to know me, my past experiences, and why I wanted to work at Deloitte in their specific department. The second interviewer explained in detail what he did at Deloitte and then asked me to explain the reasoning behind some of the processes he mentioned. He asked a few other questions to see how I approached unfamiliar questions and I walked him through my thought process as I came to a conclusion. I expected to be asked to explain the relationship between the main financial statements but that wasn't covered. Overall, the interviews seemed very relaxed and casual.

Interview Question – What is your preferred method of communication? i.e. e-mail, in person, via telephone, etc. If you were working at Deloitte on a project for company XYZ, and one of the employees of XYZ had a piece of data that you needed to complete your project, how would you go about contacting him? If that employee had not responded to your e-mail, voice message, or other efforts how would you go about getting the information?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Deloitte