Deloitte

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Technology Analyst Interview

Business Technology Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in July 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted late June 2014 and the process took approximately 3 weeks (only because of July 4th, or it would be 2 weeks). This is for FEDERAL BTA, which means you will be working on government stuff.

I was called by the recruiting coordinator. She was nice and wanted to help me as much as possible. We talked a bit about what the job was about and its location (consider it a very laid back interview, but dont discount that you can 'fail' it), and she asked me about relocation and salary and basic requisites like US citizenship and all that, then she paired me up with an interviewer.

1st Round- Technical Interview:
As someone with a STEM degree, I was paired up with a developer for a initial technical phone interview. Be very careful, it is indeed technical. The person will be a senior specialist who knows their stuff and will definitely know when you are trying to play him/her. They will DEFINITELY scour your resume and ask you questions from it. Here are some questions I wrote down for yall:
what is the difference between scripting and object oriented languages?
what is the primary thing about oo languages?
how to SELECT from a table (relational database)?
what is a relational database?
What is the steps in SDLC?
What are JOIN?
What is AJAX? You know what it means? What is it used for? Give me an example if an AJAX website.

They can ask other meta questions. However do not base your preparations off of my exact questions. Base them of the format or depth. I told them I knew Java and the interviewer decided to test my knowledge on concepts. So kinda at least understand all terms and stuff you used in your resume.

2nd Round- All in one:
I had a case, technical and culture fit/behavioural interview. 3 different people in different timeslots, singularly, in one day spanning 2 hours. Now, my situation is most likely going to be different from most of the reader's, because I had special arrangements. I had to do a teleconference (video chat) interview rather than a regular normal fly-to-location - face to face interview that my peers most likely did. So since I would be working in another state, I was asked by Deloitte to go their office in my current state (which is not where I am gonna work) and video chat them from there. Interesting experience, but each interview was exactly 30 minutes with the interviewers being cut off/interrupted when another has to come in (its all automatic). So yeah...
But it was great and super prompt. I had the interview on friday and heard on monday.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Know your SDLC. Know your technical stuff (if you are STEM major, like myself) , practice case interviews and you should be fine. I am quite sure what they really want is a personable person (this is super important) who knows their stuff. See below:   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As someone who was out of college 6 months prior, I had some say into what I wanted, because for some reason i was regarded as an experienced hire since I wasnt hired right out of college. However I was careful about it, because I had needed the job. So it ended being the avg that BTAs get paid with a signing bonus for relocation needs.

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Deloitte in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who say my resume on a job board. The recruiter asked me what I was looking for in a career and was generally fairly easy to talk to. No major gotchas. There was a technical phone screening during which they asked about my technical skills. That was fairly easy as well. Detected arrogance in the interviewers voice. They called me in to an "interview night" during which I had three separate interviews with people of varying levels of experience. Two of them were really nice and encouraging. I got the sense they were not really trying to screen for technical skills but more for cultural fit and consulting aptitude. All of them projected an air of professionalism and joviality tinged with a hint of arrogance. They filled my head with dreams of becoming and equity partner in the firm on day. That was a clincher for me. That is how they get you.

Interview Questions

• Since I have a background in Java programming, they asked me to define a Singleton.   View Answer
  • Case Study - they read it to you. Its usually a case about a company that wants to implement some type of system (ERP, CRM, others) and they ask you how you would manage the project and what considerations are important.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – They were tough. I tried to negotiated a higher title and pay. They declined on the title. They did give me a $10K signing bonus.

MBA Summer Associate Interview

MBA Summer Associate

Interviewed at Deloitte

Interview Details – The interview process was relatively straightforward. First round involved 30 min case and 30 min behavioral on campus. Final Round was a super day at the office you would be working in. It included the dreaded group case, 1 individual case and 2 behaviorals. My advice for the group case is to grab the pen/marker and control what is written on the white boards. It is really easy to write down everything you are thinking, which looks sloppy to the partner watching you.

Interview Question – What if all the information you were given is wrong (group case)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they bring in all the summer associates at the same level

Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Deloitte in June 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was probably the best that I have experienced. I was one of about 12 people getting interviewed and was really impressed with the organization and over all process. I left Deloitte excited to be part of the company. If you lack the integrity of what you put forth in your resume you will not do well.

Interview Question – The business case was probably the most trivial, and only because you either knew what you were talking about or you didn't.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was a simple process! Deloitte gathers pertinent information prior to sending out an offer.

Specialist Senior Interview

Specialist Senior
Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Deloitte in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was expecting technical interview as should be the case for technical position applied, but no technical questions were asked. The lady who interviewed was not technical, and didn't know much about the programming

Interview Question – None. They look at how well you can communicate. No skills evaluated   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Deloitte in May 2010.

Interview Details – My interview was nearly 10 years ago and the people interviewing me had little to no experience in the field in which I was interviewing. The Federal group at Deloitte was young then and they had commercial Deloitte personnel leading it - so they didn't understand the Federal government nor it's processes.

Interview Question – there were no unexpected questions, just some that were revealing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it was rather easy - they wanted me and I liked the people -

Transfer Pricing Consultant Interview

Transfer Pricing Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Deloitte in May 2014.

Interview Details – Had a first round phone interview and then a full-day final round. Day-long interview included several written tests (math, writing, analytical), a sales pitch, and a group transfer pricing exercise and presentation. Exercise was surprisingly technical rather than a general aptitude/intelligence test. Very friendly throughout, but long. HR contact was uncommunicative after the interview.

Interview Question – Explain why transfer pricing has become an increasingly important part of multinational business strategy.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Deloitte in January 2010.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, 2 cases in the final interview. It was more of a discussion than an interview. It was all about trying to explain who I am as a person. Very typical, no curve balls. The people were genuinely interested in getting to know me.

Interview Question – None really. Hardest thing was to differentiate my candidature compared to other students on campus.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none

Very Difficult Interview

Documentation Specialist Interview

Documentation Specialist
New Carrollton, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Deloitte in June 2011.

Interview Details – Via a phone interview, a recruiter hired me to be a consultant to Deloitte Consulting. I had to then interview with a Deloitte employee, but the interview was forced and difficult even though I did land the job. The hiring process was fairly straightforward since I was a 1099 consultant and not a Deloitte employee.

Interview Question – I jumped through the interview hoops and was offered the job. The most difficult part of the interview was the interviewer who practically ran from the front desk to the office where she conducted the interview. I was in heels, so keeping up with her was a challenge.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very simple

Human Capital Analyst Interview

Human Capital Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Deloitte in May 2014.

Interview Details – First submitted my resume through an internal referral at the end of March and was contacted the next day to talk with a recruiter. That was very laid back and really just to get an idea of what you are looking for and to get some more details about your resume. Need to make sure you build a rapport with your recruiter, they're your advocate throughout the process.

Then was scheduled for an initial phone interview with a Senior Manager. Was very behavioral and asked about most difficult class I've ever had and why, other "Tell me about a time when..." questions. Focuses were primarily on leadership and dealing with conflict.

Then was granted a second phone interview with another Senior Manager which was much more technical and went through a lot of the specific research experience that I had. He seemed to be gathering how much experience I had with it and what I felt comfortable with.

From there I was flown in to the Arlington Office, all expenses paid, for three in person interviews. One case and two behavioral interviews. The case was pretty straightforward and based off of actual client engagements that they are working on. Interesting to see what you would be doing and how you would handle solving the issues and the presenting resolutions to the client. Got an email the same day saying that I got positive feedback and was scheduled to talk with the Principal in charge. From there I was given a verbal offer and had the paperwork in the next two days.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. They were very clear about the process, make sure you know about Deloitte itself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't do much negotiation, it's a pretty standard package based on experience and education (I have my masters). Was very fair.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!