Deloitte

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

108 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corporate Tax Advisory Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

Initial application was straightforward. Required some basic research into Deloitte and the service line you are applying for. Unclear when applying for 'professional services' service line what lines are actually included. Consulting was not and I only found out much later in the application process.

The online exams are not too difficult but require a lot of practice and preparation. There are several free tests online and more may be purchased quite cheaply. Revisit GCSE Maths and create a sheet of useful formula, such as percentage change, ratios etc...

The interview wasn't too difficult and was heavily competency based with the specific competency being tested for each question identified beforehand. Just ensure you have prepared several examples of extra-curricular experiences you can demonstrate the competencies and a couple from university. For the career motivation questions ensure you can give facts why Deloitte over the other big 4. Using awards Deloitte have won shows you have done your research. To meet the commercial awareness competency ensure a few relevant recent business articles are understood so they can be described and their potential impact on Deloitte identified. Ask several questions to the interviewer at the end and ask for their email to thank them for taking the time to interview you.

Interview Questions
    • Impact of current Corporate tax issue on Deloitte   View Answer
    No negotiation

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Deloitte.

Went for a face-to-face interview. Interviewer was 45 minutes late. I've had more than 2+ years industry experience and graduated with a 1st class honours degree in Computer Science, but yet was surprised that the first few questions he asked me were questions like "What is a class", "What is an object" and so on. Since it has been almost 6 years since I covered such basic definitions at university, I actually struggled to provide a succinct description for these simple questions. I was a bit taken aback to be expected to answer these sorts of questions with my experience level. I am very familiar with object-oriented programming concepts but I could not provide you a concise definition off the top of my head for the various fundamental concepts. I was able to successfully answer more difficult questions like "What is polymorphism". I felt like I was at a Computer Science examination, rather than a job interview. Following on from this, he asked me to code a simple binary tree algorithm, something I honestly struggled with under pressure. I can't write algorithms under pressure of interview, and writing binary tree algorithms is not something I have done since I was at university 5 years ago. I have never had to code a binary tree during my actual work, so I didn't think this was a good way to test candidates. I got some relief when he asked me to talk about some of my previous projects though. After this though, the interviewer went on the offensive again and started to find holes in my CV, such as where I had mentioned some experience, but when he asked me about them I wasn't able to provide good descriptions about them (again this was affected by the pressured environment). I explained that I had taken courses on these topics many years ago and that the point of including these on my CV was to show awareness of those methodologies, not to claim any expert knowledge of them, but he seemed to think I was deliberately trying to lie my way through the interview. Rather than acknowledge that my knowledge and experience with some CompSci concepts was lacking (with regard to data structures and algorithms) and move on, he seemed to want to poke further. I think the interviewer thought I was a fraud and seemed to be taking joy out of tearing me apart. The thing is, there was nothing in the job description that would have required knowledge or experience with the concepts I was being tested on. The interviewer explained that they were recruiting for people to work on mobile apps, and so it is highly unlikely I'd find myself having to do LinkedList implementations and binary tree parsing algorithms. If I had have known I'd be asked such basic questions, I would have prepared beforehand... but sure what would be the point in that? Then, I'd be judged on how well I can remember a few definitions rather than how useful I would be in the ACTUAL JOB.

Consultant/Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Deloitte.

1st round interview with one director and one senior manager.
    Split into resume, technical and competency sections. The questions were mostly straight forward apart from few tricky technical ones. Just make sure you know your resume WELL as they do go into details.

The Interviewers were friendly throughout which helped.

Business Analyst - Strategy and Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte.

* One short HR interview to determine my level of English
    * A math and english computer based excercise
    * One interview and case study with a manager
    * An assessment centre comprising of a written exercise, a computer based excercise, a group excercise and an interview with a partner

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really that I didn't expect - I got asked a lot of questions on why I chose the option I chose in the written excercise and when I said that I didn't go for the most obvious answer I got a lot of questions and a discussion around why I think that option was the most obvious.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Consultant - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in May 2014.

The whole process was quite lengthy – partly due to me needing a visa to work in the UK, which Deloitte have agreed to sponsor. A good 4 months after I’d applied through the Deloitte Careers website; I got an email requesting my availability for a telephone interview.
    Step 1: Telephone Interview
    Lasted around 45 minutes and was mainly competency based. I was also asked questions on my experience at their rival consulting firm and touched very lightly on my functional/technical knowledge.
    Step 2: Face-Face interview & Written Test
    The Face-Face interview with a manager from the stream I’d applied to lasted an hour. I was asked questions to test my functional knowledge of the stream of technology consulting I’d applied to and a little bit on my technical expertise. Main focus was competency based to test if I’d be a good match to the ‘Consulting’ workforce.
    Next was the written test. I was given a few slides and some sheets of A4 paper. The objective of this test was to see how clearly you can summarize the 15-20 slides and communicate to a senior member of the client.
    Step 3: Assessment Center
    The day started with me, being briefed about the whole process. I was then given a Case Study and was asked to prepare a presentation on the possible solutions and prioritize the risks. The presentation was a Flip Chart Presentation (be prepared – no powerpoint!!). Exactly an hour later, a senior manager comes and takes me to be interviewed. The presentation lasted for about 30 minutes, followed by around 15-20 minutes of Q&A. I was asked to explain my solutions and my rationale behind the priorities I’d set. This is a good time to ask questions about the type of projects and clients the firm has and on what type of project/client the senior manager is currently on.
    The next session (after lunch) was a personal interview with one of the Senior Partners (head of the consulting group I’d be joining). This round lasted for about 45 minutes and was mainly around my experience and focused little on my technical expertise. More emphasis was laid on my consulting experience (remember everything from your 1st Face-Face interview). One question that I was asked in many different ways, was not why I wanted to join Deloitte, but why I was leaving my current employer (a Deloitte Rival). Be sure and make every effort to not bad-mouth your current employer and be extra careful not to sing very high praises (false praises) of Deloitte. Both of these will be easily sniffed.
    The last session for the day was a 30-40 minute group discussion; you’re given a scenario and 10 possible solutions and are asked to prioritize the solutions. The aim is to get your top 3 among the groups top 5. Remember to give reasons for your rankings – shouting is no good, better be firm and speak when its your turn. If you’re not given a chance, make an effort (do not shout).

The whole process from Step 1 - Step 3 was finished in a matter of 3 weeks and I was made an offer 2 days after the Assessment Center.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join Deloitte & Why are you leaving your current employer.   View Answer
    Negotiation phase was almost non-existent. The reason I'd accepted was that I was offered the pay towards the mid-range of what I said was my expected salary. The other reason was due to the stream I was offered the position in.

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

I applied through a recruiter to join Deloitte Dublin. I was invited to a face to face technical interview and this was the worst interview of my life. The interview was held in London.

The reason why it was the worst interview of my life is that the interviewer was late by 45 minutes. The interview was due to start at 8 am and finish at 9 am and I had to go to work after that. The interviewer apologised but if I was the one who had been late I would've been walked out of the office.

He carried on with the interview and asked questions about C#, SQL, OOP, threads and general software engineering questions and some of his answers where wrong but he didn't know so he thought my answers where incorrect. He had about 10 years experience and I have only 2 years experience so he should have known the right answers but he didn't. As a result he said I had a few technical gaps which I did not.

I was very late for work because of his lack of punctuality but when I explained to him that I would be late to work he didn't even apologise or show empathy.

he wasn't even wearing a tie and he had rolled up sleeves in the interview yet he gave feedback that I was a bit too informal yet I had a full suit on and was very professional.

I have worked for a top 25 FTSE 100 company and a world top 20 global IT firm and have outstanding performance at both yet this guy thought I wouldn't be good enough to work at Deloitte?

After I realised that these big four firms do not want the best talent out there and are looking for people who are just good at making power point presentations and have the same level of incompetence as them.

Stay away if you are a top flight software professional!!

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between a mutex and a semaphore. I knew the answer and his answer was wrong but he said his was right.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

First telephonic with HR, followed by a telephonic with a Senior Manager, Followed by the assessment day.
    At the assessment centre, I had 5 sections:
    (1) Prepare a case study presentation on a flip chart. The case study was Harvard case material type with 6-7 pages to read. The case was about improving operational efficiency.
    (2) Prepare a 2 page write up/email. You are a manger who needs to send a organisation wide email communicating a change program plan.
    (3) Interview with a partner, where first 20 mins were used on presenting and answering Qs on the case prepared earlier from (1), followed by competency based Qs
    (4) Interview with another partner, general CV based Qs, competency based etc
    (5) Group exercise: You are given a case, where you have to prioritise 5 of the given 12 item list, and then discuss with the group. The assessors will be present in the room and will judge you on how you present and defend your point of view.

Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

The process starts with online psychometric tests, followed by a E-Tray day exercise where I had to manage a email box and complete a business case study. Then on the final assessment I had to review a potential client and I had an interview with a manager.

Interview Questions
    • Question about my commercial awareness regarding a client   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Deloitte in April 2014.

Applied using a headhunter. Process took 2 months. I had five interviews with 1 director, 3 senior managers and 1 partner. The whole process was in two phases and Deloitte was very friendly and "down to earth" regarding the interview.

Non negotiable.

Specialist Senior Consultant Interview

1. Recruitment (Taleo) – the training planned for next week is perfect timing!
    2. Performance and Goal Management
    3. Talent Review and Succession Planning

Interview Questions
    • 1. Recruitment (Taleo) – the training planned for next week is perfect timing!
      2. Performance and Goal Management