Delta Air Lines Interview Questions in Atlanta, GA

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied in early Oct. 2013

Got a call back first week in January 2014
    Was told I needed to have passport to proceed further did that.
    Got a second call back the following week and was asked 4 questions.

What to do if a passenger appears intoxicated?
    What to do if a child was asleep on the floor while the fasten seat belt sign is on?
    How would you handle a passenger in a situation where the food item they wanted was not available?
    How would you handle a child running down the isle?

Then I was asked 4 more questions on that same call

A time you went above and beyond for a customer?
    A time when you persuaded others to do something new?
    A time when a co worker was being unfair or dishonest?
    How would you deal with a difficult customer... and how did you handle it, what was the outcome?

I got a call back the next day and was invited to a face to face interview for the following week.

About 60 of us met at 7:30 am in the lobby of delta facility.

*REMEMBER TO SMILE THE WHOLE WHILE AND INTERACT WITH AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN* Also please dress neat and business like do not wear a suit that is to tight have nails done and look sharp.

You go across the street to another building where you are met by about 20 experienced Delta Flight Attendants and a few HR people who line the walls of the room.
    You are then serenaded by the crew totally awesome! then led into a room where you will introduce yourself and tell if you speak another language and what work you are currently doing.

We were divided into three groups A, B, and C. I was in B group.

Each group had designated areas to go

-Watch video of life as a FA
    -Fire side chat where you ask questions have your picture taken and measure for over head reach and jumpseat fit.
    -Then the face to face interview

You will alternate to each area until everyone has had a chance to go to all areas
    remember to use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action & Result) method when answering interview questions, always smile and be upbeat! These are some questions they may ask or questions simular to these. There are two interviewers in the room and the are writing the whole time you are talking. But don't be alarmed they are listening carefully.

Describe to me a time you overcame a problem at work? How did you handle it? And what was the outcome?

What do you do when a co-worker works at a slow pace?

How did you handle working with a co-worker you knew did not like you, how did you handle it?

What are some of your strengths? And worst faults?

Describe a conflict that you had with a manager, how did you handle it? How was it resolved?

If a co-worker was removing things from the aircraft would you confront them or tell management?

Why would you make a good Flight Attendant?

What do you know about the company?

Create a PA Announcement for couple celebrating their 50th year anniversary

After that they gather all the groups together in the meeting room and conclude the process by saying they will contact you via email to let you know if you are hired which they do do, however if there are candidates that have stood out they keep them behind and explain that they have additional information they need to get from these people. They called six names and I was one of the six asked to stay behind.
    We were offered the job and whisked away to HR to complete some paperwork.
    Fingerprints done and given a training date.

It is now Feburary 2014 and I have a week and a half to go before I begin training in March and I am super excited! I hope this info helps you as it did me when I researched the Delta interview process and as you can see it worked. I am hope this can help you as it has helped me to be 100% prepared.

Interview Questions

• Create a PA Announcement for couple celebrating their 50th year anniversary   119 Answers

Negotiation

None I excepted all terms and conditions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied on the 5th of November and got an email immediately after telling me to complete an online assessment.The next time I heard from them was on the 17th informing me that they had selected me to move forward to the next step in the selection process, which is a recorded interview. I then got a third email on the same day, the 17th, containing a link to the video interview that needed to be completed within 3 days. I completed mine on the 19th and got a confirmation email thanking me. Be sure to keep this email saved.
    I received a fourth email on the 26th at 10am informing me to keep my passport handy as they would be contacting me in the next week to 10 days between 9am and 9pm then they called me on the same day, the 26th, from an unknown (Private) number at 3pm to inform me that I would be attending a face to face interview in Atlanta. The person who called gave me a brief overview of what to wear and what to do, then asked for my passport details and told me to expect an email containing more details of available time slots and directions to the interview facility in Atlanta.
    Three days later, on the 29th at 1pm, I received a fifth email with 6 time slots. I was supposed to reply within 24hrs,listing the dates in order of preference. After I replied with my 7.30am Thursday selection, they sent me a seventh email on the same day at 7pm confirming that my interview had been scheduled for the 4th.
    On December 1st, I received my flight tickets in two separate emails, making these the 8th and the 9th emails. On the 2nd at 11am, I got the 10th email with attachments that contained hotel information (expense not covered), driving directions and required documentation, but then later on at around 12.30pm, I received a second call that my video interview had not been completed despite the fact that I had already done so and gotten a confirmation email. The caller advised me to send the confirmation email as proof to an email address he provided. I'm guessing they figured the video thing out since they never got back to me to ask me anything further.
    On the day of the interview, we were about 50 interviewees in the lobby dressed professionally. Then, a flight attendant came in and gave us see through packets to put our resume, applications, passports, and any other ID docs in. Each person was assigned one of three groups; A, B or C. I was in C.
    The process began in a different room. It was up to us to walk up to the flight attendants and engage in conversation. They don't tell you this, but they want to see you work the room. I talked to everyone and everybody, both flight attendants and my fellow interviewees. Not once was I not smiling and I tried to remember everyone’s names. After that, we settled down. The interviewees sat in the middle of the room while the FA's stood surrounding us. They then had a little dance presentation to showcase their fun side. We were all clapping, laughing and singing along, and if their goal was to get us relaxed, it definitely worked for me!
    There were three parts: Destination Delta, Fireside Chat and finally the Face to face interviews. Each group of around 15 people was rotated every thirty minutes.
    At destination Delta, we each introduced ourselves then the flight attendant in charge talked about Salary, Uniforms and the flight attendant lifestyle at Delta.
    At the Fireside Chat, the flight attendant in charge had placards with different questions and he would hand one to each of us so we could read out loud and answer. We were also led out one by one to do the reach test, jump seat fitting and to have our pictures taken.
    During the face to face interview, I had a HR representative and a Flight attendant asking me the questions. The most crucial thing at this time is to know the STAR=Situation, Task, Action, Result format of answering questions. They also have a chart on the wall that you can glance up to in case you get lost in your narration, and they give you a note pad to scribble onto. There were a total of 6 questions.
    After everyone was done, we sat down again and the FA's stood surrounding us, then the person in charge made the announcement that the day had come to an end. She also said that everyone should be able to hear back from them in seven to ten business days, but also added that some of us would be hearing from them on that day. She then called fifteen of us and told us to stay behind but didn't tell us why at first. Later on, after all the others had left, she said it was for a survey. I was a bit shocked when she asked "We were wondering if you would like a conditional job offer”, then all the other Flight Attendants started clapping, and I realized that we were the few who had been chosen to receive a CJO!!

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about a time you were expected to break the rules!!   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Process was just as everyone described, which helped me prepare well. Best people I have ever met for an interview and it was a wonderful experience. Only 6 people from both groups advanced to CJOs. Completed HR paperwork and fingerprinting. Went for drug test within 2 business days. Waiting on all checks to come back favorably to obtain training date.

Interview Questions

• Name a time a manager expected you to be unethical. Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations. I accepted all terms.

Flight Attendant (Spanish Speaker) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied about a month ago on a Wednesday, the following day I got an email instructing me to complete an online assessment which I did. Following Wednesday I got an email asking me to complete a video interview which I did. Next Wednesday I got an email to complete a spanish video interview. After all of this I was feeling confident because I was clearly moving along. I received an unknown call around two days later from a lady at Delta asking me a few more questions and inviting me to Atlanta for a face to face. She told me I would receive an email with the available slots for interviews and here I am now waiting on them to confirm my slot preferences. I would like to know what questions they ask for the F2F.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you witnessed a coworker or colleague breaking the rules or acting in a dishonest or unprofessional manner. What was the situation? What actions did you take and what were the results   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you worked on a team with someone who did not do his or her share of the work. What was the situation? What actions did you take and what were the results?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to defuse a situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I said yes I got the offer because I want to be very positive i will achieve. But I still have to go to ATL

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

multiple steps, very systematic! the process was FAST and Delta put a turn-around time deadline on everything. (i.e. "please respond within 24 hours" or "we will contact you within 10 business days"). now this might have been b/c they were approaching the end of a hiring cycle, but i feel like Delta is typically super organized, which totally suits my Type-A personality!

first i applied online, completing a short survey - say YES to relocating! then about 2 months later, i received an email to complete the online application, which is super detailed. asks for the past 10 years of work/volunteer/education history, 3 non-employer references, traffic violations. woah! and as soon as i submitted that, then i took an online assessment (~90 questions re: your personality, psychology, work habits. suppposed to take ~25 min, i took ~45 cuz i overthink things.) i can't remember exactly what came next, but i think it was the "digital interview". this is tough more so b/c of the logistics, let alone the content. logistically, plan to spend a few hours in a quiet, well-lit place, practicing speaking/looking into your webcam as though you're looking at the interviewer. you can do practice questions, check if your framing is good, your zoom, your lighting, camera angle (you're like a frickin' Assistant Director!). be dressed and made up as you would for an in-person interview. 5 questions, 2 minutes max each, no re-recording for the real thing. it's kinda fun, as long as you feel prepared. USE THE STAR METHOD OF ANSWERING: state the Situation, the Task, the Actions you took, and the Results. this is true for the Face-to-Face as well.

then within a week or 2, i received an email saying Delta would like to have a phone interview. YOU MUST HAVE A CURRENT PASSPORT in your possession for this call - so i had to postpone mine a few days, which was not a big deal. in this call, a super nice Delta rep went over uniform guidelines, asked what i thought about their informational videos on their webiste, and asked for the passport info. i supposed i "passed" b/c then she said i would be receiving an email to schedule me for an In-Person interview in Atlanta. scheduling that was like a circus cuz i was so busy, but again, I kept the communication open and prompt, and they seemed to be able to work with me. after rescheduling 3 times, we booked an interview date & time (it was a fews days out). you do have to pay for any lodging though.

honestly, the f-2-f was intense but really fun. they provide snacks and water, so no need to bring extraneous stuff with you. just look the part and be professional. about 30 FAs and HR folks were there to meet and chat with us. smile the whole time. put your phone away for the WHOLE TIME. did a 2-on-1 interview of 6 questions, using the STAR method. did a height reach test (no shoes) and jump seat fitting. then the group of us got an orientation of the job details. then they asked 7 of the 17 of us to stay. i was not asked to stay (i def was a bit sloppy on my STAR method, and i think i'm too short at 5'0") but again, i had fun and learned a lot about how to improve for future airline interviews!

Interview Questions

• tell us about a time when you made a mistake that could have impacted a work project or activity, and you were the first one to realize the mistake?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied in early March. A few days later I recieved an invitation to conduct an online interview, which consisted of 5 questions. The questions were all in the STAR format. I wore a black suit jacket, minimal makeup and jewelry, hair down, and I smiled a lot. I was able to find ALL five questions online and I was prepared. A few days later I received an email telling me to expect a phone call. They called me that night and I missed the phone call… if this happens don't stress out too much because they did call me back a couple of days later. During the phone call I was asked if I would be ok with working weekends, holidays, etc., I was told about the uniform standards, asked about visible tattoos, and asked for my passport information. She then congratulated me on making it to an interview in Atlanta, GA. Someone called me the next day and made arrangements for flight and interview time.

My interview was at 7:30am. I live on the west coast so I flew in the night before. I stayed at the Sheraton Airport hotel, they have a free shuttle that leaves at 6:45, or so, that is for interview candidates and employees that goes directly to Delta headquarters. Piece of cake.

I arrived at Delta about 7:00am, checked in at the guard shack, and met with other candidates in the lobby. My group was very small, only about 10 people were there. Two flight attendants greeted us, took our paperwork, and took us upstairs. When you get upstairs you are taken to a room that looks like a flight lounge. There are HR people and flight attendants waiting in the room. It is up to you to go up and introduce yourself and mingle. Some FA were very nice and some were a little "short", almost like they were annoyed at having to answer any questions you were asking, or maybe burned out on the interview process. Ask them questions about what it is like to be a FA, do not talk too much about yourself.

They asked us to be seated, they sang and danced for us (honestly a little awkward), but they are at least trying to calm everyone's nerves, which is nice. A flight attendant approached me, introduced herself, and we went into a room with someone from HR. The FA was very nice, the HR was a little stuffy. Remember their names, later on someone WILL ask you who interviewed you. They explain to you that there will be six questions asked and to answer in the STAR format. There is a poster on the wall for reference if you need it. Some of the questions were the same as the video interview, which I thought was strange. They are writing the whole time you are answering. Still smile, I didn't... I totally forgot at this point. But it matters a great deal.

After, we went back into the lounge, someone took me to have the reach test, picture taken, asked me again about tattoos. After, I returned to lounge and mingled again with the FA. Then they took us into another room where a FA explains about reserve, bases, pay, how terrible your lifestyle will be (seriously, I'm all for realism, but it came off as negative) etc., Then we went in front of the group and you have to state your name, where you live, languages spoken, and what you do for a living. Again, smile, there are HR and FA in the back watching you and taking notes.

After we went back to the lounge, they thanked us and called out three names, mine was not one of them. The rest of us got on the shuttle back to the airport. Because the group was small, It only took 2 hours, which meant I had about 6 hours to kill at the airport.

The three that were chosen did NOT dress like FAs, one was in a mis-matched suit and wore a wedge heel (more business casual than business attire) still looked pulled together though, another female was wearing pants. The ones that were chosen were also very reserved, I tend to be outgoing, a little sarcastic, and chatty, which I believed worked against me. But made me aware that this is not the airline for me. I wore a black suit with a knee length skirt, and black heels, hair back. Oh and pearls…. no one that was chosen wore pearls…. I don't know why they send you a pre-interview video stating that "Delta likes their pearls".

Being on the shuttle was very depressing for me, not because I really wanted it, but because the others who did were crushed, you could see it on their faces… I decided the night before that it would be too much for me to commute, etc. and I wouldn't take the offer even if it happened, so I probably didn't really try that hard.

This was the first time that I ever applied for a FA position, it happened a lot faster than I anticipated. They really do try to make you feel comfortable, although for me, it came off a little like "We're Delta, and you should all be sooooo nervous!" But there were some really nervous people there, so I get why they make an effort. Overall, it was a good experience and I met some great people.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you went above and beyond the call of duty for a customer.
      Name a time that you offered excellent customer service.
      Name a time that you had to work together as a team to achieve a goal.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I applied at Delta and was flown into the Atlanta HQ about a week and a half after I applied. They start by having you give them your paper work (passport, application, school records etc). We went into an upstairs room and they split us up into 2 groups. Group one did the f2f and group two listened to a description of the job. They also had us stand on a star and state some information. Be modest, and speak loud with a smile, and stand on the star. Basic following directions. After that our group did the f2f. Typical questions. They tell you that day if you get a CJO. Do not let them fool you with hope that you may get an e-mail offer. The main manager told us "jokingly" that they had three spots open, and they only kept three people. I think that was rude of them to do. They didn't do it discreetly. They announce to the whole room who made it and give everyone who didn't false hope.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

I just had a video interview I hope I did good. I tried to stay relaxed as possible even though my nerves made my voice shaky in the first question. I answered all the questions remembering star as I smiled and showed personality so hopefully I get a call soon!!

Interview Questions

• Please describe a time when you demonstrated initiative and took action without waiting for directions. What was the situation? What actions did you take and what was the results?   Answer Question
    • Tell us a time when you had to work with someone with a difficult personality. What made this person difficult and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

First online application, then profile, then assessment, then recorded interview (5 questions, 30 seconds preparation 2 minute record time), phone call (make sure you have a passport handy!), lastly face to face in Atlanta! They use the STAR method for recorded interview and F2F. Situation, Task, Action, Result. Your answers should be specific to one occurrence and go through the whole occurrence. At the end of the day in ATL, they offered the position to 6 people and told everyone else to watch for an email. I am still waiting.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Okay so im going to start by saying this is a great company to work for (so i heard) but the way they conduct their interviews are terrible. I submitted my application and got an email back about a week later asking to do the video interview, after i submitted that i got an email about 3 days later saying they will contact me within a week for for a phone interview, instead of a week it was that night, the phone interview was easy she pretty much asked if i had any tattoos (say no if even if you do if you really want the job because this will disqualify you, be willing to conceal any visible tattoos) asked if i am willing to relocate, and also am i willing to follow dress code procedures. At the end of the call she said i will be sending you an email for a F2F interview make sure you send up to 6 time slots. unfortunatly i was unable to come to neither one of them, they then email me with more time slots. i set up a time slot for a friday and 2 days later i was sent flight arrangements (my flight arrangements was the same day round trip, if they are unable to get you same day arrangements u are forced to get a hotel at your own expense).
    The BIG DAy
    I arrived in Atlanta around 9:50 my interview was scheduled for 12:30 but trust me you want to get to the facilities right away my uber driver got lost and the extra time was will needed, i do recommend that you get something to eat because all they feed u is the stuff they have on the plane (peanuts,juice,water) even though your pretty much there all day thats all u get to eat. And you have to get your own transportation to the facilities. There was about 40 of us, this was considered a small group. and then like others said the delta did a dance then you were split into 3 groups ABC (fire chat, company benefits, and f2f interview with 2:1) and remember during the fire chat/reach test they ask if you have any tattoos say no, even if you do to be considered for the positon.
    I researched alot of what to do during the whole day process, most if not all people said smile, be interactive, and associate with your peers, and let me tell you that does not work. all that does is cause your cheeks to hurt and pretty much makes you feel like youve wasted your breath. they send you a video in the email and tell you to watch it and pretty much tells you how to dress and what to do. but do not follow the instructions in the video that will lead you to failure. Basically they were looking for outsiders, people who didnt say to much, and where differently dressed, other than the typical navy suite, black suite, red nails, and red scarfs. None of the interviews matter besides the f2f which i felt like was unfair because it didnt really ask you any questions about yourself or what would u do, its more like what have you done? Most of the people where interacting with the FA and others hoping that that will get them in door but that has no affect on wether or not you get chose. They choosen 5 people out ogf a group of 40 and let me tell you the room went completely silent. Of course they say, youll hear from us within the next 2 weeks..and hopefully ill see u in training...which i feel like is very fake and misleading, they wasted a bunch of people time and money. AND YOU DONT EAT! so i left feeling hungry and angry. but of course delta employees kept smiling at you and gave u high hopes on getting an email invitation when we knew for sure we didnt make the cut.