Delta Air Lines

Delta Air Lines Interview Questions

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Delta Air Lines in January 2014.

Applied in early Oct. 2013

Got a call back first week in January 2014
    Was told I needed to have passport to proceed further did that.
    Got a second call back the following week and was asked 4 questions.

What to do if a passenger appears intoxicated?
    What to do if a child was asleep on the floor while the fasten seat belt sign is on?
    How would you handle a passenger in a situation where the food item they wanted was not available?
    How would you handle a child running down the isle?

Then I was asked 4 more questions on that same call

A time you went above and beyond for a customer?
    A time when you persuaded others to do something new?
    A time when a co worker was being unfair or dishonest?
    How would you deal with a difficult customer... and how did you handle it, what was the outcome?

I got a call back the next day and was invited to a face to face interview for the following week.

About 60 of us met at 7:30 am in the lobby of delta facility.

*REMEMBER TO SMILE THE WHOLE WHILE AND INTERACT WITH AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN* Also please dress neat and business like do not wear a suit that is to tight have nails done and look sharp.

You go across the street to another building where you are met by about 20 experienced Delta Flight Attendants and a few HR people who line the walls of the room.
    You are then serenaded by the crew totally awesome! then led into a room where you will introduce yourself and tell if you speak another language and what work you are currently doing.

We were divided into three groups A, B, and C. I was in B group.

Each group had designated areas to go

-Watch video of life as a FA
    -Fire side chat where you ask questions have your picture taken and measure for over head reach and jumpseat fit.
    -Then the face to face interview

You will alternate to each area until everyone has had a chance to go to all areas
    remember to use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action & Result) method when answering interview questions, always smile and be upbeat! These are some questions they may ask or questions simular to these. There are two interviewers in the room and the are writing the whole time you are talking. But don't be alarmed they are listening carefully.

Describe to me a time you overcame a problem at work? How did you handle it? And what was the outcome?

What do you do when a co-worker works at a slow pace?

How did you handle working with a co-worker you knew did not like you, how did you handle it?

What are some of your strengths? And worst faults?

Describe a conflict that you had with a manager, how did you handle it? How was it resolved?

If a co-worker was removing things from the aircraft would you confront them or tell management?

Why would you make a good Flight Attendant?

What do you know about the company?

Create a PA Announcement for couple celebrating their 50th year anniversary

After that they gather all the groups together in the meeting room and conclude the process by saying they will contact you via email to let you know if you are hired which they do do, however if there are candidates that have stood out they keep them behind and explain that they have additional information they need to get from these people. They called six names and I was one of the six asked to stay behind.
    We were offered the job and whisked away to HR to complete some paperwork.
    Fingerprints done and given a training date.

It is now Feburary 2014 and I have a week and a half to go before I begin training in March and I am super excited! I hope this info helps you as it did me when I researched the Delta interview process and as you can see it worked. I am hope this can help you as it has helped me to be 100% prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Create a PA Announcement for couple celebrating their 50th year anniversary   View Answers (73)
    None I excepted all terms and conditions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Delta Air Lines in October 2014.

Most of the reviews on here are fairly spot on. I finished the F2F today and was one of the 12 that were offered at the end of the day.

I flew to ATL from NYC and after we landed, I introduced myself to the first class FA from my flight. When I told her I was there for the F2F she lit up and was so sweet. I asked her for advice and she really said to just be yourself. Don't worry about messing up and do your best. She ended our convo by saying that by me showing interest and introducing myself, she was confident I would get hired. This gave me a lot of confidence.

I found myself fairly well prepared by pre writing up some of my scenarios. I didn't study them but thought that if I pre wrote them out the morning of, they would be fresh in my mind. I also gave a quick read through the Delta Wiki page for some background and history. This HELPED.

I don't need to go over the initial meet and greet because everyone repeats it. I was very friendly and always smiled but I never interrupted anyone and always waited for a chance to introduce myself. At some points I felt as if I couldn't break into any group convo's so I went to the refreshment bar so that I wasn't just standing there not doing anything. I'm not someone who likes to feel forced into fake hello's so I just did my thing and was genuinely nice and friendly to those that seemed open to receiving it. In that sense I don't think I stood out that much.

Since I was in group A I was one of the first to have my 2 on 1 interview. I have to say that it went great. My two Delta employees were very nice and made me very comfortable. They offered a note pad for me to take notes and even though I didn't think I needed, I used it only because they stressed that it was available. I wasn't afraid to ask them to repeat the scenarios and I did pause for a few moments to really gather my thoughts. By doing this, I believe it helped me achieve the STAR answers they were looking for. In my mind, I felt I was rushing through my stories and when I would finish I would ask if that was enough or if I covered everything on STAR. They really liked that I asked and stated that they would let me know if I had not covered enough. The 6 questions went by SO fast. At the end they asked if I had any questions. I told them that I felt weird because I knew I was suppose to be asking them questions, and that I thought about it the entire flight there but I could honestly not think of anything that I was super curious about. They actually gave me two questions to ask the FA's in case I had a chance further in the day. This really helped!

Fireside chat was great. I was able to give a great response on the history of Delta. I made it short and sweet and added a personal touch to it.

The rest has pretty much been explained.

Some final things to point out (and I'm not sure if this helped me get picked)
    but I did not wear Blue/Navy/or Red. I chose a grey suit with a lavender shirt. Nice black tie with black shoes, polished.

Don't be pushy, controversial, never slouch, always seem alert and listening and don't interrupt. I never tried to take attention away from anyone and although the FA's that are there constantly make fun of each other, I never tried to get in on their jokes. I notices a few of the candidates do so and it didn't seem to go over so well.

I also tried to listen to the candidates back stories (where they were from, their hobby's or current jobs) and later in the day spoke to those I felt I had a common experience to share with.

They chose 12 of us at the end of the day and I have to say that ALL of us were different.
    Two were current FA's for another airline
    and 1 guy currently worked for Delta in another position.
    I overhead people say that they were only picking young people but this is definitely not true.
    I think they want a certain person who stays calm, isn't showy, but can leave an impression.

Overall this was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. I've never felt so welcomed and happy to be apart of a group of people.

I actually teared up a bit while waiting for my flight home.

I'm so happy to have been picked and can't wait to receive my date for training!

Congrats to all those who have made it and to those who haven't keep trying! Thank you Delta!

Interview Questions
    • Don't ask the FA's about how much they travel or what cool places they have been. Ask them things like "Whats your most memorable flight experience." "How does your body adjust to being 30,000 feet in the air all the time. Do you start to feel different?" "How excited are you to be moving up in seniority after we are all hired?"   View Answers (8)

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Delta Air Lines in September 2014.

I applied online and got an email 2 weeks later for a online interview. There were 4 questions. You get 30 seconds to think about it and 3 minutes to answer. They give you a few practice questions that you can record and review. You only get one try for the actual questions. This threw me off as there was a post that said you could re-record them. This is not true. I found it more difficult than a live interview because you can't make actual contact with a person per phone or f2f. I had to constantly keep reminding myself to look at the camera but I know my eyes kept wandering off.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you caught a co-worker being dishonest. What did you do and what was the outcome. Tell me a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who did not like you. What did you do and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Delta Air Lines.

Applied initially online, and took the "personality" assessment. About 5 weeks later was contacted to submit a one-sided video interview. They ask you 5 questions, you have 30 seconds to prepare, and 2 minutes to answer the question. You also get a break in between each question which is nice! All the questions I was asked have been submitted on this website, so nothing unexpected. I submitted my video a week ago and I'm waiting to hear back...

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a situation when you demonstrated initiative and took action without waiting for direction. What was the situation? What actions did you take and what were the results?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you had to work with someone with a difficult personality. What made this person difficult and how did you handle it? What were the results?   Answer Question
    • Give us an example of a choice you made to go above and beyond what was needed to satisfy a customer. What was the situation? What actions did you take and what were the results?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you worked on a team with someone who did not do his or her share of the work. What was the situation? What actions did you take and what were the results?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you witnessed a coworker or colleague breaking the rules or acting in a dishonest or unprofessional manner. What was the situation? What actions did you take and what were the results?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online and within two weeks 17th Oct I got an email from Hireview for video interview. There were five questions asked well known to glass door readers.

Describe a situation where you took an initiative what was your action and the result?
    At a time when co worker is not doing her part of job what was your reaction and what happened?
    Describe a situation when you see other employee dishonest or stealing what was your action and what was the result?
    Describe a situation when you went above and beyond your duty what you did and what happened?
    Describe a situation when.....
    Well I couldn't remind the 5th one but you can definitely see in pervious discussions.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Delta Air Lines.

I was emailed and asked to do an online video interview. They asked pretty general questions that you would get asked in pretty much any basic interview. After I sent it it took a long time for them to respond.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle working with a difficult co worker?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Went for my face to face interview with Delta airlines , after passing the assessment, two video interviews and the telephone interview.
    I found the whole f2f process that Delta uses to be rather silly, immature and condescending. Not to mention , disrespectful ....since all of us only received our emails with travel, hotel and documentation info the day before we were to leave. Because of this, many people could not find rooms and were forced to stay in hotels about an hour away.

After you arrive, You are ushered Into a room with applause and then they break into a song and dance of pharrells Happy. All this time you are being observed , so you better smile and laugh, no matter how silly you feel this is. Then you are divided into groups. In group A I was taken to a one on one interview with hr and a fa. They never once look up at you during this interview, as they were both to busy writing notes. I found that really impersonal! After you are shown into a room where an fa spends about 45 mins telling us about the benefits that about 90 rejectees in the room will never use. What's the point of that? Not to mention the fa kept telling us that he couldn't wait for us to be hired because his seniority would go up. Also, he kept getting on the floor and telling us we would be down here while he would be up there! Wow.... Way to make you feel welcome! Then , we were taken over to a another area for what they called "fireside chat". During this time we picked a card with a question and answered it in front of everyone. Which would have been fine, except that the fa leading this kept bragging after each of our answers and just would go on and on about how great he was and how he had almost single handedly saved the company from bankruptcy. Let's not forget..... That during all this we were being observed by staff all lined up against the walls, as if we were lab rats. I thought my face was going to crack.... Because we better keep smiling!!! Then we were measured and one of their elderly flight attendants was in the room and got up and hugged me. I thought .... How sweet of her.... Until they later asked us... Did you all get your hugs? I felt like I was in kindergarten rather than a job interview!!! Then we are left to socialize and be observed until they decide that only ten people out of a room of 100 will be picked. I am sure they bypassed many good people in this very goofy process, where it is impossible to be yourself , because they expect you to fit this mold of silliness that they have developed.

I decided early on in this day that this was not a company that I would be happy working for, since they treated us with little respect and like children. Two words to Delta.... "Grow up!! "

Interview Questions
    • Give us a project you worked on and what was the result?   Answer Question

I will be declining them as I lost respect for them after this very weird interview process.

Customer Expeience Specialist Cincinnati OH Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Delta Air Lines.

I did the online application and assessment. Was contacted about 1 week later to do an audio interview. I only had 3 days to complete it. I did the audio interview. 4 days later I got an email to go to do a Face to face interview. I go for that next week.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you could not meet a deadline. What was the deadline? How long did it take you to meet the deadline? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to deal with a unhappy customer. What was the situation? How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What about your background and experience makes you a good candidate for this position?   Answer Question

MBA Finance Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Delta Air Lines.

The first round consisted of two technical interviews, focused around specific metrics used in airlines. Second round was three technical interviews and followed the same format, including a lunch with current associates from the program. Delta seemed very focused on not only your technical ability, but also your fit with the company, interest in airlines, and desire to live in Atlanta.

The offer decision took 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to have to provide accounting journal entries during the interview, but the ones they asked were transaction based and not that challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Delta Air Lines.

I applied the first week of September, received an invite for a digital interview on September 11th, and received an in person interview invitation on September 25th (Which took place the first week of October)
    Face to Face Interview
    Upon arrival, there were plenty of flight attendants to greet you. The primary speaker who relayed instructions and insight for our upcoming experience was personable however I can’t say the same for the remainder of the staff present. It came off very "forced" in my opinion and the energy was very "sheep herding". I felt as if I was pledging for a sorority.
    Ensure that you have your application printed, the required documentation indicated on the initial email for the invite as in addition to your social security card. They did not indicate a social was required outside of your passport and ID but were seemingly disappointed in those who did not have it.
    After providing all documentation into a clear folder provided, they set aside the luggage for those that traveled and ushered us into a room where there incorporated a brief dance number to oddly low volume "Happy" by Pharrel. From there they assigned us group letters A, B, or C. I was in group C. My group had a "get to know Delta" session first, jump seat fitting/"undercover interview second (further explanation soon) and the two on one interview last.
    Part 1: During the get to know Delta, the male flight attendant was entertaining overall and managed to make everyone feel at ease. There was what some may have felt to be light hearted humor but potential professionally inappropriate comments made about his excitement for his seniority boost with the newly hired FA’s. He made it a point to inform us not to get our hopes up for international trips early on in our FA career since seniority usually gets 'first dibs' and he looked forward to our in flight training so he can sit back and watch us work.
    We were asked to individually introduce ourselves to the group by telling our name, languages we speak, previous/current line of work and the last bit I can't remember.
    Part 2: We sat in a group and interacted with another male Flight Attendant who essentially piggy backed off the previous delta information session. In the meantime each member of the group was called one at a time to be fitted for the jump seat and their photo was taken. When I returned from getting fitted a bowl was passed around filled with cards with random questions He selected random people to answer the questions and HR maneuvered their way to the rear of the room to observe the answers...so take it as an interview question.
    At the tail end one of the interviewees asked the Flight attendant aside from the flight benefits, what would he say he most appreciated about working for the company for more than 20+ years? The flight attendants response, "well what do you think?" I recall his response being really awkward and underlying combative. This is just an example of the ongoing tone of the environment. Just odd....
    Part 3: The face to face interview was conducted (I use that term loosely) by a member of HR, in my case a woman and a Flight attendant (a woman also). You would have thought the Flight Attendant was the HR Representative. She constantly cut the woman off mid question during the interview and it created a very awkward setting.
    The HR rep asked me three questions. They are very by the book with the STAR format. They indicated they had not reviewed any of my employment background so they have no clue about my work history. They asked me very work specific questions verbatim to digital interview and in the STAR method. Both wrote down my answers as I gave them on a worksheet. The flight attendant seemed to have difficulty taking note of my answers while simultaneously listening to the point that her follow up questions had been answered already and the HR lady felt the need to bring her up to speed at some point during the interview.
    When the time came for the flight attendant to ask her questions, the same follow up questions came to follow. At one point they were so redundant, I questioned whether I was answering her sufficiently. Out of concern (because clearly I wanted to ensure this went smoothly for what really is my dream job) I asked "Did I answer your question ok?" Her response was shocking, "Yes and if you didn't then I would certainly as you another question, now wouldn't I?". Off putting much?
    At that point, I knew this work environment was not the proper fit for me. There were an abnormal amount of odd personalities. I'd say out of the 50 people there, about 8 were chosen. I know a number of flight attendants from many different airlines who initially warned me about the experience they had with Delta in their interview process but I had no idea!
    So to those who are in the process, best of luck!!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when a colleague or coworker tried to get you to break the rules.   View Answer