Deloitte

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

Apply through campus recruiting. First round interview doesn't ask too much questions. Just why tax and went through my resume.
Second round went to NYC and mostly chat about current event and interesting area in tax. The partner did ask some behavior questions in between my interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Tax Consultant I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in October 2014.

I had an on-campus interview with Deloitte for my first rounds, and it was a great experience. The greeters were very friendly, I had my interview with a Director of Tax, and a Manager. I was invited for second rounds at the Deloitte Chicago office - and had three interviews, two managers, one partner and received an offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • During my first interview, the Director asked me: If you were about to catch a flight to meet with your most important client, and only had five minutes till you board, what two publications would you buy.   View Answer

Tax Consultant I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in October 2014.

I'm mainly writing this in hopes that it helps someone else because I didn't get the job in the end. The whole process started for me actually last year (Fall 2013). I went through recruiting mainly targeting small firms because I don't feel like I have a stellar GPA (3.3 both in undergrad and grad school), so I felt that no big four firm would have any interest in me. (Contrary to that statement, I have interviewed w/Ernst & Young before, but that's another story). I only decided I'd go after Deloitte in Fall 2014 because one of the firm reps at a recruiting event last year said that they didn't have the best grades either, but they went to every event and talked to as many people as possible and that's how they got in - by showing genuine, sincere, and persistent interest.
    After I had an unsuccessful recruiting season in 2013, I decided I'd go for the gusto in 2014. I ended up interviewing the Deloitte and Grant Thorton around the first week of October. But that was only after attending every single recruiting event I could at school from the end of August all the way through September. I couldn't go to absolutely all of them because I have to pay bills and thus I must attend my day-job.
    I was super excited about both interviews, but I can honestly say that Deloitte is the one that I shed a small tear of joy over. I felt like I was riding high. So, the on campus interview went well and I went to the office interview in third week of Oct 2014 (pretty much an all-day event: breakfast, two to three interviews w/managers + partners, and lunch). But then, I didn't hear anything back until over two weeks had passed: I received a "thanks, but no thanks" phone call.
    They may not allow this post because of what I'm about to say, but it's 100% true. If you are a person of color, please take my advice and keep your grades up (no lower than 3.5, otherwise it's not good enough). I cannot stress this enough - it will make your life after college one million time easier and then some. I truly believe that's probably the reason I didn't make it through. The person I had my on campus interview with said that they didn't do that great in undergrad, but still got into a big four because they were in a leadership role in a professional fraternity at school. And the firm rep I mentioned in the beginning of the post didn't say they were in any type of leadership role but they had one thing in common with my interviewer - they were both white. So, there is obvious proof that you can get in without a high GPA if you have the correct genetics.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I was definitely happy to be at the office visit, but I couldn't help but notice that out of all of the people interviewing for TC1 positions that particular day, the majority of the people were asian, some white, but I was the only one there of a darker variety. Kind of sad, but 100% true on that day - now, please remember that I didn't see every single recruiting day there, so don't pre-judge (this is my own single-day observation). There were plenty of darker variety folks working there from what I saw - but I honestly think they all probably were stellar students. So, like I said before people of color of the darker variety - you must out-perform - that's the only way you are going to get in. You need the positive attitude, confidence, and definitely attending every networking/recruiting event that you can; but, then you need those black and white letters on your transcript to be the proof in the pudding. Otherwise, you won't make it - I know because I've been there, done that.

Interview Questions
    • None - they just begin with "tell me about yourself" in the office visit interviews and the conversation relays back and forth from there. The on campus interview was a little bit more probing, but not really if you attend networking events, you might know your interviewer beforehand and that definitely makes things a lot easier. They aren't out to try to make you crack under pressure, not at all.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied for an on campus interview shortly before attending an on campus meet the firms event. I spoke with an associate at the event and then a couple days later was notified that I was selected for an on campus interview. I interviewed with a partner for about 25 minutes. It was basically just an informal conversation where I talked about my experience. She only asked me one or two behavioral type questions.

About a week later I was notified that I had been selected for an office visit in Detroit with a pre-night mixer the night before. The mixer was pretty informal and relaxed. I chatted with a tax manager there for close to an hour. Everyone was extremely nice and professional.

The next day I had three interviews and a lunch at the Deloitte office. Again, everyone was really nice, easy going, and professional. Interviewed with a manager and two partners followed by a lunch with two associates. There were no difficult questions throughout the day. It felt like they just wanted to get to know me better and it wasn't about quizzing me with interview style questions.

Within about a week I had a call from one of the partners I interviewed with and he offered me the position. Before accepting, I also received an email from the market managing partner offering to discuss his perspective and answer any questions I might have. A few other associates also contacted me to answer any questions I might have. All in all, the interview process was quite a pleasant experience. Everyone was extremely helpful and available to answer any questions all along the way. I cannot say it enough how professional everyone appears to be as well. From start to finish the whole process only took about two and a half weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you used your personal network to achieve a goal or accomplish something.   Answer Question
    I've been told there's no negotiating the starting offers with Big 4.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Deloitte in January 2014.

I had a connection with a recruiter in the Atlanta office, and she referred me to a recruiter in the Houston office. The Houston recruiter contacted me and we set up an office visit for a few weeks later. I first interviewed with a Tax Director and then got a tour of a few floors of the office. Two younger employees took me out to lunch and answered any other questions I had. I got a call from the recruiter the next week with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone to do something your way. Tell me about a time in which you used creativity in leadership.   Answer Question

Tax Consultant I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in October 2013.

Campus interview: 1 manager and 1 partner, each 30 minutes, asked some resume and behavior questions, and general questions like why Deloitte, what's your goal. With the partner is basically chat.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Deloitte in August 2011.

got recruiter's name from friend doing an MST, and emails cover letter and resume. Got invited to interview day. Had 3 1:1 interviews (partner, director, director). Got offer next day.

Interview Questions
    coming straight out of school, i was not in the position to counter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in October 2010.

Interviewed on campus first. Received a phone call on sat evening, inviting me to the next step - a dinner and an office visit. The dinner was casual with current associates. The office visit consisted of 4 1:1 interviews with partners, managers, directors. Than another lunch with other associates. I don't know if I would have an offer yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in January 2010.

Hiring process is faily simple for first year staff. They dont expect you to know much especially if your coming into Tax..... More about personality and are you a good fit. Questions were more about Why us? and Why U, type questions. Phone interview, then 1:1, then another 1;2 with Northeast Tax Director then offer

Interview Questions
    NONE, although I had some since I had worked as a Para with Deloitte before and they had offered me the same salary as I was making when I left as a Para

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in June 2009.

I was interviewed by 3 different interviewers in 30 minutes intervals. 2 of the interviews were very casual conversations where the interviewer was more concerned in getting to know me as a person than to ask behavioral or situational questions. The other conversation was very script like designed, with behavioral questions and situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you disagreed with your boss and how you handled it.   Answer Question